Working with my 73yr old dad

Members online

clarkie

Went to my parents today today to some patching. My dad is recently diagnosed with alzheimers. He taught me the trade aswell as lots of life skills and lessons along the way. I asked if he was gonna throw a bit on with me. He was desperate to avoid not doing it. Told him I had brought his old trowel and handboard and it's all ready wet up and waiting. Still didn't want to get involved told him stop arsing about and get the f####r on if it's rough I will straighten it up. Eventually he put it on it turned out neat as he would of year's ago and really enjoyed himself he was buzzing. He even gave it a final wipe with my s*p*r*lex he was impressed with that. Probably one of my proudest days plastering today if you can understand where I'm coming from. It was really great to watch him work again and for him to be able to do something that comes 2nd nature without having to worry. Mum was happy her plastering was done,father and son well we were very happy rolling back the years.

Today was a good day.

You'll remember today forever, well done for getting your dad back on the trowel done you both the world of good. Enjoy every day. My mum has had that s**t for 6 years now.

Went to my parents today today to some patching. My dad is recently diagnosed with alzheimers. He taught me the trade aswell as lots of life skills and lessons along the way. I asked if he was gonna throw a bit on with me. He was desperate to avoid not doing it. Told him I had brought his old trowel and handboard and it's all ready wet up and waiting. Still didn't want to get involved told him stop arsing about and get the f####r on if it's rough I will straighten it up. Eventually he put it on it turned out neat as he would of year's ago and really enjoyed himself he was buzzing. He even gave it a final wipe with my s*p*r*lex he was impressed with that. Probably one of my proudest days plastering today if you can understand where I'm coming from. It was really great to watch him work again and for him to be able to do something that comes 2nd nature without having to worry. Mum was happy her plastering was done,father and son well we were very happy rolling back the years.

Today was a good day.
Brilliant to read mate

Wish you all the best

Cheers pal. It's an awful illness. He was a pro rugby league player years back as well. A very proud man. Terrible to see our loved ones like this. He truly was/is my hero
My farther has Dementia and is now in a home . It has been very hard to cope with and watch a loved one go down hill mentally and physically . Hold onto him clarkie for as long as you can and no matter how much he changes he will always be the same person inside. Good luck to you and i hope things go as well as they can. Be strong for him.

Cheers beader. We have a good a family set up. My brother takes him to watch my nephew play rugby and sportsman's dinner etc. My sister does a lot with him to. Try to give my mum a break as much as poss as she's with him 24/7. He loves the old photos and I managed to get a dvd of him playing rugby back in the 70s good times for him.
We know how it's gonna end up but we're trying to make his and my mum's journey as comfortable as poss. Hardest thing is trying to get them to spend their money on themselves the keep saying it's our inheritance and won't spend it cos they want to leave as much as they can to us. Told them the best thing they could leave us is seeing them comfortable and happy in their later years. Stubborn old sods

Today was a good day.

Great reading this mate! Old muscle memory eh?

Sorry to hear about his illness, sometimes we all really take things for granted - I celebrated my Grandfather's 94th birthday at the weekend. I am sure he is fitter and more sane that me! I hope I have his health genes first, then the old age genes from his family

thanks for the nice replies lads. mum phoned me the day after and said my dad had forgot he'd done it thought I had done it all. never mind it was great at the time. think I would do the same as you said clemo haha. He still want have it that i loaned him 5grand and I want it back. He replies with I'm not that f####n bad yet.

thanks for the nice replies lads. mum phoned me the day after and said my dad had forgot he'd done it thought I had done it all. never mind it was great at the time. think I would do the same as you said clemo haha. He still want have it that i loaned him 5grand and I want it back. He replies with I'm not that f####n bad yet.
Pmsl

I'm fortunate that both my parents are still alive. Mom had a mini stroke a few years back, but recovered pretty well. She's a battler and doesn't let much get her down. What's kind of sad though is the sense that she's 'clearing out' and winding up certain hobbies and interests. Things she cared for like her tropical fish tank...now sold, and as an avid dog lover, not wanting any more to do with breeding and showing. 2 dogs left and knowing there'll be no more. Just life... I've been blessed so far.

Agree with zombie get rid the bloke fake or not is a f**k**g fool

And if he is a local doing a fake he should give his head a shake