Finish coat falling off

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mucky

Hi , everyone ! I am helping a mate to refurb a house built in the 1990s and as we have been steaming off the wallpaper we have had patches of the skim plaster fall off in places that reveal the underlying render it was spread on. I was wondering what has caused this to happen as I have done similar work in other propertys without any problems. Oh! And should I pva etc as usual or do something different?

Possibly dust on wall before skim applied, possibly no scratch to hold it, possibly dried too fast,
get rid of loose plaster, pva and bond in the patches, give it all a weak pva then a second when first dries, ready for skimming then,

Hi , everyone ! I am helping a mate to refurb a house built in the 1990s and as we have been steaming off the wallpaper we have had patches of the skim plaster fall off in places that reveal the underlying render it was spread on. I was wondering what has caused this to happen as I have done similar work in other propertys without any problems. Oh! And should I pva etc as usual or do something different?
I love them steamers , take everything off, and the set , yes mate pva it then away you go, IMO

Steamers can be lethal in some cases.once it starts going you have gotta stop steaming because it will just keep coming off.best method anyway for stripping is to keep soaking the whole room time and time again once the top layer of paper has been pulled off.soak it enough and it will scrape off like kn0b cheese off a tramp.

Aye its the steamer that makes it blow off even if everything was done correct on the plastering holding it in one place for to long

Steamers can be lethal in some cases.once it starts going you have gotta stop steaming because it will just keep coming off.best method anyway for stripping is to keep soaking the whole room time and time again once the top layer of paper has been pulled off.soak it enough and it will scrape off like kn0b cheese off a tramp.

If there is a prize for grossest analogy, you've won it!

The paper on this property was a bloody nightmare it was vinyl and in some places the top layer just wouldn't budge and elbow grease and patience ran out in equal measure!

The paper on this property was a bloody nightmare it was vinyl and in some places the top layer just wouldn't budge and elbow grease and patience ran out in equal measure!

Evil stuff wallpaper.

As another poster said, hardwall the render patches when you've removed the loose plaster as skim will go off like lightening on render otherwise.

Thanks for that , my cheese on toast has just gone in the bin

Stick a bottle of vinegar in a bucket of warm water and sponge it over your walls (lightly score the paper surface with a knife or hedgehog so the water will get behind the paper, the vinegar helps break down the adhesive , the will help the paper come away easier than a scab on a lepers ball bag :RpS_thumbsup:

Just to clarify, don't use an actual hedgehog. It's a small tool that fits in the palm of your hand used for scoring paper....didn't want the rspca on my case :RpS_bored:

Just use a steamer to get the paper of, then get a good spread to treat your walls to a nice coat of skim.There look all the better for it.

Try the bushes at the bushes at the bottom of the garden, sometimes can be found in piles of leaves during autumn. If your adamant on making one you will need a girl hedgehog and a boy hedgehog and wait for the magic to happen :RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.