Micro cement and venetian

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjp

cAN YOU MAKE YOUR OWN. I have seen marble dusst and lime being sold on internet. Seems much cheaper. Can't help but think we are getting ripped off. What's the right mix for classic etc or micro cement. Or can it not be done.
By the way can't find much info on micro cement any good websites etc on application. Thanks

cheap products on the floors are not worth it imo. also microcement can be more crack prone than a resin floor.

what sort of thing you after on the floors side?

Thanks for info. on micro cement. I don't like idea of it cracking. I've done 2 bathrooms with carrara and classic white. Due to do another bathroom next week. Wanted some sort of black granite like finish with silver specks. Info. on net about floors seem scarce. Might do tadelakt for that one on walls and floor if i can find info. on application as heard can be ok on floors. It's my own house so don't mind experimenting.
Regarding cheap products i agree. But could you make your own cheaply and of same quality as marble dust and lime can be bought cheaply. Shoes would not be worn on surfaces.

Thanks for info. on micro cement. I don't like idea of it cracking. I've done 2 bathrooms with carrara and classic white. Due to do another bathroom next week. Wanted some sort of black granite like finish with silver specks. Info. on net about floors seem scarce. Might do tadelakt for that one on walls and floor if i can find info. on application as heard can be ok on floors. It's my own house so don't mind experimenting.
Regarding cheap products i agree. But could you make your own cheaply and of same quality as marble dust and lime can be bought cheaply. Shoes would not be worn on surfaces.

Ive never had micro cement crack ever been using it for 4 years. Resin is stronger but its very expensive, you could use a resin with black pigment and silver glitter flakes. As for making your own micro cement the marble powder available from Tomps or Tiranti etc is shite, its not fine enough, you also need cellulose to hold water and aid curing use white cement as the binder and sbr for the polymer.

Thanks for ideas. Problem with this game is so many variatious techniques , products etc. Now i want to try polished cement and tadelakt and resin flooring at some time.
I want black granite look with silver specles. If you put glitter flakes in will they just act like grit in the finish and mess it up.
CKJ are you saying micro cement can be made by yourself and if so what are the ratios of mix. One of the reasons asking is if it turns out well in bathroom may do kitchen etc.
I know a bit about wall finishes but floor finishes are new to me. I've got hooked on this.
Thanks for info. as hard to get elsewhere.

Thanks for ideas. Problem with this game is so many variatious techniques , products etc. Now i want to try polished cement and tadelakt and resin flooring at some time.
I want black granite look with silver specles. If you put glitter flakes in will they just act like grit in the finish and mess it up.
CKJ are you saying micro cement can be made by yourself and if so what are the ratios of mix. One of the reasons asking is if it turns out well in bathroom may do kitchen etc.
I know a bit about wall finishes but floor finishes are new to me. I've got hooked on this.
Thanks for info. as hard to get elsewhere.

1 white cement, 3 marble flour, 1 marble salt for the course finish and just 4 marble flour for the fine finish for the liquid use 50/50 sbr-water. If you mix the course finish and do 2 layers in black about 1.5mm each, spray it a few times for the next 8 hours with water to aid curing, then apply 2 coats of this http://www.advancedsealingsolutions.co.uk/gloss-500-ml.html- but when applying the first coat sprinkle/seed some silver glitter flakes whilst tacky then when dry give it the second coat you should get what your looking for.

Thanks CKJ i shall source materials and get cracking. I'd really like to have a go at making it myself as the flooring mammorino i saw then other day was £350 per tub. Crazy money. Wondering how long between coats.
I really appreciate the help as info. hard to get.

Thanks CKJ i shall source materials and get cracking. I'd really like to have a go at making it myself as the flooring mammorino i saw then other day was £350 per tub. Crazy money. Wondering how long between coats.
I really appreciate the help as info. hard to get.

One tip is when you buy white cement make sure it is in date and its not been sat on the shelf for a while as this will ruin the set. leave 3-4 hours between coats when its dry enough to walk on make sure you wear socks and jogging pants, give it a good spray with water and make sure there is no surface water before you start again and that the product is just damp.

