wickes bonding agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeD

Private Member
Bought some of this today as i've got job tmw skimming over shiny paint...and thought it might be better than PVA.

Stuff is expensive though...saw someone mention on these forums you can make your own by mixing PVA and sand...anyone tryed this? was thinking of testing both on walls tmw.

Ive never tried it, but on shiney paint i score the wall with the stanley knife first give it extra key if its pva , gypbond rolls straight on and has a key (aggregate) in the mix

although wba is good it is to expensive too small a tub and sod waiting two hours for it to go off pva all day long, wba in my opinion is for the novice and diy man

dosnt work mate,  :( putting sand in pva wont make it any better, because pva is reversable when wet, as soon as the plaster touchs the pva the sand will become loose as the pva is tacky again.  Wba is irevesable, so the grit dosnt come loose when wet, acting as a key for the plaster.  just use wickes bonding agent, the customer pay's for it anyway.

i reckon if u do try making home made wba..  use waterproof pva, but its no where near as strong what

ever wba is made of, wba is some serious sh-it

also dosnt look very proffesional painting pva with sand in it, on the customers walls

thats only my opinion though  ;D

Yea i've scored with stanley knife also...but takes time with lots of area and blades! what about one of those wire brushs which attach to the end of a drill?

my m8 and he said what a bout using SBR waterproofer and cement slurry coat first? might work.

cheers for advice about sand and pva won't be doing that!

i use 40 grit sand paper to key shiny surfaces (Gloss paint)

sbr is a great agent for exterior work not sure about interior work though

also cant see it workin out much cheaper. better off using wba

Been using wba for a couple of years now, customers are happy to pay the extra once you tell them the advantages
and its better to set over than pva worth the two hour wait , but in most cases you can pop in on the way home a night or two beforehand takes 15 - 20 mins two wba a wall or two and then when you do the job its quicker than waiting for pva to go tacky.

i tend to use wba on larger areas or very high suction backgrounds and pva on everything else, as for cost, passing £15 on to customer isn't gonna lose you the job.

ive never used this wba stuff but im keen 2 use it on my next artex over skim. is it called wba or does it just stand for wickes bonding agent?

I think its official name is wickes plaster bonding agent look for a white tub with a blue lid 3kg size about £12 make sure you give it a real good stir before you use it as all the aggregate sinks to the bottom of the tub ;)

smells like pva looks like its got fine sand in it!! oh well i gave it a good stir and painted it on from tub straight to glossy paint...loads still settled at bottom had to go round again (next time i'll stir more frequently)...will report back on how skimming goes expexting it to be a breeze no sliding around etc.

in anticipation of your next post...
welcome to the wba fan club ;)
its fantastic stuff over shiny, gloss, silk, artex, bonding, you name it...
and pva is a tenner a tub... ive heard people go on about using it neat over silk paint??? not a lot of difference in price then, its just that wba will do the job...

Been trying to get hold of that for the last two weeks. Usual story though, Soon as it comes in it flies off the shelf, they've never bloody got any! Good stuff though.

This stuff is amazing i won't be scared of any shiny paint jobs from now on....whack it on leave it min 4 hours (best overnight) bish bash bosh job done ;)

errrrmm bit of a warning lads...
i just done a room this weekend.... got a shiny painted artex ceiling so i rolled on a tub of wba... had some multi for the walls on the van...
anyway, went to get some boardy fo the ceiling and thought, bollox to it, might as well wba the walls while im at it and bought another tub...
well.. walls were pretty high suction... no probs i thought for the good old 'super grit'...
anyway, 1 tub wasnt enough for the walls and i heard you can water the stuff down so i did...
went on lovely, left it overnight...
hit the ceiling and 1 wall 1st set, ceiling went georgeous... wall went off like a bleedin rocket...
thinking... hope the other 3 dont do that...
you can guess the rest...
i was nearly dead by the end of the second set... still, it stuck well ;D

if u use boardy with wba does it go off quiker. cheers

ive never used board finish....... i might have a go 2moro for a laugh :eek:

if you got wba on a shiny surface boardy goes loverly on it, wheras multi can go a bit like chewing gum but you gotta keep trowelling it cos it then just goes off all at once...
multi really does need a bit of suction cos you just end up trowelling the whole thickness otherwise...
boardy doesnt need suction, in fact it doesnt like it too much, use boardy on high suction and you better be bloody quick or it tends to tear...
multi's fine over board tho... just try boardy over wba over shiny surface tho... youll be grinning like a cheshire cat...
got my tips for the above on here... cheers church and gary b :)

Status
Not open for further replies.