Extent of new lime plaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Haddock

Hi, a quick question (although maybe not a quick answer.....).

I have just bought a property with damp issues. The building society want it injected and a guarantee etc. etc. but I think I can put them off that idea. Everyone tells me that because the building is 18th cotswold stone then it should be allowed to breathe and therefore plaster with lime. Makes sense to me.

So the question is to what extent does the existing gypsum plaster need replacing? It is crumbling in a few spots. Do I just need to replace the damaged areas or do the whole walls need replacing with a lime plaster?

Some of the causes of the damp also clearly need sorting (drain pipe currently emptying onto bottom of a wall, disused chimney not properly capped or ventilated etc. etc.) so I do know that it isn't just a case of re-plastering.

Any help appreciated.

if the problem is to do with the drain or something like that i dont see why you would need to use lime plaster if it isnt already, but if you was to do it i wouldnt just to patches best off doing the full wall

you may get a guarentee after injection but it's a waste of time with stone...

although the bs may insist

replacing the existing plaster with lime based will help (paint with breathable paint ---st astier or earthbourne)

Take the lot off and do it in lime it may be expensive but in the long run it will pay dividends
Start in the worse room, and do it room by room if it takes 5 years it will transform the property

If you have it injected and sealed with a waterproof render then you will be doing it again in a few years time with lime.

Thanks guys. A full room by room approach with lime it is then. Also the breathable paint. Looking on the bright side at least I won't have the strip off the layers of wall paper!

Status
Not open for further replies.