1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

Weber Monocouche - should it REALLY look like this?

Discussion in 'Plastering & Rendering Projects' started by DaveH22, Nov 28, 2017.

1. DaveH22

DaveH22 New Member

Our builder, Bovis Homes and NHBC seem to think this is acceptable.
    House was built over a dry summer (2014).
    Extremely worried we can see the Celcon blocks underneath.
    What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. Cornelius

Cornelius Well-Known Member

Yeah I’ve seen that before with that type of finish , not quite as bad as that though. Give it six months and it will be filthy with dirt too.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. madmonk

madmonk Private Member

ghosting at it's best that's why I always do a base coat stops this

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cornelius

IVe always called it grinning, what’s happened? Blocks not fully dried out before rendering? Damp cavity? What’s the cause of it? Quite common problem I see on the newer houses

5. madmonk

madmonk Private Member

it's ghosting mate material might be on too thin then you get this also the cement joints lighter can show through I never get this when using a base coat at roughly 6mm

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Cornelius

You avoid one coat systems?

7. Topspread16

Topspread16 Active Member

It’s with top coating on block with no base, water holds in the compo bed a lot longer than it does it the block. If would of been sealed it may of prevented it a little longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Cornelius

Don’t often get this problem in good old sand cement finishes:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Daz76

Daz76 Member

Laid on too thin and should always base on celcon or similar block. Goes to prove what we all know.. big boy house builders are full of sh*t and have got the nhbc in their back pocket...f**kin jokers the lot of em

10. vfr12

vfr12 Private Member

Ffs the job has been done in 2014! If the pointing was wet or whatever till now would have been ok. To the op- if you want it redone , hack a small piece and show it to the c**t that tells you is ok! I guarantee is under 15mm and you have case there!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Topspread16

Topspread16 Active Member

I gets wet when it gets rained on it’s a porous breathable surface. Whether it’s 10mm thick or 30mm the outcome would be the same. Its the base and mesh that prevents the block reading through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. vfr12

vfr12 Private Member

It’s not, it’s the overall thickness of the render and the ability to deal with soaking/ drying. basecoat or not has very little to do in this case. Moisture is getting behind which in normal circumstances , @15mm say, it’s not very likely.

13. madmonk

madmonk Private Member

I recon it's about 10mm thick straight onto the block

14. madmonk

madmonk Private Member

if you can spray a good 15mm onto block that will be ok I only use a base coat cos it cuts down on mixing cos I haven't a machine so horses for courses

15. Nicm

Nicm Well-Known Member

Too much mortisicer used by block layers can cause the joints to show in the scratch coat.Theres one block layer local to me and he must have an additive fetish,Empty 5 gallon drums of the stuff everywhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mad monks on the money on this one,it's too thin otherwise you would see it on all mono jobs up and down the country,his guess is probs right one coat sucked in causing this coz it's not deep enough,spraying is fine you get yer depths mixing by hand big areas different ball game,

17. gps

gps Private Member

Contact Weber, get their advice then go back to bovis and nhbc if Weber believe application error has happened.
    Nhbc are useless mind, and not fit for purpose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

Thought that's what micro was for to even out the suction? I recon it's dried at different times i.e. Blocks and mortar which will have a slight colour difference. Shows up more in the rain also I think this should be done in two coats personally.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Builderboi

Builderboi Well-Known Member

Ffs just paint it

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. kebab king

kebab king Private Member

Its schocking to see that, such a pity cos it looks quite neat from the photos.

21. Jrend

Jrend Active Member

Bovis use a lot of celcon/lightweight block which is not suitable for mono of any kind. Any celcon block should have a base coat either rend aid micro hp 12 being the main 3 . The bovis sites we do have all changed now to 7nwt solids.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  22. zombie

zombie Private Member

More to the point why build a brand new house in block work and render!!!!

Render is shite end of!... only good for hiding discrepancies or otherwise known as fook ups in the building game!

Wouldn't have a rendered house given me personally!

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Ritch

Ritch Member

Bovis build both skins with thermalite block round my ways and prime the block before colour render goes on to control suction but it don’t do f**k all and all the houses look like this when it rains and I’m on a Barratt site rite next door there built with concrete block and no probs at all

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  24. DaveH22

DaveH22 New Member

Thank you! That’s incredibly interesting.
    I don’t suppose you have any technical reference I can quote do you?

25. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

:D

26. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

Because of a massive brick shortage, sand shortage, skilled bricklayers and maybe quicker to finish the insides? And I agree rendering is a poor mans brick ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Daz76

Daz76 Member

Contact weber s technical department and they ll let u no what materials should hav been used on the block . It ll b worth finding out the details of the celcon blocks used on the house 1st but u ll get all.that off the manufacturer aswell. And bovis+nhbc will hav to give u all the information u need. If ot put it all ova facebook etc u ll b suprised how quick bad press gets them moving

• Like Like x 1
  28. madmonk

madmonk Private Member

You can bet your life Weber will say should have rendaid on anything less than 7n blocks

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Vincey

Vincey Private Member

Tbf it’s the building company who should be sorting a solution imo

30. simplybesty

simplybesty Private Member

Lol, contact Weber and all they will do is blame the renderer. The builder will just paint it .

31. Rigsby

Rigsby Private Member

Don’t remind me!

You did warm though.