Can you plaster a painted ceiling that has not been plastered before

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webskater

My house was built in 1988. It has taped and jointed plasterboard ceilings which are painted with emulsion direct onto the plasterboard. There is no skim coat. The kitchen ceiling in particular is pretty ropy, with all the joints visible and lots of nails that have popped etc.

Is it possible to have the ceiling skimmed?

What would you suggest at the joints with the walls? If you just skim the ceiling I imagine there will be a crack around the perimeter fairly soon afterwards.Could one scrim between the ceiling and the walls and feather a skim coat out?

I've posted this in the diy section but I will be asking a plasterer to do the work. Just want to know if it is sensible before I start looking for a plasterer.

Ahh, don't seem to be able to edit my post. One other thing - I seem to remember in the old days plaster board was grey on one side and ivory on the other - for direct decoration. So the boards in my house are almost certainly ivory face down and painted directly.

It is fine to skim over the paint as long as it is sound: when you apply the PVA to the ceiling, check to see if there is some kind of reaction.

I would suggest you knock in the protruding nails and add additional drywall screws to secure the ceiling. Apply scrim over the joints and where it meets the walls, overlap the scrim with the ceiling and wall. When the ceiling has been plastered, simply run a sharp knife down the edge of the wall to remove the excess scrim.

The boards have been laid correctly, the grey face should be on the underside.

Good luck :)

Hi and thanks for your answer. When you say 'the boards have been laid correctly, the grey face should be on the underside' ... I have the floorboards up upstairs - the grey side of the plasterboard is against the joists - the ivory side (I would say) is on the underside i.e. the ivory side has been painted on. Still okay to skim over this? Should I apply pva to the ceiling first and allow it to dry before the plasterer does the skim coat?

The boards have been laid correctly. Don't bother to apply PVA: leave the plasterer to do that, otherwise, if the plaster shells off, he could blame you for not applying the PVA correctly :)

It'll be fine. leave it to your plasterer he'll know best, he may want to use wba or similar rather than pva.

Overboard and skim, staggering the existing joints, a lot quicker and more fire protection/sound and a better job.

Bang all the nails in and re screw it if it is sound enough, just get a plasterer in then , its bread and butter stuff...

There's no need though flynny

Its what i would do, its a kitchen ceiling so lets say its full of grease, nails are popping, the joints are showing through. You will need to wash it down, PVA twice, bang all the popped nails in or remove the ones that have missed. Some have suggested re-screw the ceiling then skim. The problems you could have after all that is the skim could fail, the tapes might start to come loose especially paper tapes with nothing below it with the added weight, nails could still pop and it could still crack along the joints where the boards are just catching. All that prep skimming a ceiling, it is in my opinion quicker and better to over board and i would offer a guarantee :)

I agree with fly man. Overboard. If there's walking above that won't help cracks ect. If you overboard it's a new ceiling and you can give garantee. I'd never PVA a ceiling if there was activity above.

I agree with fly man. Overboard. If there's walking above that won't help cracks ect. If you overboard it's a new ceiling and you can give garantee. I'd never PVA a ceiling if there was activity above.
never pva a ground floor ceiling, you are cautious . i have done thousands..

Status
Not open for further replies.