Who rules off their render

Members online

Just curious as to how many people here use a straight edge when rendering as opposed to going by eye let us know why or why not
Are you for real? Use a notch rule always and h rule or derby, but only if the customers watching it make a you look like a professional, another tip to, always have a spirit level lying around it makes it look like your using it even if you ain’t

Don't talk f**k**g daft man. The serrated edge is so that those with poor eyesight can spot the low points they'd miss using a featheredge.
You know I'm self taught Ott lol , someone has to be blind not to see low points , never scratch in line with mortar , always 45° is that a waste of time as well

Ceiling board mid joists and all that lol

You know I'm self taught Ott lol , someone has to be blind not to see low points , never scratch in line with mortar , always 45° is that a waste of time as well

Ceiling board mid joists and all that lol
Jesus!

I've laid it on without ruling...smaller areas like 15-20m2 by hand, used to do it all the time with K Rend silicone FT before machines....but it was hard work with the I Bar.

I prefer to get it nice and flat at the start, then it's easy work at the end.

I've heard a few spreads just leave it serrated (no spat)?

Are you for real? Use a notch rule always and h rule or derby, but only if the customers watching it make a you look like a professional, another tip to, always have a spirit level lying around it makes it look like your using it even if you ain’t

I'll tell you what not to do is to take your eye off your level or leave it on site.

Columbo got nothing on a customer who finds you level. He'll check f**k out of everything you do.

Had one fella rang me to say his paths weren't level. Of course they're f**k**g not. They're not supposed to be.

Worked for an engineer once. t**t was out every day measuring things. Even had his wife out with his checking post and laser, getting behind me on his patio.

I'll tell you what not to do is to take your eye off your level or leave it on site.

Columbo got nothing on a customer who finds you level. He'll check f**k out of everything you do.

Had one fella rang me to say his paths weren't level. Of course they're f**k**g not. They're not supposed to be.

Worked for an engineer once. t**t was out every day measuring things. Even had his wife out with his checking post and laser, getting behind me on his patio.
I’ve worked for engineers before never again, it’s exactly as you say, measuring checking things are level and just trying to over complicate things in general, I walked away from a job earlier this year he was an engineer he wanted me to insulate down to a flat roof which I said no to and then down to ground floor level, I explained why but he was having none of it, the straw that broke the camels back was when there are live electric cables attached to his house I told him to get western power out to extend and insulate so they don’t arc to the scaff poles he told me there’s no need I’m an engineer and I can tell you 240v electricity only arcs 10mm he was a Complete w**k*r

I’ve worked for engineers before never again, it’s exactly as you say, measuring checking things are level and just trying to over complicate things in general, I walked away from a job earlier this year he was an engineer he wanted me to insulate down to a flat roof which I said no to and then down to ground floor level, I explained why but he was having none of it, the straw that broke the camels back was when there are live electric cables attached to his house I told him to get western power out to extend and insulate so they don’t arc to the scaff poles he told me there’s no need I’m an engineer and I can tell you 240v electricity only arcs 10mm he was a Complete w**k*r

Agree all engineers are pricks bey they all voted remain!!!!!

240v once arced 10mm to then of my trowel..........went all the way up my arm and right down to my toes and an invisible giant threw me off a pair of steps........ I like to think I learnt something that day.
That bloke was a complete tool, some poor t**t put some before pictures on LinkedIn aswell, I’ve been keeping my eye out for it but still ain’t seen any after pictures yet lol I wonder why

i used to work with a old school spread. Had all these different lengths of cut down pieces of Oak skirting he aquired from a job years ago. Amazing rules, nice to use.
I started with skirting , yellow pine ( I think )
Floats were as well and not much older than you can't remember what HAWK was made of , trowels were an expensive investment

i used to work with a old school spread. Had all these different lengths of cut down pieces of Oak skirting he aquired from a job years ago. Amazing rules, nice to use.
Same as that, but it was Douglas fir.......and for long beads, or corner profiles ( Keene’s cement)...a plumb rule! Check one one out, that’s old school.

When I started my old man only had one aluminum featheredge which was 5ft something long, so that it would fit diagonally across the boot of his car. I don't remember any subby spreads turning up in a van back then.

Depends on type of job I'm on....
Doing mostly lime work on property that could be 300 years old there's no way it's going to be spot on as walls are so far out ,so can go by eye...
.does need some character in it
If it's a modernish house then yes of course
Break out the feather edge or serated

Same as that, but it was Douglas fir.......and for long beads, or corner profiles ( Keene’s cement)...a plumb rule! Check one one out, that’s old school.
Still use a plumb Bob , water level , offcut of plasterboard for square and 3,4,5 regularly, have got a laser level but don't own a spirit level as I don't trust them lol , water levels go round corners