How much did you get paid when you were an apprentice???

Status
Not open for further replies.
first yr i got £40/ week in 1995. then it doubled in second yr so on but that was as a paintsprayer. when i started on trowel the firm payed me 150/week that included my travel expenses as I had by then smased my car up and couldnt afford ins 4 a while. so it shouldv been 120/week working 6 days. I went to night school and paid for it myself. two nights a week in college but found it went quicker than my other NVQ as I spent so much time on tools compared to 4 days/week when i studied in the motor ind. after 3yrs on trowel i went solo

simplybesty said:
i loved maggie, it was like having blank cheque. loads of money until these left wing (french word)s got in
maggie thatcher the milk snatcher! ;D ;D

100 a week for first 12 weeks then 150 for rest of year then 70/30 split gradually working up to 55/45 split my old man would never go 50/50

I started when i was 14 missed the whole last year of school my old man took me on as he gave me the option, wish i would have stayed at school but i was on £60 a week and it felt like i was loaded and i started on a big site had to blagg that i was 18 i couldnt even lift a bag of skim, that was in 89.

bloke i work with reckoned it was nearly 8 stone. can't see it myself. probably having me on

Them browning bags were a right pain when they were that size [50kg],sometimes you used to carry them on your shoulder inside the house you were working on and more often than not you used to catch them on something and the bag would rip.

Oh the joy a tin bath and a larry keeping two plasterers going and doing a bit yourself happy days, under the stairs :)

my old man was tight as fek, he cut a 45 gallon tub in half and made me mix in that with a spade, i always had cuts and broken knuckles. used to love it though, and never had trouble sleeping

kirk johnstone said:
my old man was tight as fek, he cut a 45 gallon tub in half and made me mix in that with a spade, i always had cuts and broken knuckles. used to love it though, and never had trouble sleeping
Yeah how come your old man would never buy any tools.Mine used to use an old Wolf drill and the paddle was made of fencing wire stranded together,that was in the early eighties so he might of been clever or just tight. :D

dont know mate, he used to make me sit in the back of van too, even if there was no one sitting up front, never used to let me go the shop at dinner either, if i didnt get up at 5:30am to make my lunch before work then i would have to go hungry, also used to make me clean the van on a sunday inside and out haha the t**t was like hitler! haha

£125 a week in 2000. Upped to about 250 in 2003. Was on about the same in 2005 then the old c**t died so I took all his tools and went to agency work. 350 a week mostly taping. Most I ever made in 1 week was the agency work but I'm a lazy b*****d eh so can't complain. ;D

pftmonojetman said:
Oh the joy a tin bath and a larry keeping two plasterers going and doing a bit yourself happy days, under the stairs :)

Christ I had a good six pack through mixing browning and yes my old mans tin bath leaked like a sieve, apparently it never leaked before I started using it. With the big bags of browning I used to open up a couple of bags ahead of those I was mixing and pour water in and they would soak through and mix easier when needed.

i did 1 3bedroom flat in browning in a day. mixed for 3 plasterers all day long. hardest day of my working life.

I did a lil course and then started working with 2 spreads just labouring did that for 2 years and worked for nothing for like 4 weeks at first to prove I was keen.

Then used what money I did earn to buy tools and then just pushed on up then did another course just cos I could and then work some more with the other spreads doing huge jobs and then broke away and started on my tod.

In my prime I was employing 3 spreads (sometimes 4) and 2 labourers was going well then recession....

I worked fricken hard and even the 2 spreads I started with used to moan at every labourer after me why cant you be like flash! (yes my nick name) haha

I wish I started earlier but i didnt so I made the most of the circumstances and it paid off rather well

Danny

technicianman said:
i started work at 15 years old and got 10 pounds per week and that was for seven days

Is that when you was slim Les and could fit up chimneys Lol

I was thirteen when i started used to do 12 hrs darn pit and then 10hrs labourin on six spreads all for tupence a day and then gi mi muther tenpence board , they wert daze

wish i would have started earlier with the plastering i used to be on 35 pound a week and got out every nite i used to love fridays to get paid :D

Status
Not open for further replies.