re-board droopy ceiling

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

worz

On the stairs end of the landing the ceiling droops down a bit, I'm going to be over-boarding and plastering it, basicallly it's where the huge heavy water tank was in the loft before we had a combi fitted recently.. so I think the weight of it has caused it to droop a bit, the tank is now gone.

Should I just over-board or is there any tricks to pull it back up a bit?

thanks in advance

It'll be a leak at some point that has caused it. Do as fats says or try screwing up into a joist and see if it'll pullback up.

Thanks guys, yeah it did leak years ago come to think of it.. if going down the pulling down route, how exactly would you sort the timbers? plane them down or actually change them? thanks

is it plasterboard ceiling of timber lathe??? if its timber lathe I would not be dropping it in my own house because the mess would be unbelievable...... leave it where it is and just counter baton it and buy some window packers and use a level to straighten...

If it's plasterboard, try screwing some 2x2 across the span of the sag first, if it pulls up flat bang aload of screws in then overboard. Take the 2x2 down first obviously.

IMG_0950_zps935cddc0.jpg

Thats it there guys, doesn't look that bad to be honest until you look hard.. maybe re-boarding will solve it..

If it was me ..I would just either screw it back up if its not to much to pull up... and overboard or cut it out and overboard.. many solutions opinions .. it is plasterboard ??

Last edited:
Go for it...and get some sugar soap to remove that big black circle:RpS_scared:..........:RpS_biggrin:

I'm curious is the taking down of lathe that bad that you just can't control the mess? I've done it with some walls, but I'd replaced the flooring as well and it was bloody awful but shut all doors, sheet everything up and burn out a hoover will do it right? Or does it just spread everywhere no matter what you do. I dug into a little ceiling to patch it and suspiciously nasty black muck was sheeting out like. Did builders of old just fill houses with muck or what?

I'm curious is the taking down of lathe that bad that you just can't control the mess? I've done it with some walls, but I'd replaced the flooring as well and it was bloody awful but shut all doors, sheet everything up and burn out a hoover will do it right? Or does it just spread everywhere no matter what you do. I dug into a little ceiling to patch it and suspiciously nasty black muck was sheeting out like. Did builders of old just fill houses with muck or what?

If it is a first floor room with no flooring in the loft it will more than likely have a layer of soot on there aswell. I learned this the hard way many many years ago "it's only a new loft hatch" luckily there were no carpets down at the time but, all the walls had to be washed and re decorated. Depending on what i am doing I have been known to go into the loft with a hoover before hand and hoover up there first which makes a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.