metros

Members online

ruddez

i have another job to tile over metro tiles with 600x300 wall tiles,the metros have been put on over sand and cement and are going to be very difficult to get off,as there are voids in the wall could i use neat pva and skim over to get a flatter surface to work to and then tile over just wondering would it work,or batten and board,the last job i did over tiles used a lot of adhesive and there was some lippage,or should i walk away,thanks

Sounds dodgy if they pay you enough strip it back or you could be going back too it in the future if your doubting it at all I would be walking

You know what's right. Easy choice for me, explain to client, make them see the pitfalls of doing it wrong.......if they want that, walk away, be principled, sleep at night , and you get to see the look on their face when you put the tools back in the van..........priceless.(y)

i have tiled on tile in the past with the right adhesive but its the amount of adhesive it takes, the dubbing out of the voids as you go along,i have skimmed over tiles before but not tiled then on on top of the skim,so i will explain the pit falls and options then its up to them,thanks

Put a diamond grinder on it with an extractor to take the high points off maybe then tile over?

You can tile over tiles with correct prep
Metros are not flat & that size tile will need
Bagged adhesive
Skimming them you will have all weight on pva & skim
Best all tiles off save your self a lot of headaches

another question if i am going to tile over tile can anybody advise an adhesive to use other than a ready mixed adhesive as it works out so expensive,thanks

another question if i am going to tile over tile can anybody advise an adhesive to use other than a ready mixed adhesive as it works out so expensive,thanks

What material are the tiles? I'm guessing by the size it porcelain, for that use a flexible cement based one. Personally use a c2ft s1 can be brought from any tile shop or even things like wickes/b+q. Use a good primer.... not pva. I use Webber sp250 or sbr but many others around, so long as tiles solid scuff them.as best as you can and use 8mm+ notch trowel.

You know what's right. Easy choice for me, explain to client, make them see the pitfalls of doing it wrong.......if they want that, walk away, be principled, sleep at night , and you get to see the look on their face when you put the tools back in the van..........priceless.(y)

I think I agree with this.... your reputation if it goes wrong