Help with ridiculously awkward wall in Victorian house...suggestions?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FReaK

Evening

I'm working on an old Victorian house I bought recently and have encountered a problem with two rooms downstairs. I can't for the life of me work out how I'm going to get them done. I'll do my best to explain...if you can offer any suggestions that would be great.

Ok...

The top of all the walls curve tightly and blends into the Victorian cornice that attaches to the ceiling. I can skim curves effortllessly usually, however the cornice has a decoative edge that drops making it impossible to get a trowel in. I've tried a mini trowel, a flexible taping knife, a small scraper, a flexible filling knife...I literally can't get a smooth layer of plaster on the curve. It's simply too tight an angle.

It looks like a couple of the walls have been skimmed in the past and feathered up to the curve. I really dont want to go down this route as the curve is cracked and looks unsightly.

Can anyone offer me a suggestion as to how to tackle this?!

I was cutting up plastic bottles earlier in an attempt to try and get to it! Desperate times...

:RpS_lol:

I think you are on the right track with a piece of pvc.
A plastic flexible tool would work well, sand the edges with fine (1500) sandpaper for a smooth finish. There used to be plastic artex spatulas with a wooden handle that would work.
Failing that, easyfill, can save frustration if you dont mind a bit of dust

Yep no problem mate get a spread in who knows wat they are doing i think there is an Irish lad near you who might help.

Easyfill, grip fill, sillicone, half of London is held up with this s**t, what happened to proper work.

Maybe it's condensation mate and you should do that wall with a condensation mix of 6 con 2 den 1 station

This is an easy one to answer. What you need is an old well used stainless steel finishing trowel (the grey handled Ragnis' are ideal) which is not of the Perma shape variety. If as a plasterer you for some strange reason don't have one already just get a new one and use it on a wide range of jobs for a few years after which the trowel will have taken on a lovely tight curve and you will have the skill (should have by then) to use it on awkward tight curves such as those described and stair winders etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.