Why are quotes all over the shop?

Members online

Mos

Why are you folks soo crazy?

I've received quotes ranging from £1200 all the way to £4500!

Some think materials will cost around £1000 whilst others think they'll be £350.

I've had to approach 20 plasterers to get 4 to even come out and quote, despite all saying they want the work. A few even made a commitment to come and look at the job after giving a ballpark quote that seemed promising then didn't even bother to show.

I agreed on £1400 with one and he strung me along for nearly 3 weeks, and once we were a whole 10 days after he said he'd start, he'd only just ordered the materials.. And then on the day he should have started he didn't even turn up, no phone call, no messages. Gee, thanks mate.

Then another agreed to the job for the same price, waxing lyrical about how satisfied his customers are and how he can't defend any of the others I've dealt with, but he himself was a stand up guy who kept his word. An hour into the job...."Mo, this isn't gonna work, I've just got this funny feeling, and when I get a funny feeling things just don't go right, you need somebody on day rate to do this job, you want the job to too perfect, it's not possible, we discussed splaying the reveals on the veluxes (on the day I changed my mind & asked him to just use the insulated pb to close the gaps around the veluxes)- no one insulates the reveals its not a child spot, I worked for a loft conversion company and they never insulated the reveals!! You want the ceiling corners straight but I'm telling you it looks better rounded blah blah...." I says look if you want to splay them, fine, you wanna round the corners, fine, if it'll take a day longer, fine. I'll pay for the time no problem, I'm a reasonable guy.
But..."no I've already put the plasterboard back in the van mate, Its just not gonna work, when I get the wrong feeling then it won't work, the reveals are not square here / need to splayed there, i should have been done with the reveals for 4 veluxes in the 1st hour and I'm still doing them..."

Then off he put his tools Into the van, leaving me a cut piece of insulated pb as "goodwill" as if that could make up for the 2 weeks of waiting I had done for him.

Madness!

Where am I going wrong? Is there some special technique of dealing with your breed of tradesman that I need to deploy?

Is my budget of £1400 unreasonable for this job? I'm live in Bradford, which is relatively deprived city. Is it the case that quality tradesman are harder to come by in deprived areas- do they all flock to where the money is in my case posh parts of Leeds or Harrogate (even if they live in said deprived area)? Does that mean then the local customers are then only left with cowboys and amateurs who still demand a proper craftsmens wage because there is no one else offering to do the job hence you've got to pay top dollar for below-par work?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20190829_181104.jpg
    IMG_20190829_181104.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 684
  • IMG_20190825_184524.jpg
    IMG_20190825_184524.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 677
  • IMG_20190715_205158__01.jpg
    IMG_20190715_205158__01.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 643
  • Screenshot_20190731-125234.jpg
    Screenshot_20190731-125234.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 658
The way people quote varies...

My way has always been like this....

How many days will it take... add on a couple extra

How much is materials? add on 50% more(ish) to cover anything

Then I work out how much money I want to make me want to get out of bed.... this varies from plasterer to plasterer some will work for £150 a day and others want £400 a day... lots of variations etc

I then look at the client if they look like they are going to be breathing down my neck and appear to be high maintenance then I add on more money to cover that

Then I add a lump on the end just for fun...

Others will just charge x number of days plus cost of materials and that is that....

Some think materials will cost around £1000 whilst others think they'll be £350.

I've had to approach 20 plasterers to get 4 to even come out and quote, despite all saying they want the work. A few even made a commitment to come and look at the job after giving a ballpark quote that seemed promising then didn't even bother to show.

I agreed on £1400 with one and he strung me along for nearly 3 weeks, and once we were a whole 10 days after he said he'd start, he'd only just ordered the materials.. And then on the day he should have started he didn't even turn up, no phone call, no messages. Gee, thanks mate.

