Pre plastering joints

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewbuckley

Hi chaps, this maybe an amateur question however I'm just after a bit of clarity. How many of you guys apply self adhesive scrim to a plasterboard wall then plaster all joints, wait for the joints to go firm but not set then begin the plastering process ? Is this common procedure as I have worked with over 20 plasterers, some who make me embarrassed enough to even pick up a trowel yet I have never seen this done ??? Your thoughts ??

To cut a long story short in still receiving complaints from a job which I have mentioned in a previous thread on here. They are using the thistle plastering guide as a reference to snag my work. I was not taught to do this and as I have said I have never seen this done, however it does state it in the thistle plastering guide.

To cut a long story short in still receiving complaints from a job which I have mentioned in a previous thread on here. They are using the thistle plastering guide as a reference to snag my work. I was not taught to do this and as I have said I have never seen this done, however it does state it in the thistle plastering guide.
Post the guide up save us searching it and i will find you a get out clause :)

Hi chaps, this maybe an amateur question however I'm just after a bit of clarity. How many of you guys apply self adhesive scrim to a plasterboard wall then plaster all joints, wait for the joints to go firm but not set then begin the plastering process ? Is this common procedure as I have worked with over 20 plasterers, some who make me embarrassed enough to even pick up a trowel yet I have never seen this done ??? Your thoughts ??

I used to use a similar method years ago as did every other spread cos you were using jute scrim but I personally have never used that process since I started using adhesive fiber tape.

To be honest flynnyman it says on the top of the guide

this document is a guide only and should not be read in isolation, I believe this means it should not be used against a certain incident or to set apart something.

ahhh i remember now
your ****** they have decided not to pay you and there is nothing you can do about it
unless you wanna get your hammer out

No mate, iv been paid, iv got another 1000sqm to finish on that job plus I start another 17k job for them on Monday. Having a bit of trouble with this perticular job and it feels they want to pin it on me. The contracts manager is saying it's my fault as iv not pre filled joints before plastering.

since self adhesive fiber tape has been out there is no need to go over your scrim with multi before you set the boards,, us old timers used to do this because we used to use cotton scrim which needed putting up with finish to make it stick,,, however having said that if the boards are tapered edge i will then fill the joins first just before i set the wall

I feel for you man
Cant you just bargain your way ooot of it?
I thought you said before that the stud was done wrong?

since self adhesive fiber tape has been out there is no need to go over your scrim with multi before you set the boards,, us old timers used to do this because we used to use cotton scrim which needed putting up with finish to make it stick,,, however having said that if the boards are tapered edge i will then fill the joins first just before i set the wall
Old timers :RpS_biggrin:

the contracts manager must be a knob,, how does he think pre filling the joints would have stopped this from happening,, surly he must be able to see the problem is caused by the fixers

Although the walls have been ripped to pieces by knauf reps I'm still having to redo walls for free in order to get my next job through the same company. Paying lads hotel petrol and labour to finish it is killing me.

Although the walls have been ripped to pieces by knauf reps I'm still having to redo walls for free in order to get my next job through the same company. Paying lads hotel petrol and labour to finish it is killing me.

Am I missing something why are the knauf reps involved.? If there using thistles guide to snag your work. Whats the actual spec?. Whose boards and finish are you using.

if you only had one spread on the job it might be harder to explain its not your fault but i seem to remember you saying there was 3 or 4 of you on the job,, the fact you have kept these lads must mean they are good spreads,, i am guessing its happening to everyone's work so how does the contracts manager think that 4 spreads would all have the same problem with their work unless the problem was with the walls

Iv explained this lee, I said I find it very difficult to believe that 4 spreads have instantly stopped paying attention to joints.

Knauf metal and board, British gypsum board finish skim. Knauf reps where involved before I even got on site, non staggering of boards, no flat strap at top of boards, not enough studs meeting top track, many many issues. Problem is there's 1000 Sqm left and I certainly ain't doing it twice again.

Status
Not open for further replies.