K Rendering Advice fellas?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok lads the time has come for some rendering advice, ive plenty experience with krend but not in the winter times and freezing weather ect,,, The job im working on has to be completed before xmas and i need to start pronto! Ive heard of krend accelerator but this wont rearly stop it freezing am asuming even if it sets quicker? is there a krend frost proofer ov some sort?
What problems have u had in the past and how can i go about this job? Cover with sheets of hessian? outside heaters? Open to all suggestions, the surface is concreate block and the heating is on full blast in the building.
I want turkey for xmas dinner not beans on toast.... Help!

i think all the answers your looking for are in your question , personally rendering in these temps are a no go , but if your being pushed, you should get the help you need to help protect it .

I once did a garden wall in Krend before christmas. Covered it all up and put a digital thermometer under the covers.

Next morning checked and it had gotten down to -5, ooooops.

Needless to say, the face of the Krend blew off everywhere.

Lesson learned. Mother Nature is a cruel mistress, ignore her and she'll spank you till your arse is sore.

Is there any heat loss on this building. it used to be easier before everyone had cavity wall insulation. It is going to be milder from thursday night so you might get away with it. Cover it up if you can.

Thanks for the replys, i know it shoudnt be done but the preasures on so i have to do it, and ive printed and got them to sign a dissclaimer if it f***s up. I put all the upvc beads on today and done the general prep work ready to fire the gear on. I also put a test panel of 2m2 on as its forcast to be -4 in sunny manchester tonight. If this stays on and the temp rises tomoz its goin on lol

If you're doing a next day scrape you could start laying on first thing and it will prob still be a bit soft unless it's froze lol, if they want it done and you've got a disclaimer that's good but it is getting milder next week...

If you're doing a next day scrape you could start laying on first thing and it will prob still be a bit soft unless it's froze lol, if they want it done and you've got a disclaimer that's good but it is getting milder next week...

I bloody hope it does coz we've got one render and a plinth to finish. No renders next winter for me.

I hope it stays cold up here cos I've just squeezed another inside job in before Xmas :RpS_crying:

Yea am doing a next day scrape spunky and its true we always get the rendering jobs in winter. It wouldve been better if i plastered outside first and inside this week, but hey... u know what customers are like they think they know best.

Just be careful mate for the sake of a day or 2 a frozen render is a right sod to rub better of leaving it to thore out and then hit it .

2 and above for applying mono[ they will state on literature 5-6 and rising, but youll get away with it a 2 and above. use some kind of accelerator ibrovit2 or axel 3000, that way it will be hard first thing in the morn, which will deal with any colder temps better if its nearly fully set, but it will still be green enough to open up with the i bar.
even next day scapes are sometimes dodgy as its sometimes still too soft even the next day, the accelerator will increase the curing time but it isnt an anti-freeze and to be fair you shouldnt put it on below around 2c, otherwise your asking for trouble.accelerators work out at around a quid a metre.
spunkys right, it get a lot milder next week monday onwards 8-9 and rising in the north, so a good weeks rendering before christmas with a bit of luck.

I've held off on my last rendering job in Bristol...might be able to fit it in next week though if temps rising! fingers crossed.

I,ve got a full tub of ibrovit2 if anyone wants it. Cost me about £90.00 any offers? Got that other Weber accelerator too the powdered one (Ibocar) in sachets. Good for same day beads and weber crack repairs.

Last edited:
I,ve got a full tub of ibrovit2 if anyone wants it. Cost me about £90.00 any offers? Got that other Weber accelerator too the powdered one in sachets. Good for same day beads and weber crack repairs.

Why does it crack:RpS_sneaky:

Temps set to soar up to the mid thirties on the 1st Jan, but i still don't think i'll bother rendering till mid feb/march :RpS_thumbsup:

Why does it crack:RpS_sneaky:

Don,t start me on that one Andy. That job what went wrong last year had a stress crack from a badly fitted kitchen window to a down pipe bracket screw. I did a Weber crack repair which required all of a tablespoon of Ibocar. I had to buy a bucket of the stuff. A bucket has 10 x 1kg sachets in it at £100 a bucket! Makes the repair set in 20 mins though. It was a combination of a badly bricked up window opening with no lintel, gaps around the window and the plug holding the bracket being flush with the mono instead of being in the brick and only being 3 brackets in a 6m length of down pipe. A combination of the bad workmanship around the window and the flex of the down pipe transmitting stress through the bracket to the plug which was conveniently 45 degrees to the window sill. Couldn,t do much about the brickwork around the window and the customer didn,t want a lintel fitting, not even a twist fix alternative as she could,t afford it. Quite a lesson on the down pipe flexing and the brown plug being part in the mono instead of all the brick.

Fortunately I had a photo of the wall hacked off showing the window but the repair was a gesture of goodwill to get her and trading standards of my back. She never thanked me either rather the other way around. It took a report from a structural engineer to get her to shut up! Taught me a hell of a lot that one! Email faults so you have proof of notifying the client, take photo,s, and state risks on the warranty.

Weber did have some of the blame being the most brittle mono on the market and Felix the Caribean cat insisting on 15mm min on top of rend aid which was more like 20mm in this area because of back brickwork. Even their mesh couldn,t stop that from cracking.

all render manufactorers make accelerators for mono, depending on the manufactorer its around a quid a metre[bar weber ibrovit].
fine for plonking on overnight, and scraping next morning.
i foolishly rendered onto durisol the week before last,without an accelerator[i had none on site] and it took 2 days for the monorex to set enough to scrape back

Last edited:
Ok fellas time to check in... So i put my m2 on for my in patient client in minus 2 temperatures and returned the next day to find a solid sheet of ice cold k render on the wall. S**t, f**k and i told u so sprung to mind as there was no chance of scrapeing it back.
Few hours later as the temp rose and sun came out it only started to defrost lol back to a nice medium set ideal for scrapeing! Scraped it back to a good finish with no dis-colouration atall. The following couple of days the temp has been 6 plus everyday and now the jobs flying, 2 days to go and the first frozen wall i done hasnt fell off... yet! :RpS_thumbsup:

As outlined in the application instructions krend should not be applied under 5 degrees celsius. krend also offer an accelerator now to help speed up the curing process hence this may be worth noting on your next job since this will help you scrape the render quicker than in normal conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.