Whetstones

Members online

John j

Mono Don
Do the cheap screw fix ones do job or am I better getting ones a bit dearer. Need to bring these two mt on

Do the cheap screw fix ones do job or am I better getting ones a bit dearer. Need to bring these two mt on
I bought mine from a tool sale for £1 about twenty years ago. I'm sure it's nothing special, but it does the job perfectly, well until I broke the b*****d recently.

Got one of flea bay.
What's the reason for different coloured sides thanks
20190207_084228.jpg
20190207_084240.jpg

One side does feel coarser. Does it matter which side . Or would you use coarser on newer trowels
If you want to work on a new trowel or get a deep nick then use the coarse side and use the fine side for smaller nicks and polishing.
Mine had a lovely grove down the centre of both sides making it less likely for the trowel to slip off, until some daft b*****d (me) dropped and snapped it. Possibly the oldest item I use at work.

If you want to work on a new trowel or get a deep nick then use the coarse side and use the fine side for smaller nicks and polishing.
Mine had a lovely grove down the centre of both sides making it less likely for the trowel to slip off, until some daft b*d (me) dropped and snapped it. Possibly the oldest item I use at work.
Spanner.......Haha as it useful emoji lol

You put owt on stone . Oil etc. Got told to use olive oil
Mine has had lashings of light oil on it over the years. Lately I'll just flick a drop of water on it. Mind you I've just put the replacement stone in the case after breaking the original, muppet.

Mine had a lovely grove down the centre of both sides making it less likely for the trowel to slip off, until some daft b*d (me) dropped and snapped it. Possibly the oldest item I use at work.
always use a triangular saw file

Why do you have to use a stone on your trowel? Does it have to be sharp for some reason?

Why do you have to use a stone on your trowel? Does it have to be sharp for some reason?
Trowels naturally get very sharp and obviously the sharper they get the more prone to damage they become. An oilstone is the best way to rectify any nicks on the edge of the blade. I can't believe how few spreads carry one. Having said that a lot of guys seem to carry two dozen trowels about at all times.