Newbie looking for a steer please

Members online

HodgeHeg

I’m doing up a house as a rental project & it needs to be skimmed right through. We’ve overboarded the ceilings as they had various holes from lift fittings being moved, studded & boarded the bathroom to get some insulation in, and stripped the paper off the walls.

The plasterer said to paint the walls with ‘either Green Grit or Plas Prime’.

Just wanted to ask the audience thoughts on these two products as both seem to be twice the price of the stuff most commonly discussed on previous posts…the blue grit type stuff…if it was your money, which would you go for?

Also, do I need to coat the new plasterboarding on the ceilings or bathroom with anything, or do you just skim straight on to it?

Thanks

do I need to coat the new plasterboarding on the ceilings or bathroom with anything, or do you just skim straight on to it?

Depends how fresh the boards are. After a few weeks, they can get very dry, which can suck the moisture out of the applied plaster before you've had a chance to trowel it.

If you know they've been there for a few weeks, or if you're just unsure, you can safely add a coat or two of diluted PVA to the boards, to control the suction. You're not trying to reduce suction/absorbency to zero - just trying to keep it at sensible levels so the plaster doesn't lose moisture too rapidly. If the boards were bought just a few days ago, then they'll probably be fine without needing any PVA. In any case, it'd be wise to plaster a small area first, to see how the plaster behaves, rather than mixing up a full bag and getting caught out.

Just to be clear: grit primers aren't necessary for plasterboard - diluted PVA is all you need for this purpose.

However, you can still go ahead and use grit primers on the walls, as already suggested.

I’m doing up a house as a rental project & it needs to be skimmed right through. We’ve overboarded the ceilings as they had various holes from lift fittings being moved, studded & boarded the bathroom to get some insulation in, and stripped the paper off the walls.

Just wanted to ask the audience thoughts on these two products as both seem to be twice the price of the stuff most commonly discussed on previous posts…the blue grit type stuff…if it was your money, which would you go for?

Also, do I need to coat the new plasterboarding on the ceilings or bathroom with anything, or do you just skim straight on to it?

Thanks
10L bostik plasterers stabilizing primer 40 quid in toolstation......a bit more expensive than blue grit but far nicer to use

Thanks
If your plasterer has recommended a product that he likes to work over then just go buy it.
Personally I hate Blue Grit, the grit is just too large for my liking, the green is far more friendly.
Plasterboard doesn't need priming unless it's been fixed for a long while, if at all. I've gone over boards that have been up for over a year and if they're clean, they're fine. A bit of suction shouldn't worry a plasterer.