Heres a couple of links that may help

Glitter Flakes

Applying glitter

Last edited:
just one more thing, the marble salt is hard to get hold of and expensive. The particle size needs to be like kiln dried pavers sand so you can actually use kiln dried sand BUT it needs to go through a sieve first as it has larger grains in that will ruin/scratch when applying, use a baking sieve for flour, it also contains impurities like salt and bitumen that can bleed into to product. I have some calcium carbonate (marble) sand where are you based i can try get some to you???

you can substitute marble dust for sand as per sand cement render / screed mix. Just joined this site. am also doing my own house and want a polished concrete / marble finish on my external and bathroom renders. Was told to look at systems but finishes are crap with K-rend / Weber / etc so thinking of mixing my own s/c on traditional battens / eml with marble dust for sand (50 / 50) in float coat which you can then wax / lacquer etc if you want it really shiny. Read a scientific article about it. Need to use Portland or type s cement. good news is that the marble improves the cured strength of the mix, makes it less water permeable and also more moisture retentive during cure so less need to keep wet. Bad news (for me) is that it's a heavier (denser) mix as the dust fills all the gaps around larger sand particles. Probably have to watch suction (if doing walls) and maybe add retarder to begin with until you see how it behaves. Micro-cement is really just smaller particles in mix and bigger prices on the tin. If you know what you're doing (which I don't, here - see name), you always adjust mixes for ambient conditions/ backgrounds etc or seek to control those conditions. For contractors etc, this is most economically done with prefab backgrounds (boards / screeds) and pre-mixed coatings. It's cheaper and better make your own if time isn't a factor but end result is. Where did you find your marble dust? Have looked and 25kg bags are 15 quid which seems a bit much for waste material. Also, any advice on my external rendering? It's the weight...Is there possibility of using Parex basecoat on board and then making float coat mix. Adhesion? do you need to polymerise the mix to bond with the base? Thanks

you can substitute marble dust for sand as per sand cement render / screed mix. Just joined this site. am also doing my own house and want a polished concrete / marble finish on my external and bathroom renders. Was told to look at systems but finishes are crap with K-rend / Weber / etc so thinking of mixing my own s/c on traditional battens / eml with marble dust for sand (50 / 50) in float coat which you can then wax / lacquer etc if you want it really shiny. Read a scientific article about it. Need to use Portland or type s cement. good news is that the marble improves the cured strength of the mix, makes it less water permeable and also more moisture retentive during cure so less need to keep wet. Bad news (for me) is that it's a heavier (denser) mix as the dust fills all the gaps around larger sand particles. Probably have to watch suction (if doing walls) and maybe add retarder to begin with until you see how it behaves. Micro-cement is really just smaller particles in mix and bigger prices on the tin. If you know what you're doing (which I don't, here - see name), you always adjust mixes for ambient conditions/ backgrounds etc or seek to control those conditions. For contractors etc, this is most economically done with prefab backgrounds (boards / screeds) and pre-mixed coatings. It's cheaper and better make your own if time isn't a factor but end result is. Where did you find your marble dust? Have looked and 25kg bags are 15 quid which seems a bit much for waste material. Also, any advice on my external rendering? It's the weight...Is there possibility of using Parex basecoat on board and then making float coat mix. Adhesion? do you need to polymerise the mix to bond with the base? Thanks

what sort of render effect finish do you want ? there are products that are much more impressive than the standard monocouche and with glitters

I did some micro cement about 8 years ago on my own place in the downstairs bathroom/wetroom.
white cement to 3 marble (2 fine and 1 coarse) plus yellow ochre and brown cement colouring.

pva'd breeze block wall - cement screed scratched and straightening coat then applied the mix next day.
once it was thoroghly dry light sand to reveal the grain, wiped down and water based silicon applied to give water resistant finish.

the shower area was in use 2x/day for 8 years - no mould, no damp penetration, no discolouring & no cracking to the walls.
each panel ~ 700mm x 1150mm & grouted

bey3x1.jpg

25rl3zt.jpg

30cyqmh.jpg

worked a treat

Status
Not open for further replies.