Then another agreed to the job for the same price, waxing lyrical about how satisfied his customers are and how he can't defend any of the others I've dealt with, but he himself was a stand up guy who kept his word. An hour into the job...."Mo, this isn't gonna work, I've just got this funny feeling, and when I get a funny feeling things just don't go right, you need somebody on day rate to do this job, you want the job to too perfect, it's not possible, we discussed splaying the reveals on the veluxes (on the day I changed my mind & asked him to just use the insulated pb to close the gaps around the veluxes)- no one insulates the reveals its not a child spot, I worked for a loft conversion company and they never insulated the reveals!! You want the ceiling corners straight but I'm telling you it looks better rounded blah blah...." I says look if you want to splay them, fine, you wanna round the corners, fine, if it'll take a day longer, fine. I'll pay for the time no problem, I'm a reasonable guy.
But..."no I've already put the plasterboard back in the van mate, Its just not gonna work, when I get the wrong feeling then it won't work, the reveals are not square here / need to splayed there, i should have been done with the reveals for 4 veluxes in the 1st hour and I'm still doing them..."

Then off he put his tools Into the van, leaving me a cut piece of insulated pb as "goodwill" as if that could make up for the 2 weeks of waiting I had done for him.

Madness!

Where am I going wrong? Is there some special technique of dealing with your breed of tradesman that I need to deploy?

Is my budget of £1400 unreasonable for this job? I'm live in Bradford, which is relatively deprived city. Is it the case that quality tradesman are harder to come by in deprived areas- do they all flock to where the money is in my case posh parts of Leeds or Harrogate (even if they live in said deprived area)? Does that mean then the local customers are then only left with cowboys and amateurs who still demand a proper craftsmens wage because there is no one else offering to do the job hence you've got to pay top dollar for below-par work?

Cheers

I wouldn't want to be fixing insulation boards off them ladders at that height especially alone.

£ 2400.00 , Im in Edinburgh though, with a bissines

Madness!

Cheers
It seems cheap to me ! But I live in Edinburgh, have a good business address in one of the well off areas, to me that's worth at least £ 24

Madness!

Cheers
Seems cheap to me! However I live in Edinburgh andhave a good business address in one of the best areas ! Its worth £ 2300.00 to me, all in ! Except VAT. However I can only give a reflection of the cost of living in relitive terms to where I can relate too . Sounds too cheap though, you must have collected a lot of prices, by the sounds of it. You get what you pay for mate, bottom line !

£ 2400.00 , Im in Edinburgh though, with a bissines

It seems cheap to me ! But I live in Edinburgh, have a good business address in one of the well off areas, to me that's worth at least £ 24

Seems cheap to me! However I live in Edinburgh andhave a good business address in one of the best areas ! Its worth £ 2300.00 to me, all in ! Except VAT. However I can only give a reflection of the cost of living in relitive terms to where I can relate too . Sounds too cheap though, you must have collected a lot of prices, by the sounds of it. You get what you pay for mate, bottom line !

You’ve dropped £100 in two misquotes lol

The way people quote varies...

My way has always been like this....

How many days will it take... add on a couple extra

How much is materials? add on 50% more(ish) to cover anything

Then I work out how much money I want to make me want to get out of bed.... this varies from plasterer to plasterer some will work for £150 a day and others want £400 a day... lots of variations etc

I then look at the client if they look like they are going to be breathing down my neck and appear to be high maintenance then I add on more money to cover that

Then I add a lump on the end just for fun...

Others will just charge x number of days plus cost of materials and that is that....
I like this “New” Danny! (y)

Madness!

Cheers

Ok im straight talking so please dont be offended but your going to need to know or you wont progress.

You come across high maintenance & its a difficult job regarding access and details both which should cost you as the customer.

The quoute of 1400 is way way to cheap 1st guy relalised it and fidnt turn up, 2nd guy nailed to the mast to honour price realised it.

2nd guy did thr right thing gor his sanity and walked once he got a feel for you, he was just way way to polite to say your coming across a real pain n in the arse "this isnt going to work"

Dont talk budgets next time and let them tell you there price and if needed save up or you will just go round in circles also the work will be awful!

First it's awkward hight. You should get it scaffolded out to board and scim the ceiling ect. You could get the carpenter to fix the boards. You supply the materials their expensive. This makes the job simpler .or just stop messing about and get a builder to quote to finish the job . Keep us informed.

Danny seems to have got it right.

Without sounding racist are you asian? Asians need cheap and that may explain why you have had no shows, almost always a waste of time looking.

