clay drainage

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jurek

Private Member
ive dug some trenches for foundations but have got loads of clay drainage pipe all over the place. i was thinking i could just put some spanlites, maybe dig into the clay either side and have them rest on some concrete commons. but then i googled it and now im not sure whether i have to shutter the whole pipe as well. its trenchfill. got the BI coming on monday so would rather do it sunday if i have to. any advice would be appreciated.

Land drains or foul/surface water?

If it's the latter, shutter the pipe and use concrete lintels to build the blockwork up from. Or, dig down so that the top of the concrete is below the pipe invert, then use the litnels. Either is acceptable for BC, it just depends on the depth of the pipe and concrete.

You'll need to back fill round any of the pipe you expose with pea gravel, and make sure where it passes through the concrete or wall has mesh to stop vermin (I know, but them's the rules!).

ive dug some trenches for foundations but have got loads of clay drainage pipe all over the place. i was thinking i could just put some spanlites, maybe dig into the clay either side and have them rest on some concrete commons. but then i googled it and now im not sure whether i have to shutter the whole pipe as well. its trenchfill. got the BI coming on monday so would rather do it sunday if i have to. any advice would be appreciated.

Just done an extension and there was clay pipe running through the footing and had to replace

Get building control out to have a look before you do anything and try and identify what is what soil,rainwater or land drains you may have to use some of them for the new build so now is the time for any alterations all drain pipes have to be lintoled over.

If you have to build over drainage and its clay you have to change it no matter what it's used for

That's what the inspector told me on the job I've just finished up on

Thanks for the info. I was looking at it this afternoon. Had gone and got some pipe connectors etc this morning after the job and was looking at it all and thinking ffs. But sometimes you just don't see the wood for the trees. Just had it in my mind that it was going to be filled to a metre. But then it was like a Eureka moment. I can just fill to 550 which is just below the lowest pipe and then just do two course of blockwork from there upward, using lintels to bridge the pipes etc. Just was fixed on the whole metre getting filled when it didnt need to be. Not sure if thats what you meant Imago ...? Been reading about mindfulness lately and i think its worked in this situation. You just have to be there, in the moment, instead of in your head. Just looked at it afresh like i'd never seen it before. Made up. Saved me loads of extra work messing about. Had this a few weeks back on a job when I was a bit stressed out. Went home, went back the next day, went about differently and it went like a dream. Sometimes you have to step back and kind of look down at yourself with a birds eye view.

Yeah, that's it. Bring the blockwork up either side of it, bridge it with a couple of concrete lintels and all's well. (y)

Thanks for the info. I was looking at it this afternoon. Had gone and got some pipe connectors etc this morning after the job and was looking at it all and thinking ffs. But sometimes you just don't see the wood for the trees. Just had it in my mind that it was going to be filled to a metre. But then it was like a Eureka moment. I can just fill to 550 which is just below the lowest pipe and then just do two course of blockwork from there upward, using lintels to bridge the pipes etc. Just was fixed on the whole metre getting filled when it didnt need to be. Not sure if thats what you meant Imago ...? Been reading about mindfulness lately and i think its worked in this situation. You just have to be there, in the moment, instead of in your head. Just looked at it afresh like i'd never seen it before. Made up. Saved me loads of extra work messing about. Had this a few weeks back on a job when I was a bit stressed out. Went home, went back the next day, went about differently and it went like a dream. Sometimes you have to step back and kind of look down at yourself with a birds eye view.

I agree mate
I you get a good architect he will be able to tell you where the pipes are what pipes they are and if they do need changing or not when building over

You are still learning every day. I Matter how long you've been in the trade for

All the best mate hope everything goes to plan [emoji108]

Because it is you dont have to change clay for plastic the inspector is an idiot.Jurek no need to half fill the trench mass fill it to 6inches below ground level but shutter around the pipes then lintol straight on top of the concrete just make sure you have enough room for your subgrade, insulation,concrete and screed usually 5 course of brick.

Will go the part fill I think. What's the going rate for block work? More or less?

Attachments

• 1436695583787.jpg
    1436695583787.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 461
Anyway gonna just finish that bit off then go for a couple of pints and watch the tennis. Living the dream

Will go the part fill I think. What's the going rate for block work? More or less?

Is that all going to/from your house? If there's more than your house feeding into that then it'll get expensive as it'll be an adopted sewer/drain. If it's all from your place then you're fine as already mentioned in the posts above.

Yeah it was raining the other day. And all day tomorrow ffs. Will just pump it out. It's all my pipework imago

Yeah it was raining the other day. And all day tomorrow ffs. Will just pump it out. It's all my pipework imago

Good, it's a nightmare if you have to involve the water companies!

Don't pump it out, dig a 300mm 'sump' full width of the trench at each outer corner. Then you can bucket the worst out nice and easy, and the rest will drain away (unless it's heavy clay?). When you pour the concrete the two sumps just fill up with the rest. (y)

he is good builder. should have his own show. fcuk tommy walsh

yeah its heavy clay alright. just finished it now. been on my hands and knees under them pipes for the past three hour chipping away. like danny in great escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.