Bauwer light

vfr12

MOTORC*NT
It’s fairly new on the market and I haven’t come across decent info on how to use it and I think I have spent enough time with it to be able to do a honest review that can help others when using it for first time . First thing I would say it’s very weird product, something i haven’t came across before. Always when using new gear I read the instructions on the bag to start with. It says 9-10L of water to 1 bag of bauwer light. You should remember you need to mix the whole bag . Start mixing it slowly or you will have 100 volcanos erupting in your face, literally. Don’t add any water, the product needs time till is mixed thoroughly.You can’t just add or take a bit . The binding agent sits on the bottom and the ashes are on the top of the bag. You can feel the disbalance once you lift the bag and always open the bag from the top.Once you mix the bag you have to be quick, there is no time to mess around. The gear has internal setting timer and it sets as quick as on the wall. Do not confuse this process with drying that’s a long process especially now. 2 bags at time works best for me when on my own. Mix it in the big gorilla bucket with enough time to finish it on the wall. For internals I found thickness at 25mm To work best . You can put more in stages, but bare in mind the product slumps. When ruling go 2-3 times over it and come back in 5 mins, you’ll see what I mean.If you are not quick enough the product will start tear and you may have some bits even falling off. This is where you have to leave it , you have done your best and any imperfections can be fixed later , when is set completely. Scrapes really good and takes any shape you want. For best results I found 11 L per bag gives you that extra minute to finish it on the wall. Always measure the water when applying by hand , always! So here is how I start.

First thing you check your wall and see what the difference is . Here I have went for 25 mm . Set the laser at 100mm of the wall and marked back 75mm on the ruler to give me the wanted thickness. For brick work allow 15% more gear.

16082CA4-3826-4060-B05A-6DAE85C84D29.jpeg

Marking top, bottom and middle over tape
CD337A8A-D07C-422D-B1B7-E0A5FB476A46.jpeg

CFF1B7AE-DB4B-47EC-B9FC-CC8349276F34.jpeg

Soak the wall and set your beads like the one on the left, the right one won’t hold for long . It will take about 1-2 hours before is ready.Enough time to set the whole room and get ready.
83B2F000-8074-4BE9-8356-E6A9EB60A19D.jpeg

If you try to do it freehand you won’t have that time to level it like any other render. Time is crucial in this case!

You should end up with something like this, or better

A4A10FF9-C5D3-4249-AEAE-8C4B8BF51774.jpeg

4EE9E6B9-DAE8-4B43-B994-97CF4BF46D4C.jpeg

Next step is Bauwer finish which is more or less like thin coat with mesh . Will add more info in the next few days. Hope that helps anyone who is willing to give it a go. It’s a very weird product, but with great benefits.

On this particular job 6-7m2. I do 2 bags, rule off, mix another 2bags, finish the section between the beads and rule off. It all depends how many m2 you have between the beads. You need to make your own system. I use my 3m strait edge at 2.5 height.

Wait till I get my shaft and I’ll smash it for you mate! 60 bags in two days on my own....and I don’t want to feel it either :D
Job need like 15m² doing at a push lol
Tried to talk him out of it, ain't worth the hassle I don't think. Bauwer light, then bauwer finish then skim ffs, hassle in my eyes

That’s correct, reusable ;)

I'll get them for u a lot cheaper. Can't remember how mush I pay for them. But not that much. I'll ring in the morning find out. They are brilliant for the bauwer light. I find with the bauwer u need to soak the walls a good few times b4 u put it on.

I'll get them for u a lot cheaper. Can't remember how mush I pay for them. But not that much. I'll ring in the morning find out. They are brilliant for the bauwer light. I find with the bauwer u need to soak the walls a good few times b4 u put it on.

