Nail guns

Members online

No members online now.

jimbo71

This ones for the multi traders and especially Imago who is the font of knowledge, I'm looking to buy a first fix nail gun, I've got an air gun and compressor but it's not good enough, I'm undecided between the Paslode which is the obvious choice , but looking at the Makita they're getting good reviews, any experience or ideas?

Paslode is what I’ve got- very good and easy to use. However, were I to need a new one, I might just have to have a look at the dewalt battery nailer....Eh?

I had paslode ones till 2 years ago, I went with hilti, haven't had any dramas with it. If your on a budget Bostitch, Hitachi is great for value. As Scott said makitas quite good, I heard mixed things about the dewalt.

The Makita one comes with a 3 year service and cleaning package! The de walt is very expensive, nearly double the price!

The Makita one comes with a 3 year service and cleaning package! The de walt is very expensive, nearly double the price!
They pretty bomb proof, when it starts playing up, just pull it apart, 7 screws, clean the chamber, piston, fan, spark plug, clean the chamber seals. Oil it up, push piston in and out a few times to.lubricate it, put some oil on the seals, twist them around a few times, put it back together with some thread seal on the screws, bobs your uncle. Paslode used to be around 65 quid plus parts to repair. When you ran out of the cleaning spray just get some brake cleaning spray

I've still got the paslode impulse nailer, it's about 14 yrs old now. Have looked at the bostitch and makita as a renewal.

Bought a Makita and it didn’t work straight out of the box. Got my money back and bought the Hilti.
Won’t by Makita anything. Utter shite !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took the plunge and got the Paslode imc60, very nice bit of kit, also splashed out on the Milwaukee 18v 2nd fix nail gun, see how that goes!!

Ooooh!

Attachments

• 1509265930278.jpg
    1509265930278.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 436
This ones for the multi traders and especially Imago who is the font of knowledge, I'm looking to buy a first fix nail gun, I've got an air gun and compressor but it's not good enough, I'm undecided between the Paslode which is the obvious choice , but looking at the Makita they're getting good reviews, any experience or ideas?

I don't own/use a nail gun. I use screws in all the first fix stuff I do as anything that needs more than a 1" brad needs a screw to be done properly IMHO.

Things like stud walls and roof joists for example, if you bang nails in they just keep the timber in place. If you use screws they pull the joint together it makes it much more solid and tight, which makes it much less likely to creak, spread or shift.

There's two schools of thought on that , yeah screws are great for repositioning, but nails are quucker and allow a bit more flexibility expansion contraction etc,

allow a bit more flexibility expansion contraction etc,

Which is the problem, the last place you want any movement is at the joint because as soon as it does it becomes weak. Timber expands, contracts and moves along it's length and that's where it needs to be contained. So with a tight joint the movement doesn't weaken the structure or become susceptible to vibration.

Nails are just a hang over from a couple of hundred years ago when they couldn't make screws. They used metal nails as a cheaper quicker less skilled alternative to pegs, tenons etc. Now they are purely cheaper and quicker but definitely inferior to screws.

My nail gun gets used for tacking stuff in place most of the time on domestic work. Where I use mine a lot cos it makes sense to is Yorkshire boarding, sheds, fencing and horse boxes. Finishing nailers though are a god send.

Which is the problem, the last place you want any movement is at the joint because as soon as it does it becomes weak. Timber expands, contracts and moves along it's length and that's where it needs to be contained. So with a tight joint the movement doesn't weaken the structure or become susceptible to vibration.

Nails are just a hang over from a couple of hundred years ago when they couldn't make screws. They used metal nails as a cheaper quicker less skilled alternative to pegs, tenons etc. Now they are purely cheaper and quicker but definitely inferior to screws.

Yes the old skill sets have been replaced with speed, i was reading about a tusked mortise and tenon joint (bit sad i know) Paslode have released a screw nail??

I doubt nails are inferior. Try nailing 2 pieces of 4x2 together with a nail gun loaded with 90mm ringshank, you haven't a chance to take it apart without damaging the wood, even tho the nails are only 2.8-3.1mm diameter wire nails. Nails are not designed as an alterable fixing, you have screws for that and bolts. They haven't a tensile strength like a screw obviously. You trying to compare apples and oranges.

