Advice on plasterboard ceiling layout

Members online

Alpharius15

Hi there,

My partner and I are in the process of plasterboarding all of our ceilings, we have a small room (2770mm by 2430mm) but we are unsure of the best plasterboard configuration. Our plasterboards are 2400mm by 1200mm. The distance between the left wall and the middle of the first joist is 75mm, from the middle of one joist to the next is 460mm, the middle of the last joist to the wall is 360mm.

If we lay our plasterboards side by side, perpendicular to the joists we will have a 30mm gap at the end, is this something we can work with and fill in with expanding foam? Or what is the best way to go about this? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Michael

20231013_164408.jpg
Small_room.png

Rip 300mm off board 1&2 so they are 900mm wide. That way you won’t be fixing a flimsy 30mm rip at the end.

Attachments

• IMG_7568.jpeg
    IMG_7568.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 78
Hi there,

My partner and I are in the process of plasterboarding all of our ceilings, we have a small room (2770mm by 2430mm) but we are unsure of the best plasterboard configuration. Our plasterboards are 2400mm by 1200mm. The distance between the left wall and the middle of the first joist is 75mm, from the middle of one joist to the next is 460mm, the middle of the last joist to the wall is 360mm.

If we lay our plasterboards side by side, perpendicular to the joists we will have a 30mm gap at the end, is this something we can work with and fill in with expanding foam? Or what is the best way to go about this? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Michael

View attachment 75936View attachment 75937
Just cut the boards to suit the joists and stagger the joins.

Foams for bodgers.

Michael, not a tricky job, cut boards to fit halfway on rafters, take into account the size of your off cut for use on the next row, basic economics, you might have to start in the middle of the first line of boards over rafters to make this work, are you an engineer by any chance?

What ever it is,that human pot hole @essexandy
Reversed himself right out of the profits.
He was Mr Excalibur Scrim, the saucey Christmas card with the Scrim covering his dignity would have been an instant hit on TPF.

Exactly. Potential International playboy and no cracks showing.

Time you’ve fuxed about over thinking
It’s Boarded & skimmed in the morning
. THE END .

What ever it is,that human pot hole @essexandy
Reversed himself right out of the profits.
He was Mr Excalibur Scrim, the saucey Christmas card with the Scrim covering his dignity would have been an instant hit on TPF.
Dignity! I'm a plasterer and I'm from Essex, you think I have dignity?

edit: maybe still more dignity than a pair of old bassists.