Marble effect plaster advice please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntJones

I've been asked to quote a job to be finished in a marble effect. I have been in the trade 30 years but never done any of this.
I am thinking of going on the Goldtrowel course in the next few weeks. Seeing some of the amazing work done with these products and having read the reviews on here I am looking forward to it.
All the venetian work that I have seen on the net has been to flat finished surfaces but is it possible to create this effect to a rendered wall that has been ashlar blocked?
This is what i've been asked to do.
Thanks fellas

fill the ashlar joints in first then go over the lot

unless they want the ashlar look still...if thats the case this is a simple job you could easily make look like limestone blockwork....simply plaster each block independantly ,then point afterwards,simple.

if they do not want the ashlar look filling the joints first is the way to go....but ,and it is a big but ...the joints will flash unless the wall is further prepped before finish....fill the joints ,then talk to the supplier of which ever material you are going to use....it will need priming before finishing to even out the wall suction....and minimise the flashing of joints

Ant.......Goldtrowel is superb. Andy there knows his stuff and you will gain so much more than just the know how for this one job. Its relaxed, fun and informative!!!!

thanks Mike I have spoke to him. Andy seems a really nice bloke. Looking forward to doing the course soon.
Just hope I can tackle this job after.

Nice one!!! You wont regret it. All i can say is practice. Since the course in August i have done around 30m on various sized practice boards (MDF) using various techniques. I've just finished a couple of decent sized walls at home and have about four jobs lined up. Be warned.....its addictive lol Have fun!!!!

I like this question as its what im good at. I take it you want to keep the jointing effect. The best way to complete this would be to use a marmorino product either stucco or stone effect. 2-3 coats of coloured plaster to be applied to the desired finish to create movement but before the last coat is put on this is when the jointing effect comes in to play. I like to use diff sizes of low tack tape (not in imaculate straight lines) a bit wobbly to create rustic and natural blocks. Once the top coat has set the tape can easily be removed to leave the grout lines. Alternate colours can be used also to create diff effects if needed and lettering ect. Finally seal the product to with stand plenty of water or if not leave it to allow the lime based plaster to breathe. Please view attachment pics hope this helps. Hear i have stuck the tape on ready for the final coat.

polishedplaster12.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.