Damp spreading

Ok flynnman a bit longer than two weeks if you look not dedicated a lot of time tho, am not here to cause friction either just to help out were I can and have the crack as it comes maybe learn a few things I don't know, everyday is a school day I don't know it all after 20 years and the game is evolving every day but on this subject there is not much you can teach me ...... no such thing as rising damp:LOL: xxxx
Prove it :)

Hey flynny ,can I give you a sernario, there is a wall in the middle of a house not an external wall but meets a external wall at one end,the house has a vented wooden floor t&g 22 mil thick and a void under the floor.
The walls showing signs of being wet upto 500 mil of the ground,you strip the wall bk to brick ,take skirts off and take up the damaged floor board under the skirt were it has rotted , when you lift that up you reveal damp conditions on the floor and were the wall has been built out of the ground that is also wet and climbing up the wall.....what would you call it?

This type of damp is called French drainage syndrome!

Ps. I'll save flynny from embarrassment :D

@bopper have you never thought it even slightly odd that when you hack off these walls the bricks are always bone dry ?

Last edited:
Hey flynny ,can I give you a sernario, there is a wall in the middle of a house not an external wall but meets a external wall at one end,the house has a vented wooden floor t&g 22 mil thick and a void under the floor.
The walls showing signs of being wet upto 500 mil of the ground,you strip the wall bk to brick ,take skirts off and take up the damaged floor board under the skirt were it has rotted , when you lift that up you reveal damp conditions on the floor and were the wall has been built out of the ground that is also wet and climbing up the wall.....what would you call it?
Scenarios are not real without pics :)

Listen lads I appreciate you have a view on this but if it didint exsist Dom little would be all over Peter cox like a rash.

Unless penetrating or external ground level higher, then I'd respectfully say too you the bricks are always bone dry
And I would say to you,I live on the banks of the river Mersey and we suffer with the water table here and the sernario I put a cross is very real and yes the bricks are piss wet.

At the end of the day every situation is different no matter what you guys say,I know my stuff I don't have to get into slanging match with you guys over what you believe ,you carry on doing what you think is best.
Where you from bopper?
am from Liverpool jurek mate we're you at?

At the end of the day every situation is different no matter what you guys say,I know my stuff I don't have to get into slanging match with you guys over what you believe ,you carry on doing what you think is best.

im over the water in frankby.

I'm south, in a place you probably have never heard of , letchworth.
Which naturally makes me a utd fan lol, I did live in Warrington though for a good amount of time

Ar local then ,don't surpose you suffer the dry brick syndrome over there not to close to the water,I live in grassendale park,across from I think it's stanlow.

I'm south, in a place you probably have never heard of , letchworth.
Which naturally makes me a utd fan lol, I did live in Warrington though for a good amount of time
Never heard of it ,yes naturally a Utd fan ,I could smell it .i do a lot of fishing around Warrington apart of Warrington aa.

Never heard of it ,yes naturally a Utd fan ,I could smell it .i do a lot of fishing around Warrington apart of Warrington aa.

I was in Woolston, really liked it there. Frequent visitor of the world famous Mr Smiths lol

It's not a slanging match its a debate and we like to discuss things, damp and rising damp are hot topics on here. Ok let's go with your scenario why do you think after being stood in the same place for a hundred years would a property suddenly suffer rising damp? The reason a lot of these companies get away with it is because they usually fix the damp but wether the diagnosis was the real problem is up for debate. Lets take this wall for example on this thread, we are trying to diagnose the problem and come up with a solution and what usually happens as the thread carries on we learn more about the job. It was pretty much the same problem that's always posted and that's using the wrong plaster, then we find out it's a stone wall so maybe the original problem was the sand and cement? The damp has come back pretty quick and seems to be spreading so it tells us the wall is cold and not damp apart from the moisture that's in it because of the wrong plaster. Now we could be looking at maybe insulating and boarding so that's how the forum works and we all learn. :)

Nice houses in Grassendale. I was working there a few months back down by the esplanade in south road. Big old victorian houses. Lived in New Bradford years. Right on the promenade by Vale Park and had damp.