Yes the old skill sets have been replaced with speed, i was reading about a tusked mortise and tenon joint (bit sad i know) Paslode have released a screw nail??
Yes, paslode has collated screws available for im350+ upwards which takes a square bit

I doubt nails are inferior. Try nailing 2 pieces of 4x2 together with a nail gun loaded with 90mm ringshank, you haven't a chance to take it apart without damaging the wood, even tho the nails are only 2.8-3.1mm diameter wire nails. Nails are not designed as an alterable fixing, you have screws for that and bolts. They haven't a tensile strength like a screw obviously. You trying to compare apples and oranges.

If you place two pieces of wood together, then drive a nail in the only pressure between the two pieces of wood is the contact pressure,i.e. next to none.

If you place two pieces of wood together and use either a shanked screw or pre-drill the piece the screw first goes through then drive a screw in the joint is tightened. So you have an interference joint because of the loading on the contact faces, a mechanical joint because of the force provided along the screws length and a pressure joint because of the clamping effect between the two pieces of wood.

To put it in it's simplest terms, nails hold things in place, screws form a joint.

Nails have their place in construction, but they do not and cannot form a joint without being used in conjunction with something else. A notched joint where the nail keeps the pieces in place, or a glued joint where the nail holds the pieces in contact until the glue sets.

Nails are components for a purpose, but as with any other, if they're not used in the correct way then it's just sh1te work.

If you place two pieces of wood together, then drive a nail in the only pressure between the two pieces of wood is the contact pressure,i.e. next to none.

If you place two pieces of wood together and use either a shanked screw or pre-drill the piece the screw first goes through then drive a screw in the joint is tightened. So you have an interference joint because of the loading on the contact faces, a mechanical joint because of the force provided along the screws length and a pressure joint because of the clamping effect between the two pieces of wood.

To put it in it's simplest terms, nails hold things in place, screws form a joint.

Nails have their place in construction, but they do not and cannot form a joint without being used in conjunction with something else. A notched joint where the nail keeps the pieces in place, or a glued joint where the nail holds the pieces in contact until the glue sets.

Nails are components for a purpose, but as with any other, if they're not used in the correct way then it's just sh1te work.
Is your architraves or your kitchen unit backpanels are all screwed for example, I highly doubt it. Why they fix mf with nail guns to concrete and steel and not screws? When did you last mortices and tenoned anything on a new build if it's not an oak frame construction? Hangers been put up for years with ppn nail guns for joists etc. Come on imago times have changed.

Is your architraves or your kitchen unit backpanels are all screwed for example, I highly doubt it. Why they fix mf with nail guns to concrete and steel and not screws? When did you last mortices and tenoned anything on a new build if it's not an oak frame construction? Hangers been put up for years with ppn nail guns for joists etc. Come on imago times have changed.

The original post question was a bout first fix.

Are architraves or cabinet panels structural?
When has any technique on new builds been best practice?
When have new builds been about anything other than the quickest and cheapest methods?
Why are there so many claims and problems with new build timber work shifting and causing cracks?
How do joist hangers work? The nails don't hold the timber, so are only one part of the process and as I said above, nails are fine if they're used appropriately.
You're right, times have changed, so why would you recommend a fixing method that is centuries old when a more modern alternative is available?

Ask on a carpenters forum. Lol

Y
The original post question was a bout first fix.

Are architraves or cabinet panels structural?
When has any technique on new builds been best practice?
When have new builds been about anything other than the quickest and cheapest methods?
Why are there so many claims and problems with new build timber work shifting and causing cracks?
How do joist hangers work? The nails don't hold the timber, so are only one part of the process and as I said above, nails are fine if they're used appropriately.
You're right, times have changed, so why would you recommend a fixing method that is centuries old when a more modern alternative is available?
Yes you're right, the question was about 1st fix nail guns, not screws or tenons or scarf joints or pegs or resin anchors.
There are other new builds out there not just mass produced by national house builders.
I only brought kitchen units and architraves in as you say nails are s**t and inferior and no place in construction whatsoever, I was fairly confident about it that at least them 2 items in construction will be fixed with nails or staples.
You never used or owned a nail gun so how can you even make a comparison, go and try a few might open up new avenues for you, but then again you don't produce s**t work but everyone else is who owns one by the sound of it :llorando:

Y
I only brought kitchen units and architraves in as you say nails are s**t and inferior and no place in construction whatsoever, I was fairly confident about it that at least them 2 items in construction will be fixed with nails or staples.

I really didn't

Nails have their place in construction,