Were spats and the like available 30 plus years ago

Members online

Vincey

Private Member
Was thinking this the other day were they around years ago any way but plasterers weren’t as aware of them as much as they are now or say over the last 10 years ish?

I left work early for the game mate , stuff the spats have a drink on me tonight mate , I even bought a new flag
God I hope it doesn’t go to penalties lol

i was a nervous wreck leaving site !!
having a beer now to relax a bit....cant wait vincey mate !!

Was thinking this the other day were they around years ago any way but plasterers weren’t as aware of them as much as they are now or say over the last 10 years ish?
I've heard of spreads using plastic 30 years ago (well before my time of course)

If you think tpf has been about near 15 years now and before that very few plasterers would chat to each other it must have been hard to get any new tools out to market.

Even the early days of tpf it was hard work even suggesting using another trowel let alone a different tool altogwther

Was thinking this the other day were they around years ago

Yup.

FADS119-8x10-240x300.jpg

Cavity closer
Were cavity closers even about 30 years ago Gary? They certainly weren't used on any jobs I worked on.
I remember my old man telling me about some rough spreads that had strips of rubber tacked to the edge of their feather edges, that was fifty years or so ago.

We used a spat in the nineties when we used universal one coat, it had a similar blade to the flex blade trowels out now. Once you had finished with the feather edge and everything was flat and filled out the spat was used to open the surface to help it set before sponging.

I started plastering in the 80s my boss gave me a old mt trowel of his 11 inch i think that was the norn trowel in those days never seen a spat back then you had two trowel s back then at the most a bucket and a plunger and a few hand tools most trades men then went to work in a car ownley the builder had a van old transit mostly with the door hanging off and maybe 20 men in the back all smoking those were the days

I started plastering in the 80s my boss gave me a old mt trowel of his 11 inch i think that was the norn trowel in those days never seen a spat back then you had two trowel s back then at the most a bucket and a plunger and a few hand tools most trades men then went to work in a car ownley the builder had a van old transit mostly with the door hanging off and maybe 20 men in the back all smoking those were the days[/QUOTES. On the button, the good old days lol

Back in the day you had a trowel, probably a tyzack, you had a Darby, you had a straight edge. You might have made your own hawk. You had a crossgrain float, and a load of 3gal buckets, and not a lot else.

the spat or a blade as the dutch called was in everyday use.
in the Netherlands when we first worked there in the early 90s.
lots of different sizes, with wooden handles. one swipe to finish the self finishing plaster.

Were cavity closers even about 30 years ago Gary? They certainly weren't used on any jobs I worked on.
I remember my old man telling me about some rough spreads that had strips of rubber tacked to the edge of their feather edges, that was fifty years or so ago.
Joke you numpty

the spat or a blade as the dutch called was in everyday use.
in the Netherlands when we first worked there in the early 90s.
lots of different sizes, with wooden handles. one swipe to finish the self finishing plaster.
Have you got a brand name for this self finish plaster malc?