Advice please

Matt Darey

Hi everyone, Hope life is treating you good. I need some advice on rendering job I had done on my mums Annexe. First up the guys put K-rend direct onto cement boards and then painted with masonry paint but after the summer heat it cracked showing the cement board joining lines.
IMG_2396.jpeg

To try and rectify the problem they put a layer of pre-grit on top followed by mesh and finally coloured K-rend Thin-coat TC15 Topcoat.

This is the final finish:
Annexe Render - Front.jpg

I just wanted to check if this is acceptable practice and also if you think the final finish is also acceptable. Many thanks in advance.

Matt Darey

Jesus mate it’s s**t try and get your money back
Thanks , I’ll try. It’s their 2nd attempt. Not sure what can be done seeing this is now multiple layers . They already had to retro fit a big sized roof trim over the old one as the render was sticking out further than the drip edge. Can’t be more than a few mm to play with now.

Thanks , I’ll try. It’s their 2nd attempt. Not sure what can be done seeing this is now multiple layers . They already had to retro fit a big sized roof trim over the old one as the render was sticking out further than the drip edge. Can’t be more than a few mm to play with now
Looks good if you asked for an Ariel view of the goby desert ?
Yeh I kinda had similar thoughts but the company Boss at Spaces group who did the job said “There is always variation in a render finish. It is never totally smooth by it’s nature and can have some variation”.

Thanks , I’ll try. It’s their 2nd attempt. Not sure what can be done seeing this is now multiple layers . They already had to retro fit a big sized roof trim over the old one as the render was sticking out further than the drip edge. Can’t be more than a few mm to play with now

Yeh I kinda had similar thoughts but the company Boss at Spaces group who did the job said “There is always variation in a render finish. It is never totally smooth by it’s nature and can have some variation .
Total rubbish he's spouting ! If that was on there webpage they would never get any work ! Looks slapped on and rushed to appease hoping that's the end ! Needs re doing from scratch

Wouldn’t say he paid a whole lot .sadly time and time again they say I paid top money or the plasterer was highly recommended but we all know it’s down to price they think no matter what the price they get the same job
To true that mate

Hi everyone, Hope life is treating you good. I need some advice on rendering job I had done on my mums Annexe. First up the guys put K-rend direct onto cement boards and then painted with masonry paint but after the summer heat it cracked showing the cement board joining lines.
View attachment 76153

To try and rectify the problem they put a layer of pre-grit on top followed by mesh and finally coloured K-rend Thin-coat TC15 Topcoat.

This is the final finish:
View attachment 76154

I just wanted to check if this is acceptable practice and also if you think the final finish is also acceptable. Many thanks in advance.

Matt Darey

No plasterer /:; or renderer visited that property ….. @backtothemoon

Yeh I kinda had similar thoughts but the company said
Hi Matt.
Are you playing Luminosity next year?
I didn’t get an invite for this year but been busy with other stuff recently. Probably have a boat party 1st June on the Thames

Hi Matt.
Are you playing Luminosity next year?
I didn’t get an invite for this year but been busy with other stuff recently. Probably have a boat party 1st June on the Thames
No plasterer /:; or renderer visited that property ….. @backtothemoon
do you guys think it can be patched up or best to strip it back to the cement boards and start again?

Total rubbish he's spouting ! If that was on there webpage they would never get any work ! Looks slapped on and rushed to appease hoping that's the end ! Needs re doing from scratch
Thanks Bill, yeh the guys from
The company responsible said “There is always variation in a render finish. It is never totally smooth by it’s nature and can have some variation.”.

Wouldn’t say he paid a whole lot .sadly time and time again they say I paid top money or the plasterer was highly recommended but we all know it’s down to price they think no matter what the price they get the same job
almost £100k for the annexe (all in) which included everything including the rendering

Thanks Bill, yeh the guys from
The company responsible said “There is always variation in a render finish. It is never totally smooth by it’s nature and can have some variation.”.
That isn't "some variation", that is absolutely dog rough and totally unacceptable.
IMHO that wants taking right off, new render carrier board and a thincoat render applying.
If you've paid in full you need to ask for the above or legal action will be taken.

That isn't "some variation", that is absolutely dog rough and totally unacceptable.
IMHO that wants taking right off, new render carrier board and a thincoat render applying.
If you've paid in full you need to ask for the above or legal action will be taken.
Thanks Andy

I missed this years. Had an emergency hernia operation 3 days before I was due to fly out. Was gutted! Been playing this in the van this week.
1699184075853.jpeg

Tell them that you are going to have all of the work inspected by an architect as you have lost confidence in their workmanship.
Thanks Malc, I came here cause I know you guys are obviously proud of your workmanship, just needed to verify these guys are out of order

I paid almost £100k for the annexe, all in price including rendering. So basically paid for a “5 star” service ( quote from their website)
That’s a lot of money just unfortunate there rendering isn’t 5* like other people have said it’s all needs stripping off back to the original substrate and done all over again and properly this time hopefully you can claim some money back off the company as I wouldn’t trust them to do it again it’s all bullshit about that variation he’s just trying to pass it off your best getting your own contractor in but do your research