Planning Permissions For A Loft Conversion In A Flat

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats why you need to have direct acess to your front getting out on the roof is not considered anymore you basically have to have a corridor running to your front door

You need linked smoke alarms, insulation, fire doors throughout (depending on your council) self closers on every door, a seperate consumer unit is a benefit, heating and so on. A dormer is more expensive but this can usually give you your head height for your stairs, an extra room or even a bathroom and the views can be superb.

Thats why you need to have direct acess to your front getting out on the roof is not considered anymore you basically have to have a corridor running to your front door
No you don't your loft needs to be seperate to the rest of your house with a fire door. You could never have a corridor from a loft to your front door it wouldn't be worth doing and would be impossible in most If not every style house. If you have a fire in the loft you need to be able to shut it off with a door and escape out the house and the same if there is a fire in the house shut it off and escape out the loft.

You need direct acess from the loft to the front door without entering any habitable rooms the roof is not considered a safe place to escape to anymore

You need direct acess from the loft to the front door without entering any habitable rooms the roof is not considered a safe place to escape to anymore
I'm sure if the house was on fire you wouldn't be saying that lol this is one of the biggest sticklers when converting a loft, an escape route and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't drop it to make things easier and unsafer but I stopped converting lofts about six years ago so maybe they have changed but I doubt it.

So going off this your saying you could convert your loft without any windows and this would be fine?

Yeah it did change as i was going to do mine this is what i was told i would have had to turn my stairs around

Yeah it did change as i was going to do mine this is what i was told i would have had to turn my stairs around
What your saying is correct about habitable rooms but you also need what I said if what your saying was fact there would be a lot of people killed every year and the. It would be changed back. Who gave you the info?

The loft needs a fire door to it either at the top or the bottom if it's at the top it need a certain amount of space ie a small hallway this is where people struggle for space. If you have a gable the window there is ideal but if you need a velux it needs to be a certain distance from the gutter which looks stupid sometimes in the room and also because it is low to the ground it needs to be a certain type of velux that a young child couldn't open.

Just had a read and a lot contradict themselves but in some councils they are saying a roof escape is not a safe means of escape which is correct but it is safer than having no escape. They have always required a a safe route out the house and some say an escape through a first floor window so another contradiction. I know what I would have in the loft and if I was to do one for a customer I would Deffo go with the escape route through the loft aswell as the house, a lot of councils differ and building inspectors differ but it's safe to go over the top with fire in mind.

Because you aint going through any rooms
And every door is locked and you are awake once the fire starts lol if the whole of downstairs is on fire you ain't getting out if it starts in the early hours and your asleep in your new loft conversion :)

Look into it again I used to do a few and worked for a few companies who done them and they never fitted a sprinkler system ever. A set of stairs would cost around £350 but if you could turn your own it would only cost labour.

It would mean changing the whole layout of my house my mate has a sprinkler system in his house and he aint even got a loft room

I will just send my building man in and let him worry about that and just give me a list of what needs doing :D

Don't get it drawn on the back of a fag packet and don't get an architect get someone who does drawings to show you previous drawings of lofts and post them up:)

You need linked smoke alarms, insulation, fire doors throughout (depending on your council) self closers on every door, a seperate consumer unit is a benefit, heating and so on. A dormer is more expensive but this can usually give you your head height for your stairs, an extra room or even a bathroom and the views can be superb.
Self closers have gone a few yrs now, I did a loft a few years ago 2010 and I didn't need fire doors as linked smoke and heat alarms sufficed,did one in 2013 and needed them,they all interpret the rules differently

Yeh each job is different and so is each BI get on the wrong side of them and they can make it very difficult.

Yeh each job is different and so is each BI get on the wrong side of them and they can make it very difficult.
We used private b I the last time and found them easier to work with but they are strict with the rules, they make a maximum of three visits and then photos sent after that, found it easier than dancing with the council, everything is done online, PDF sent over and back all signed off..

My dad,mates daughter had her loft converted ten years ago and has just sold the house the new owner was moving in .
It cropped up that building control never got asked to do a final check to sign off work from ten years before,she had to have fire doors fitted to the two loft bedrooms( bungalow with dormer) literally as new owner was moving in to comply.
if your renewing all the ceilings below your attic with 12.5 mm plasterboard that used to be sufficient for fire protection,I,be seen us years ago having to fit chicken wire above old ceilings to support insulation so it carnt fall in a fire.
probably a couple rsjs will be needed to support larger floor joist for new floor area as you'll not want to floor entire attic area ,think you,ll need an rsj under ridge board to stop any spread added by extra load.
insulation used to be 75 mm between joists,with 50 mm below.we used to fit 2x2 across rafters at 90% always found it easier for fixing boards,continuous air gap maintained through ridge line.

Status
Not open for further replies.