Insurance job

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLIPPY

I priced up an insurance job about 2 months ago, it was replacing a water damaged ceiling.
I gave the householder a written estimate which he forwarded to his insurance company.
His insurance company then contacted me to discuss the estimate and what damage there was etc,
The householder contacted me 4 weeks ago and told me he had recieved insurance cheque and to arrange
as to when I could start. I told him I could start in weeks time, he contacted me a few days later to say that he wanted to delay job for 2 or 3 weeks as he had nowhere to store his furniture.... even though there was very little
furniture in the room. 3 weeks is up now and he has not contacted me, should I take it on the chin or what. :-[

carping said:
call the guy my bets he got a cheeper guy and pocketed the rest :mad:
It is totally wrong that they pay the householder for the work and not the builder/plasterer as they can got somebody cheaper,the reason they pay the person directly is so they are satisfied with the work that has been done and hand you the money when completed.I have done a job this week where the kitchen ceiling was damaged so it was overboarded and skimmed[what a bloody mess] and the guy used to do all insurance work so was paid directly by them.

I contacted the guy and he said can we leave it for a few months, insurance fraud is to be expected in this day and age I suppose.

SLIPPY said:
I contacted the guy and he said can we leave it for a few months, insurance fraud is to be expected in this day and age I suppose.

Ring the insurance company and shop him. I would, but i'm a proper c**t though.

Hi all

Unfortunatley this happens alot now the costomer gets paid but decides not to get the work at done at all , or get some one else thats cheaper than you so thay make out of it as well, we are always getting asked to add the excess on for them so thay are not out of pocket but had a few last year that done the same thing and never got back to use to start the job but we did have one insurance company ring us back and ask us if the work was done and could thay send someone round to check the work , but the company was very intrested when we told them the customer did not have the work done drop him right in it and he had to pay back the money ;D

TonyM said:
SLIPPY said:

Ring the insurance company and shop him. I would, but i'm a proper (french person) though.

I was going to phone the insurance co this morning and shop him but my wife said dont be a right c**t.

it goes on alot most insurance jobs are now paid by customer ,i dont get 20% of the jobs i price and i dont go to steep either because the insurance firms pay up quicker than 20 years ago .i think the fookers get the money and fill cracks with filler or live with a bow in the ceiling :mad:waste of time

This is why you should charge for quoting for insurance jobs. Wasted your time & petrol.

tony that sounds right mate ,wish we could all charge to price all jobs even £15,"£20 atime would help ,i try to do all pricing on sat morning,hate turning out in evenings

I dont bother with Plastering insurance work no more becuse of this reason,unless its really slow work wise.
I havent won a quote for insurance work "plastering" for nearly a year now.

i totally agree with the other posts but to add ---

if the insurance company pay the contractor they are employing him to carry out the work which opens up another can of worms

so

this is why you don't find many insurance companies asking the householder the get 2-3 quotes any more(10-15 years ago this was the norm)

they prefer to use a med-large building firm to handle the work for them direct---

saves on fraud as no money sent to the customer----(not all fraud)

(french word) for the rest of us though ---

martin

Phone him up and say the insurance company want proof that you carried out the work and they want you to go round and photograph it.

Then just listen to him squirm and wriggle like a pig for a bit....................then tell him hes a c*nt :)

I did a quote for a house that had a fire in the kitchen.I spent about 2 days in total costing this job up.
The fire had burnt through the ceiling joists so needed replacing,the kitchen and units were obviously trashed and needed replacing the firemens hoses had flooded the place and all plaster needed hacking off and full replaster.Most of the ground floor would need rewiring and putting right after,same with plumbing and new boiler needed also.
All retiling floors walls and decoration.New upv window asnd door as melted.
All new kitchen appliances and kitchen furniture.
The bedroom above kitchen would need reskimming in places new joists florboards and skirting etc + decoration.other decoration was needed in the hallway and lounge through sm,oke damage.
A big job 4+ weeks work.
I priced it right i know i did i was convinced id win the job my quote was £21,500 inclusive.
Any how a month later i drives by the job and theres polish builders crawling all over the site.
I dont no for a fact but im pretty sure they didnt put a price into insurance company and i doubt very much they would have the funds to complere the works needed.
So i thinks the owner has employed these cheap labour and poocketing the rest of the money for himself.The b*****d probably started the fire himself !!!!!!

skimmin2day said:
I did a quote for a house that had a fire in the kitchen.I spent about 2 days in total costing this job up.
The fire had burnt through the ceiling joists so needed replacing,the kitchen and units were obviously trashed and needed replacing the firemens hoses had flooded the place and all plaster needed hacking off and full replaster.Most of the ground floor would need rewiring and putting right after,same with plumbing and new boiler needed also.
All retiling floors walls and decoration.New upv window asnd door as melted.
All new kitchen appliances and kitchen furniture.
The bedroom above kitchen would need reskimming in places new joists florboards and skirting etc + decoration.other decoration was needed in the hallway and lounge through sm,oke damage.
A big job 4+ weeks work.
I priced it right i know i did i was convinced id win the job my quote was £21,500 inclusive.
Any how a month later i drives by the job and theres polish builders crawling all over the site.
I dont no for a fact but im pretty sure they didnt put a price into insurance company and i doubt very much they would have the funds to complere the works needed.
So i thinks the owner has employed these cheap labour and poocketing the rest of the money for himself.The (french person) probably started the fire himself !!!!!!

Was he Asian by any chance?? ::)

They,re all Asian where I live and the old "make big price for estimate please"
crops up frequently, Anyway after giving the estimate and waiting a while
I always ring them and say the insurance company have contacted me
and have been asking questions. They sh1t themselves ;D

do you guys charge for giving quotes for insurance work as for the reason for being stitched up with this line of work ?

ballsdeep said:
do you guys charge for giving quotes for insurance work as for the reason for being stitched up with this line of work ?

I haven't in the past but if someone rings up in future, it'll cost them £50 for the quote, which i'll tell them i'll knock off the bill if I do the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.