1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

metros

Discussion in 'Tiling Discussions' started by ruddez, May 21, 2017.

1. ruddez

ruddez Member

i have another job to tile over metro tiles with 600x300 wall tiles,the metros have been put on over sand and cement and are going to be very difficult to get off,as there are voids in the wall could i use neat pva and skim over to get a flatter surface to work to and then tile over just wondering would it work,or batten and board,the last job i did over tiles used a lot of adhesive and there was some lippage,or should i walk away,thanks

2. Davy sned

Davy sned Active Member

Sounds dodgy if they pay you enough strip it back or you could be going back too it in the future if your doubting it at all I would be walking

3. Dropsalot

Dropsalot Private Member

You know what's right. Easy choice for me, explain to client, make them see the pitfalls of doing it wrong.......if they want that, walk away, be principled, sleep at night , and you get to see the look on their face when you put the tools back in the van..........priceless.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

Just tile on top off the existing tiles and maybe use a pregrit also clean the old tiles

5. ruddez

ruddez Member

i have tiled on tile in the past with the right adhesive but its the amount of adhesive it takes, the dubbing out of the voids as you go along,i have skimmed over tiles before but not tiled then on on top of the skim,so i will explain the pit falls and options then its up to them,thanks

6. zolco

zolco Private Member

Put a diamond grinder on it with an extractor to take the high points off maybe then tile over?

7. jet

jet Active Member

You can tile over tiles with correct prep
    Metros are not flat & that size tile will need
    Bagged adhesive
    Skimming them you will have all weight on pva & skim
    Best all tiles off save your self a lot of headaches

8. ruddez

ruddez Member

good advice all,

9. ruddez

ruddez Member

another question if i am going to tile over tile can anybody advise an adhesive to use other than a ready mixed adhesive as it works out so expensive,thanks

10. Natwasere

Natwasere Well-Known Member

What material are the tiles? I'm guessing by the size it porcelain, for that use a flexible cement based one. Personally use a c2ft s1 can be brought from any tile shop or even things like wickes/b+q. Use a good primer.... not pva. I use Webber sp250 or sbr but many others around, so long as tiles solid scuff them.as best as you can and use 8mm+ notch trowel.

11. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

I think I agree with this.... your reputation if it goes wrong

12. ruddez

ruddez Member

they are hacked off now,dot and dabbing tomorrow

• Like Like x 1
  13. choppa

choppa Active Member

All that fuss and you got over it well done matey :bailando:

14. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

you will sleep better tonight :D

15. ruddez

ruddez Member

goodnight all

16. Natwasere

Natwasere Well-Known Member

Clearly wasn't well on there then. But you won't regret that. Nice flat surface to tile is luurrvly

17. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

night :D