I think you're probably facing Rock Park in Rock Ferry. Lovely old villas from the 1800s. I was working there about a year or so ago and found like a time capsule in the ceiling. It had a penny dreadful magazine dated the 1850s and a tobacco tin. Lovely old house but the amount of work it needed was mind numbing. Some Cypriot restaurant guy owned it. He popped out to the cash till for my money and left me hanging for about an hour. Never went back. Sure it should have been grade ll but he didn't care. Like the ceiling I pulled. Anyway, I'm digressing. Strange how you get little enclaves of old houses like that surrounded by poverty and deprivation.

It's not a slanging match its a debate and we like to discuss things, damp and rising damp are hot topics on here. Ok let's go with your scenario why do you think after being stood in the same place for a hundred years would a property suddenly suffer rising damp? The reason a lot of these companies get away with it is because they usually fix the damp but wether the diagnosis was the real problem is up for debate. Lets take this wall for example on this thread, we are trying to diagnose the problem and come up with a solution and what usually happens as the thread carries on we learn more about the job. It was pretty much the same problem that's always posted and that's using the wrong plaster, then we find out it's a stone wall so maybe the original problem was the sand and cement? The damp has come back pretty quick and seems to be spreading so it tells us the wall is cold and not damp apart from the moisture that's in it because of the wrong plaster. Now we could be looking at maybe insulating and boarding so that's how the forum works and we all learn. :)
Flynn weather or not if it's coming up the wall regardless it's rising ,taking into account everything else is ok ground lvls etc ,I tell ye what on Tuesday I have an appointment to see a damp project I don't know to what extent but I'll post and discuss,how dos that sit with you?the original post on here tells us that the existing s&c has a problem as the plaster kept blowing ,it would be good to see some out side pics I'll agree it could be as little as some pointing missing at low lvl then adding the bonding it's just spread.
I just suggested for the gentleman to cover all bases that would sort it,saying that if I were there I could do a more thorough inspection and come up with a proper solution .:birra:

I think you're probably facing Rock Park in Rock Ferry. Lovely old villas from the 1800s. I was working there about a year or so ago and found like a time capsule in the ceiling. It had a penny dreadful magazine dated the 1850s and a tobacco tin. Lovely old house but the amount of work it needed was mind numbing. Some Cypriot restaurant guy owned it. He popped out to the cash till for my money and left me hanging for about an hour. Never went back. Sure it should have been grade ll but he didn't care. Like the ceiling I pulled. Anyway, I'm digressing. Strange how you get little enclaves of old houses like that surrounded by poverty and deprivation.
Yes indeed lovely houses surrounded by crap and yes it could be rock park ,there is a house up the road from me by the cricket club ,my old head teacher bought,when doing the place up they found j the ripper dairys in a wall bricked up ,it was on television as documentary,nearly fell off my seat when it came on,I was living in Ireland at the time.

Flynn weather or not if it's coming up the wall regardless it's rising ,taking into account everything else is ok ground lvls etc ,I tell ye what on Tuesday I have an appointment to see a damp project I don't know to what extent but I'll post and discuss,how dos that sit with you?the original post on here tells us that the existing s&c has a problem as the plaster kept blowing ,it would be good to see some out side pics I'll agree it could be as little as some pointing missing at low lvl then adding the bonding it's just spread.
I just suggested for the gentleman to cover all bases that would sort it,saying that if I were there I could do a more thorough inspection and come up with a proper solution .:birra:
Nice one :) but why would it suddenly happen after 100 years?

Nice one :) but why would it suddenly happen after 100 years?
It may have some sort of dpc,bitumen or slate is sometimes used may of failed ,it might have had all the above injection etc before and dpc is bridged behind skirts adding the bonding is just adding to the problem the list could be loads,dos this place have a cellar given the age?