My first attempt at skimming

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodland81

Hello,

Well I attempted to plaster today for the very first time.

I have a small bedroom it had wallpaper on, i took it off and there was alot of mismatched plaster underneath. chunks missing and wanted to skim it to allow for painting.

I've done one wall so far, couple of meters or so. I want to do a better job on the remaining walls, the one i did is still drying and might be ok, definitely not perfect.

I found doing my first coat it was hard putting it on and found when doing the strokes id get some plaster on but then have gaps, i know i havent go the technique yet, not sure if it was due to the uneven walls. Could it be that my plaster was too thick? I did think i was putting an awful lot on and I didnt glide quickly as Ive seen the professionals.

For my second coat, i made it a bit looser, got half it on the floor :RpS_biggrin:, the first coat was fairly dry when i did the second coat to fill in the bits id missed, which there was alot.

I found that ive got patches where I musnt have got an even finish, like i've removed what ive put on during the second coat.

Ive been over it dry trowling and then the wet trowling to polish it. feels fairly smooth when i rub my hand over it but i do find bad bits. Its alot better than the condition it was when the paper came off though. It could be that if i paint it I wont even be able to see the issues myself.

My first go hasn't been a complete disaster so I've gained a little confidence and who knows the other walls might be much better with practice. All going well, ive another bedroom with wallpaper, top of the stairs and all down the stairs. thankyou previous owner :RpS_mellow:

Is the consistency of my plaster whats causing me the issues or technique, was 'trying' to flatten the trowel angle the further down the wall, my stroke went

Lee

Attachments

• My first attempt at skimming
    IMG_20140908_093412.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,185
    IMG_20140908_141416.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,288
Let it all dry. Give it a mist coat then youll see any little bits that might need sanding or a filling

Last edited:
it looks sh1t hot. you could do it for a living. is that the 300mm b and q handboard?

Not bad for a first attempt mate.
My first attempt at skimming
Pics a bit small I think but essentially you should be doing two coats one after the other, a good stroke pattern on an average height wall is that - this is the way I am currently being taught. Starting top left moving down overlapping. Do not attempt to tidy up the coats and mess on with the plaster at all, you should see the lines of your application, straight on with the second coat. Coming in on the edges obviously to get an even application.

I always wash off after a few times on the hawk and trowel to stop plaster drying. Once the second coats on I wash up and clean up the hawk and trowel properly and clean the floor up etc. When I go back the plasters starting to set, that is when I trowel up. It is a very firm application and it draws in the plaster filling in any holes or gaps and you are left with a flat nice looking wall. Then I have a break make a phone call, have a cuppa and toilet if I need it. By the time I get back I polish up, top left down as needed.

When you are mixing up I can guarantee you the plaster should be wetter than you'll think it should be if you are doing a full wall because as a beginner you aren't gonna be quick. I'm getting a decent finish on at the minute and I'm still slow in comparison to what a lot of these blokes will be.

As a beginner though I hope you are papering over it :) it's never gonna look properly up to standard unless you get a pro in.

Ha thats not carpet, its actually some sort of Lino that was under the carpet.

Thanks. gonna make the plaster much wetter on my next attempt, that should help with spreading quicker and more evenly with longer strokes. I did faff on alot filling missed bits.

I just used a beginners trowel from B&Q

Not sure when im gonna do it, can already feel my shoulders and arms stiffening up, be bad in the morning lol

Well ive given it another go today. made my mixture wetter, probably too thin could hardly keep it on my trowel. Still cant seem to get the action right.

When im spreading i get alot of it on when i start but as i go up or down the wall the less im getting on even when i change my angle, then when I go over again, end up putting on where i didnt before and scraping off where i did. I dont know if its me or the varying contours of the walls. definitely havent got better.

My first wall is fairly dry now too

Attachments

IMG_20140909_164853.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 847
    IMG_20140909_164844.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 837
    IMG_20140909_164812.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 847
    IMG_20140909_164657.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,128
the fist wall you did, now that it's almost dry looks ..........................................****

Hmm not sure what your comment was KevRM, it blocked it out, so dont know if you mean it looks good or bad being dry.

I'm gonna cover the skirting over and put coving too. my edges of the walls top and bottom is terrible to hide it, its not removable skirting its like brick, not hollow

Have got the walls either side of the window left to do

Fair play for giving it a go but truth is if you want a flawless finish it'll either need sanding and filling or a plasterer to redo it.

Fill the holes with joint cement wait till it dries and give it a sand down.

Smoothly I agree there is a lot of people on here who moan for the sake of it. But these lads are pros and do it for a living.. You posted work and got some honest feedback..

A spade is a spade mate

Smoothly I agree there is a lot of people on here who moan for the sake of it. But these lads are pros and do it for a living.. You posted work and got some honest feedback..

A spade is a spade mate

Or " an earth inverting horticultural implement "
Tom sharpe quote ,

Woah Woah woah my mouth doesn't go anywhere near another mans genitals. Its the other way around!

fair play ive never read any possitive feedback on this site !!
talk about doom and gloom!

well said :RpS_thumbup: it looks okay to me woodsman :RpS_thumbup: dont let them drag you down mate. some flat matt and strategically placed lighting and it will look fine. if its an old house it gives it character. i always say that to customers with old victorian / georgian houses as im leaving :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.