dot and dab steel lintel underside?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

messy

Will bonding adhere 12.5 mm plasterboard to the underside of a Catnic steel lintel without support or does it need propping up with horizontal and vertical pieces of wood until it sets?

We just done 2 steels but had to double board we grip filled first sheet on and just held that up with duck tape then leave that to set then in 1200 long plasterboard strips stuck on with driwall adhesive coating both steel and board never needed supporting

It's best to support the board to prevent any movement because it will have a tendency to sag a few mm :)

Do you mean apply bonding with a tile trowel so the bonding is in shallow furrows covering the length of the lintel underside rather than thick dobs? - will it still require support ?

Yes it will no probs you don't need to support it unless its very thick then you'd just double dab it

If I saw someone sticking boards onto metal lintels with bonding or hardwall on my job they wouldn't be working long.

Id learn how to do it yourself before you bark orders at others who said anything about dabbing boards with hardwall?

Don't be a dick, who's barking orders? You think I haven't seen boards stuck with bonding or know how to do it?

Just because it's possible it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Just coz you've fcked up your thin coat job, dont come on here giving it the biggen. :RpS_lol:

Sorry Danny I don't mean to take the piss mate im actually really interested any chance you could explain how bonding won't stick boards and why you can't float and set (if you can) cough skimmer....over a catnic lintel cheers mate

Does he not mean drywall adhesive when he says bonding?
PLAL0290.jpg

I think it's you that should stick to skimming. :RpS_lol:

I didn't say that you can't hardwall/bond and skim onto them.

I've seen bonding fail when used for sticking boards onto heads many times. Carry on doing it, it makes no difference to me.

I've seen drywall adhesive fail too so to sum it up you're saying you can use hardwall over a head but not bonding to stick a board?

I wouldn't use bonding or hardwall to stick boards at all, don't know how much clearer I can be for you. :RpS_confused:

Dry wall adhesive - bonding compound
bonding - bonding coat

bond compound I would stick and dab boards on to metal.
bond coat I would not!

say on back of bags.

I've dot n dab / support on metal lintels before & it has failed, I now screw&gripfill a bit of ply to the lintel & screw plasterboard into that. Cannot say that's the way it should be done but can say for for sure that it will work. I will go out of my way to avoid having to do anything twice over, lol

On a bag of bonding (coat)?
No on bonding compound. Not coat. F**k me this is getting confusing!

did a Job last year and sent new lab to mercents for 15 bags of dab in all the confusion about bonding compound/coat (don't call it dri wall adhesive anymore) he came back with bond coat! No good for dabbing 40 sheets of PB!

Really??!! thought that was a big no no! Learn summit new every day, have to remember that for those sticky situations!

I've dot n dab / support on metal lintels before & it has failed, I now screw&gripfill a bit of ply to the lintel & screw plasterboard into that. Cannot say that's the way it should be done but can say for for sure that it will work. I will go out of my way to avoid having to do anything twice over, lol
:RpS_thumbdn:

Try giving the lintel a tight coat an hour before you dab them
:RpS_thumbup:

If it fails it's usually because there isn't enough bonding/drywall adhesive being used so it isn't being squeezed through the holes sufficiently. Remember there is a good chance that there is a layer of dust hidden on the top of that surface you're dabbing onto so use plenty of gear and support the board adequately overnight
:RpS_thumbup:

best thing i have used it that sound coat plus that stuff sticks the the preverbial sh1t to a blanket had no prblems with the way i do it.................. yet

Why not just call it Carlite Bonding then anyone with experience will know what you mean?
I also never dabbed with Carlite bonding because the dabs would show through the board when dry, dark shadows.

Hi
I think I have caused confusion by referring to drywall adhesive as simply "bonding" what I am actually using is Lafarge Gtec universal bonding compound for direct bonding of plaster board (including metal furrings) to walls.
What I need to know is what the professional approach for attaching plasterboard to Catnic metal lintel is.

Just apply some dabs to to board then then push onto the lintel making sure the adhesive is worked into the holes in the lintel to ensure it gets a good grip.

Hi
I think I have caused confusion by referring to drywall adhesive as simply "bonding" what I am actually using is Lafarge Gtec universal bonding compound for direct bonding of plaster board (including metal furrings) to walls.
What I need to know is what the professional approach for attaching plasterboard to Catnic metal lintel is.

Smear the lintel with adhesive pushing it into the holes, then dot more onto this. One every 8 inches or so. The tighter you can put the board on the better...less weight of adhesive.

Status
Not open for further replies.