Fortress in Kent requires Monocouche advice

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martello23

Guys - bit mixed up with the different types of Monocouche available. I live in a circular fortress on the beach in south east Kent. It requires approx 400m sq of rendering. Scaffolding supplied. Parex Monocouche seems best from all your comments. Any advice welcome and if there's anyone out there who fancies the job please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Photo0054.jpg
    Photo0054.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 366
  • 2172833_faa4a7fb.jpg
    2172833_faa4a7fb.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 346
we would recomend a silicone 1.5mm topcoat for a coastal project as it has better weathering properties, whats the substrate ?? concrete/ stone ?

Yep thick basecoat with 1.5mm silicone finish, or mono with lotus paint. The texture of mono prob isn't the right look for such a building though. Parex 1mm dpr(acrylic bucket finish) is hard to beat in marble white too.

I would agree with the above and possibly an high polymer base rend fully meshed and pinned just to make sure, and maybe even pre treat with an anti-sulphate/antifungal kill any nasties and neutralize any salts that may have permeated the substrate, will be a nice little job for some one that, and look amazing when done

I am in Dymchurch - postcode TN29 0TJ.

One more question to you all - in your opinions should I go with Parex Monocouche direct using their guys or recommended guys or just buy the materials and employ someone local and good???

Just a quickie, What do English Heritage have to say on the matter ?, is it listed ? are there any local authority issues ?

i wouldnt touch it with and cement based render he said the walls were 14ft thick so they will be solid construction and no cavity, i would reccomend a NHL 5 lime render for this 3 coat work and nothing else... as thats what it would have been built with... also if the building is listed they wont allow anything else.... contact me if you want a quote to do it properly with correct materials

Hi just had a good look at the job... its definatley been rendered in lime so i would suggest you have it re done in lime using a white coloured sand to get the finish you require
fortress.jpg

Beautiful fortress buildings predominently around the south east coat line. This construction would have been lime based, and as Steve says only a lime based mortar should be considered to compliment both its structural movement and required aesthetics. I would be very surprised to hear that this building is not listed.

i wouldnt touch it with and cement based render he said the walls were 14ft thick so they will be solid construction and no cavity, i would reccomend a NHL 5 lime render for this 3 coat work and nothing else... as thats what it would have been built with... also if the building is listed they wont allow anything else.... contact me if you want a quote to do it properly with correct materials
spot on advise render systems:RpS_thumbup:

lime i would say but you need to find a contractor up to scratch on this job circular work can look a right pigs ear if not done properly be prepared tp pay well over normal rates for this, scaffolding should be interesting.

Looking at the pics he posted i thought it was concrete when i commented and assumed the guy that posted had done some research to start specifying what system he wanted, but then did a quick search and found it was heritage listed !!!
Steve you crack me up lol

I disagree. I'd pebbledash it, I recommend Canterbury spar. The seagulls feckin hate it but your neighbours in kent will love it.

All the best, Jon

Looking at the pics he posted i thought it was concrete when i commented and assumed the guy that posted had done some research to start specifying what system he wanted, but then did a quick search and found it was heritage listed !!!
Steve you crack me up lol

why do i crack youup paul... because i take the time to look at the jobs and tell it as it is... i see the guy hasnt even come back on here to look at our replys so hey ho hes got his advice bye bye... take it or leave it...

why do i crack youup paul... because i take the time to look at the jobs and tell it as it is... i see the guy hasnt even come back on here to look at our replys so hey ho hes got his advice bye bye... take it or leave it...

Cos your straight in there with your number, "i'll do it , i'll do it" lol , how have you taken the time to look at it , surely not from a few dodgy pictures you soddin clown lol

@ render systems
Are you a nationwide contractor. Ive noticed you are at newcastle, scotland etc etc
Im only curious so dont bite my head off

Parex, marmorit etc have a lime scraped render. Would these be suitable?

yes, parex do one a scrapped finish similiar to there monorex gf, thats made up of hydrated lime HL35 with no cement,
called paramiere clair as a base and moyen as a through coloured top

weve just done a project recently on a 300 year old cottage, that was grade 2 listed, there was no issue with planning as long as it was the same colour that was on originaly and a sample to the council provided.looked spot on, on completion theres nothing wrong with the mono option as long as its the right composition.
half the job with this kind of render is explaining to the client the different feasble options to them, that is why as said yu want to be paying top dollar from a reputable rendering outfit

Last edited:
yes, parex do one a scrapped finish similiar to there monorex gf, thats made up of hydrated lime HL35 with no cement,
called paramiere clair as a base and moyen as a through coloured top

weve just done a project recently on a 300 year old cottage, that was grade 2 listed, there was no issue with planning as long as it was the same colour that was on originaly and a sample to the council provided.looked spot on, on completion theres nothing wrong with the mono option as long as its the right composition.
half the job with this kind of render is explaining to the client the different feasble options to them, that is why as said yu want to be paying top dollar from a reputable rendering outfit

Owls,

I beleive St Astier also do a similar product.Did you machine apply it ??

not on this occasion as it was all small areas, the biggest panel was only around 20 metres, and it was a logistical nightmare as we couldnt get my v2 any where near.
just hand applied as per normal mono, just takes a bit longer to pull in than standard mono in our case we put it on first thing one day, and scatched back the end of the next. just had to keep going back on different stages to dub it out prior as the original walls were full of 'slacks'
and letting each coat of the base a day to cure.

@ render systems
Are you a nationwide contractor. Ive noticed you are at newcastle, scotland etc etc
Im only curious so dont bite my head off

Hi I work anywhere in the UK or abroad, im doing a site in middlesbourgh at the minute, starting another one soon in birming ham, and possibly one in plymouth... its very rare to get continious work in one area so i just travel a lot

Hi I work anywhere in the UK or abroad, im doing a site in middlesbourgh at the minute, starting another one soon in birming ham, and possibly one in plymouth... its very rare to get continious work in one area so i just travel a lot

How does that work with family?

well it got me divorced the first time around, as i was never there, but my new lady understands and if shes not working often travels with me

can i have a job i can fly a heilcoper:RpS_wink:

dont neccasary agree with that, i never really work more than an hour from me, and we have continous rendering work.
but each to there own use to travel years ago and stay over nights, but it got me down eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.