Plastered my first wall - tips for others

Squawk

So proud, plastered my first wall (well, skimmed). Is it perfect? Nope. Would I want it in the living room? Probably not. Good enough for the space bedroom? Absolutely. And really quite rewarding to do. And messy, oh so messy. I'd encourage anyone to give it a go.

I won't tell anyone how to plaster: what the hell do I know after a single wall? Just read up here and watch loads of youtube videos (I found the Tommy's trade secrets one on plastering quite useful). However, I will try and save people from some of the mistakes I made. Most of these are to do with the practicalities of plastering - preparation really is key.

No doubt the pro's will find all this elementary and/or pointless. But I made most of these mistakes.

1. After you've mixed the plaster, tip it out of the bucket and onto something flat in the area you're working in. Wash out the bucket immediately. I kept the plaster in the bucket and transferred it slowly to my hawk and then the wall: cleaning the bucket after the first mix was a pig, and after the second was nigh on impossible as I forgot and left it half an hour

2. You're going to get the stuff all over the floor. And I mean ALL OVER the floor. Cover up.

3. Keep your tools in a bucket of water at all times. Plaster still sets in water, so use a paint brush to keep them clean

4. Mixing plaster is messy: wear a face mask rated high enough to stop the plaster

5. Spare pair of shoes or a clean route out to the garage is a must - my carpets had foorprints showing everywhere I had been (SWMBO was not impressed).

6. Buy a plaster mixing attachment for your drill. Less than £10 from toolstation. Worth its weight in gold

7. I bought a trowel for £6. It's not broken in. It worked, though god knows if I'd have found it easier with a nicely broken in trowel. Probably, as I did dig in the edges a bit.

8. I used a full bag of plaster (multi-finish) and managed to cover an area about 3.5m^2 with two coats, as opposed to the 5m^2 I should have been able to manage according to the literature. No doubt due to me being crap.

The results:
Won't really know until it's been painted, but its smooth to the touch albeit with the odd blemish. I have no idea why the bit in the middle is a different colour. Drying from the middle faster?

Plastered my first wall - tips for others

Sure it wasn't some RWF prick instead giving you online tips?? Tommy Walsh is shite can't stand him or RWF fucktard either!! Looks like your trowel was about 6 inch long looking at the lines or was it a venitian trowel?? Anyways bet of luck but watching or listening to Tommy Walsh or the rolex loving RWF ?? Your never going to achieve anything am afraid. Offer your services free to a local spread with a good reputation and learn from him not pinky and perky

Oh I have no desire to be a plasterer. I'm strictly a DIY around the house guy who fancied giving it a pop. I picked an out of the way wall in the spare room to give it a shot, and for a first go I'm happy. If the next wall isn't better I won't be though, always learning.

So proud, plastered my first wall (well, skimmed). Is it perfect? Nope. Would I want it in the living room? Probably not. Good enough for the space bedroom? Absolutely. And really quite rewarding to do. And messy, oh so messy. I'd encourage anyone to give it a go.

I won't tell anyone how to plaster: what the hell do I know after a single wall? Just read up here and watch loads of youtube videos (I found the Tommy's trade secrets one on plastering quite useful). However, I will try and save people from some of the mistakes I made. Most of these are to do with the practicalities of plastering - preparation really is key.

No doubt the pro's will find all this elementary and/or pointless. But I made most of these mistakes.

1. After you've mixed the plaster, tip it out of the bucket and onto something flat in the area you're working in. Wash out the bucket immediately. I kept the plaster

1. After you've mixed the plaster, tip it out of the bucket and onto something flat in the area you're working in. Wash out the bucket immediately. I kept the plaster in the bucket and transferred it slowly to my hawk and then the wall: cleaning the bucket after the first mix was a pig, and after the second was nigh on impossible as I forgot and left it half an hour

2. You're going to get the stuff all over the floor. And I mean ALL OVER the floor. Cover up.

3. Keep your tools in a bucket of water at all times. Plaster still sets in water, so use a paint brush to keep them clean

4. Mixing plaster is messy: wear a face mask rated high enough to stop the plaster

5. Spare pair of shoes or a clean route out to the garage is a must - my carpets had foorprints showing everywhere I had been (SWMBO was not impressed).

6. Buy a plaster mixing attachment for your drill. Less than £10 from toolstation. Worth its weight in gold

7. I bought a trowel for £6. It's not broken in. It worked, though god knows if I'd have found it easier with a nicely broken in trowel. Probably, as I did dig in the edges a bit.

8. I used a full bag of plaster (multi-finish) and managed to cover an area about 3.5m^2 with two coats, as opposed to the 5m^2 I should have been able to manage according to the literature. No doubt due to me being crap.

The results:
Won't really know until it's been painted, but its smooth to the touch albeit with the odd blemish. I have no idea why the bit in the middle is a different colour. Drying from the middle faster?

View attachment 12997

I think its art ......a rabbit with no ears staring at his hand....
(Do rabbitts have hands ??)

I think its art ...a rabbit with no ears staring at his hands
(Do rabbits have hands)

And the rabbit has antlers ..sort of.

ooh I see what you mean. Though now you mention it, flip the other way around and it's a bit like the playboy bunny with the ears chopped off

I turned it upside down ..looks like a sinking octopus with no arms.
And its raining.
With some other species swimming for its dear life !!!

I commend you for having a go at it!
I'm not sure your going to like the painted end result though!

You might have to get a bit happy with the sander I'm afraid.

Although I'm not going to have a pop at someone having a go in their own property.

The thing with Plastering is it can be a pig of a job which it mainly is but it's rewarding at the end (whatever the end result)

I commend you for having a go at it!
I'm not sure your going to like the painted end result though!

You might have to get a bit happy with the sander I'm afraid.

Although I'm not going to have a pop at someone having a go in their own property.

The thing with Plastering is it can be a pig of a job which it mainly is but it's rewarding at the end (whatever the end result)

Thanks Reeves. I chose the wall I did precisely because of this: out of the way, likely to end up with shelving and pictures all over it. Gotta start somewhere, unfortunately I'm not as gifted as some who did their first wall perfect...

Let's see if I learn anything when the second wall goes on: aiming for a man riding a horse on that one.

Algeeman, a 6 pack and I'll give it a whirl. Bring popcorn

Thanks Reeves. I chose the wall I did precisely because of this: out of the way, likely to end up with shelving and pictures all over it. Gotta start somewhere, unfortunately I'm not as gifted as some who did their first wall perfect...

Let's see if I learn anything when the second wall goes on: aiming for a man riding a horse on that one.

Algeeman, a 6 pack and I'll give it a whirl. Bring popcorn
Just do the same wall again on till you get a better finish then move on to other walls.

Just do the same wall again on till you get a better finish then move on to other walls.

The problem with doing the same wall again for a novice will be controlling the suction.
It will be a nightmare to get it right
I still hate having to skim bare plaster as it's a pain in the arse.

But there's no harm in trying