Advice, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaspode

Hi guys,

Have started ripping out our nasty old bathroom (pink walls/carpet, horrible tiles, avocado suite.... mmmm..)

Much of the walls are half-tiled and I've started removing them - not sure they were put on very well in the first place as I've removed most of them just by pulling them off by hand..

I only want tiles where needed in wet areas so will just re-plaster the other sections (and tile over if I make a pig's ear of it)

Now - with the walls now in the state as shown in the picture.. will I need to start with a bonding coat first? Should I PVA it first (I've seen mention that you shouldn't do this in bathrooms)

Any advice appreciated..

Advice, please!

Hi guys,

Have started ripping out our nasty old bathroom (pink walls/carpet, horrible tiles, avocado suite.... mmmm..)

Much of the walls are half-tiled and I've started removing them - not sure they were put on very well in the first place as I've removed most of them just by pulling them off by hand..

I only want tiles where needed in wet areas so will just re-plaster the other sections (and tile over if I make a pig's ear of it)

Now - with the walls now in the state as shown in the picture.. will I need to start with a bonding coat first? Should I PVA it first (I've seen mention that you shouldn't do this in bathrooms)

Any advice appreciated..
I would remove all the old skim, where you are just going to tile over , I would use a primer suitable for the tile adhesive and tile away, where its going to be painted, I would clean off as above,pva and skim.

Pva shouldn't be too much of a problem really because normally the backing coat will have a mechanical key already scratched into it to help the skim bond to it. So you only really need a weak pva.mix to take some of the suction away and stop the skim from crazy cracking

Advice, please!

STOP!! we are on our way fully trained time served plasterer(5 day intensive course) and tiler (learned watching diy sos ):RpS_thumbup:if we cant fix it no one can!!!

when Asif changes his sig later..... this is going to be one very stange thread...... :RpS_confused:

BTW - where does the beef fit in...?

You should never use bonding in a bathroom or any areas were theres going to be moisture
allways patch areas with sand cement and then scim over .

Status
Not open for further replies.