Also if you sound or look hard work then I would avoid the job at any price and the higher quotes you have had might reflect this. I always would quote but way over the top so hopefully I would not get the job. Some customers can be soul destroying, cause depression, life is too short to put up with awkward customers.

I, like everyone on here come across jobs like this. Very simple. I price to allow myself more than enough time to do it properly. No rushing, trying to make it pay. Just as importantly I'm sussing the customer to see whether or not they will allow me the time without constant scrutiny. Any doubt on this....I walk. Give the tradesman room and trust, a happy tradesman will always produce better results than a harassed, depressed, suicidal one. And if anyone starts talking 'tight budgets' I've already metaphorically left the premises.

Yes, the words ‘My Budget’. Its like making a price up and expecting a business to do it at that price or walk. How can a customer come to a budget? They don’t know how much the materials are, the business overheads or the labour costs.

Soon as they talk ‘we are on a tight budget’ its time to walk. Do the job cheap to satisfy the customers lack of money then face the argument when they are not satisfied with a ‘cheap job’ done. They may well have insisted on the job must be done cheap but nowhere in the conversation did they ever mention a cheap quality job.

This a mate of yours. Dont fancy coming to Bradford to quote but can work a price out with pictures measurements but in turkeys at min mate

Nah not this one, that one was Soothill. She still waiting for plumber.
You on retirement now?

Yes, the words ‘My Budget’. Its like making a price up and expecting a business to do it at that price or walk. How can a customer come to a budget? They don’t know how much the materials are, the business overheads or the labour costs.

Soon as they talk ‘we are on a tight budget’ its time to walk. Do the job cheap to satisfy the customers lack of money then face the argument when they are not satisfied with a ‘cheap job’ done. They may well have insisted on the job must be done cheap but nowhere in the conversation did they ever mention a cheap quality job.

I've

Madness!

Cheers

You sound like a stereotypical Pakistani customer.

Plus clue Mo.

Plus clue Bradford.

What's that ladder doing there?

It sounds a lot like you've badgered the guys about your budget and breathed down his neck when he got to the job

And this is the very reason that a great many tradesmen won't work for Pakistani customers.

Just saying like.

And £1400 for that? Are you having a laugh? Consider that you had a lucky escape by not having it done for that.

Ring plasterer.
Show job, show spec.
Shut gob.
Accept quote.

Repeat as often as you like.

Choose plasterer.

Arrange access.

Provide tea.

Keep gob shut.

Approve job.

Pay plasterer. Cash. On the day.

Refrain from telling plasterer how much work is coming up with your brother in law if only he'd knock a few quid off the bill.

Shake hands.

Admire new room.

That's how you do it. Accept no other.

Madness!

Cheers
£350 materials hahaha. That's 10 sheets of half decent insulated board

Madness!

Cheers

on a more serious note i think you looking around the £2 - 2.5k max mark for the job.

37.5 is around 40£ each itself - whoever said 350 in materials is clearly not a plasterer, materials probz gonna cost around 800£

@lurpak would do it for some beer tokens

The working for asians question is interesting. I'm passionately anti-racist, I've learnt a bit of Arabic and find different cultures interesting. I've been to price a lot of jobs over the years for Asians but have worked for very few because my quotes are nearly always too dear. It's a cultural thing, particularly for 1st gen Asian immigrants. Bartering etc. Whilst that can be fun on holiday, it's completely at odds with western culture and will remain so. It's a fascinating subject.

I think your right about different nashanalitys . Went to a chinamans the other day .each job I wrote down he would say and that bit maybe.then I can only work Monday and Tuesdays when he's off. And he was gone help me . I was so confused when i left I didn't send quote.

on a more serious note i think you looking around the £2 - 2.5k max mark for the job.

37.5 is around 40£ each itself - whoever said 350 in materials is clearly not a plasterer, materials probz gonna cost around 800£

@lurpak would do it for some beer tokens
So you'd board and skim that for as low as £1200 labour? Think I'd want that just to board it. I'd quote around 3k mark for that I think, although always hard to quote off a picture. Insulated board is double the hassle and double the time