I did it like every normal render - soaking till damp , but not wet, if that makes sense

I did it like every normal render - soaking till damp , but not wet, if that makes sense
Yes it does. I got my mate who's house it was to soak it at 7am. B4 he went to work. Then I'd soak it at 8am when I'd get there. Then set up. Cup of tea lol. Wet at 9am then start. Makes a big difference. And stops the bauwer light from cracks and it takes to the wall a lot better. (y)

Yes it does. I got my mate who's house it was to soak it at 7am. B4 he went to work. Then I'd soak it at 8am when I'd get there. Then set up. Cup of tea lol. Wet at 9am then start. Makes a big difference. And stops the bauwer light from cracks and it takes to the wall a lot better. (y)
Never seen a crack so I must have done it right :D. I have done pretty much the same on this job . Don’t know what they have used back in 1920,but the bricks are soooo thirsty.:rolleyes:

It’s fairly new on the market and I haven’t come across decent info on how to use it and I think I have spent enough time with it to be able to do a honest review that can help others when using it for first time . First thing I would say it’s very weird product, something i haven’t came across before. Always when using new gear I read the instructions on the bag to start with. It says 9-10L of water to 1 bag of bauwer light. You should remember you need to mix the whole bag . Start mixing it slowly or you will have 100 volcanos erupting in your face, literally. Don’t add any water, the product needs time till is mixed thoroughly.You can’t just add or take a bit . The binding agent sits on the bottom and the ashes are on the top of the bag. You can feel the disbalance once you lift the bag and always open the bag from the top.Once you mix the bag you have to be quick, there is no time to mess around. The gear has internal setting timer and it sets as quick as on the wall. Do not confuse this process with drying that’s a long process especially now. 2 bags at time works best for me when on my own. Mix it in the big gorilla bucket with enough time to finish it on the wall. For internals I found thickness at 25mm To work best . You can put more in stages, but bare in mind the product slumps. When ruling go 2-3 times over it and come back in 5 mins, you’ll see what I mean.If you are not quick enough the product will start tear and you may have some bits even falling off. This is where you have to leave it , you have done your best and any imperfections can be fixed later , when is set completely. Scrapes really good and takes any shape you want. For best results I found 11 L per bag gives you that extra minute to finish it on the wall. Always measure the water when applying by hand , always! So here is how I start.

First thing you check your wall and see what the difference is . Here I have went for 25 mm . Set the laser at 100mm of the wall and marked back 75mm on the ruler to give me the wanted thickness. For brick work allow 15% more gear.

View attachment 21665
Marking top, bottom and middle over tape
View attachment 21666

View attachment 21667
Soak the wall and set your beads like the one on the left, the right one won’t hold for long . It will take about 1-2 hours before is ready.Enough time to set the whole room and get ready.
View attachment 21668
If you try to do it freehand you won’t have that time to level it like any other render. Time is crucial in this case!

You should end up with something like this, or better

View attachment 21669

View attachment 21670
Next step is Bauwer finish which is more or less like thin coat with mesh . Will add more info in the next few days. Hope that helps anyone who is willing to give it a go. It’s a very weird product, but with great benefits.
Decent review that mate and nice to see a regular on here saying how it is, I might of missed it but do you still devil float it up?

Wait till I get my shaft and I’ll smash it for you mate! 60 bags in two days on my own....and I don’t want to feel it either :D
Pffft after I’ve been told to stop saying I’m slow I do four hits a day 23.5 bags a hit just like the old days

Decent review that mate and nice to see a regular on here saying how it is, I might of missed it but do you still devil float it up?
No mate, no devil float involved, but you can scrape it later when is firm enough. The product on its own is very soft to receive finishing coat straight on, hence you have to finish it with bauwer finish and then is ready for the finishing coat.

No mate, no devil float involved, but you can scrape it later when is firm enough. The product on its own is very soft to receive finishing coat straight on, hence you have to finish it with bauwer finish and then is ready for the finishing coat.
I was under the impression that you have to leave it a couple of days to put the finish on with the mesh,I might just reading it wrong, still half asleep

Pffft after I’ve been told to stop saying I’m slow I do four hits a day 23.5 bags a hit just like the old days
You won’t be slow with the vfr 12 monster 600mm trowel mate, you’ll be flying :D. The hardest fit is mixing it. The product is so light you can load your trowel as much as it can take :musculoso:

3FF7283E-8018-4277-AC99-FBA724AE242B.jpeg

I was under the impression that you have to leave it a couple of days to put the finish on with the mesh,I might just reading it wrong, still half asleep
You can do it next day, but you have to take into consideration the drying time. I found is better to leave dry a bit and then go over it with bauwer finish. Shortens the drying process and your finishing coat won’t be patchy afterwards.

@Arti I think you are better off shoving the gear on the wall than in the machine. It’s very light even mixed and I don’t think it will work.
@theclemo this is how you do 100mm with one slap :D

CAE1C01A-3FF4-483B-9678-1EA76812755E.jpeg