Wet render

Members online

Dave Jones0367

Damp rendered area never really dries out and goes bad again after one night of rain.Corresponding bedroom wall is damp. Wall is solid brick, built around 1930. Small parapet wall appears intact and roofer has just replaced lead and soakers and checked tiles on other side. Roofer is adamant it's not the roof.Appreciate there is insufficient drip on ridge, however noone can find where so much water is entering the wall to give this problem.All advice appreciated.
Cheers.
IMG_20240303_164421841.jpg

Damp rendered area never really dries out and goes bad again after one night of rain.Corresponding bedroom wall is damp. Wall is solid brick, built around 1930. Small parapet wall appears intact and roofer has just replaced lead and soakers and checked tiles on other side. Roofer is adamant it's not the roof.Appreciate there is insufficient drip on ridge, however noone can find where so much water is entering the wall to give this problem.All advice appreciated.
Cheers.View attachment 77729

Poor design.

So many new builds are having the same fate round my way.

Bad copings and brick on edge, not even a creasing tike to slow down or redirect the cascading water.

Architects have lost their way.

s**t design focused purely on aesthetics.

Got to get the water off the building as quick as possible.

The actual run off of rain ,is hitting top of cladding .
@ this is actually your problem

That's kind to dog shite.
The house is a 1930 farmhands cottage with brick walls with a concrete,tile and brick parapet wall on gable adjoining the roof.
I think that to look more modern the walls have all been rendered by last owners however noone considered the run off from all the concrete within the parapet and how that will stain the render.
Also no consideration to how the render meets the drip edge of the parapet, therefore someone has filled gaps with coloured mortar.
What's the best way to clean the stains?
Anyone any advice on most probable area of leak which is causing the damp and if so best way of investigating and fixing?
Many Thanks.

Looks like monocouche render, it’s a s**t product that absorbs water.
That along with the lack of a drip, the timber cladding looks like it’s the cause.
Could be the mortar between the brick on edge too
Take the bricks off, lay a coping or creasing tile to create a decent 30mm minimum drip, then either relay the brick on edge or a nice coping stone
If your staying there get the render hacked off and redone with a silicone based thin coat system
If your moving paint and hope for the best

Thanks for advice, the house has two pitched roofs of similar design and after heavy rain the 3 other corners appear to hold water for several hours then dry out. However the one in the photo has definitely got a fault somewhere.The bricks on end appear new compared to the other roofs, looks like they may have been part of a fix that has probably caused more problems. I believe that last oner of house was a jack of all trades and master of none. Thanks.

Cheers.View attachment 77729
Hi , your problem is the bricks, if u look under a window cill u will see a grove or slot( which is a drip detail to stop the water running back to the wall). U could chop off just under them bricks about 50mm and get a renderer to put a bellbead on ,or u could possibly use what Ewi installers use on old terraced houses which have no overhang, I have use myself and they come in different sizes, not used one in a while but I think they are called verge trims ( ewistore) they stock them or look on internet etc.
Hope that helps

Hi , your problem is the bricks, if u look under a window cill u will see a grove or slot( which is a drip detail to stop the water running back to the wall). U could chop off just under them bricks about 50mm and get a renderer to put a bellbead on ,or u could possibly use what Ewi installers use on old terraced houses which have no overhang, I have use myself and they come in different sizes, not used one in a while but I think they are called verge trims ( ewistore) they stock them or look on internet etc.
Hope that helps
Thank you very much. Discussed your recommendation with a local renderer who appeared to understand and is coming out to have a look.