Eaves wall - Insulation

Members online

Squawk

I found this after removing the 9mm plasterboard wall in the bedroom at the top of the house

Eaves wall - Insulation

Basically, sod all insulation. You can't quite make it out in the photo, but there is a small hole open the outside in the far corner (half way up image, one quarter from the left).

What I don't know is how best to insulate this bedroom. I'm going to put insulation in between the joists for the bedroom below (and maybe board over the joists), but I have no idea how best to insulate this room. Should I be trying to insulate close to the roof (ie, attaching insulation to the beams supporting the roof, or should I just be trying to insulate the room itself? I presume I'd have to fill in the hole to the outside world if I were to insulate the roof rather than the room.

Any help muchly appreciated.

Cheers

your floor joists (bedroom ceilings) 100mm rockwall between joists and a further 100mm overlap over joists if being left.

if your flooring it and plasterboarding roof rafters.

100mm rockwall in floor

roof rafters 100mm celotex between rafters leaving 50mm air gap.betweem insulation and.roof felt.
foil back board or 30mm insulation board over rafters to finish

Thanks Dan.

Assuming I take this approach then do I understand right I don't need to bother insulating the room wall itself, as the insulation on the rafters will be everything I need? If that's the case I'll just whack up plasterboard and give it a skim.

Cheers

Ok top priority just switched from insulation to patching that hole: I just found a squirrel in the room...

Ok top priority just switched from insulation to patching that hole: I just found a squirrel in the room...
yeah i wouldnt touch his nuts.lol
if your mid terrace yeah you can dot dab walls. if its an outside wall you can dryline insulated plasterboard or stud it and celotex in same princible

Another question...

Is there a good reason why the existing plasterboard was not fixed directly to the frame of the roof (the vertical wood bits that I don't know the name of), but was instead raised from them by the small strips of plasterboard that you can see in the picture. I can understand it if its for cosmetic reasons, but for all I know there is a mechanical reason to do that. Cheers

If the vertical stud work supporting a purlin leave alone there should be a runner along ceiling joists where stud work nailed to they could be supporting roof spars the studwork has had latt and render on so could of been used somewhere else,good luck and fook the squirrel!!!!