Sand and cement

Members online

theclemo

Private Member
I have a job i might have to do. They want sand and cement finished with a brush. I have never seen this or heard anything about it b4. As anyone ever did it.??

stipple finish, nice and quick. we do have a stipple brush for render looks like a large artex brush only with bristles not rubber.
there is another method were you can just tap the render with a grass brush, held flat against the render.

Last edited:
I have finished with a brush there are a few patterns you can achieve either with a wide rectangular head brush like a masonary/fence stain brush to get a stipple effect which you can get in diy or paint merchants, or with a wide paddle brush where you flog it at an angle to give a rockface effect usually done on plinths. Maybe look aroun on u tube ?

Where can I buy one mate. Do you have any pictures of the finish

i have not seen a plasterers stipple brush for sale in years, one may come up on ebay . you can borrow our one if you will send it back when you are finished with it.

the stipple is just patted to give an finish a cross between artex stipple and tyrolean.

the grass brush finish is just patted moving the brush at a different angle with each stroke, this finish is very common in essex because when the customer asks for a rendered finish the plasterer answers that i will give it a nice brush finish ! a grass brush should not be a problem to track down.

i have not seen a plasterers stipple brush for sale in years, one may come up on ebay . you can borrow our one if you will send it back when you are finished with it.

the stipple is just patted to give an finish a cross between artex stipple and tyrolean.

the grass brush finish is just patted moving the brush at a different angle with each stroke, this finish is very common in essex because when the customer asks for a rendered finish the plasterer answers that i will give it a nice brush finish ! a grass brush should not be a problem to track down.
Thanks for the offer. Am going to get them to show me what they actually want. I'll try eBay and see can I get my hands on one.

Is this it.

Screenshot_20160504-203132.png

no that is an artex brush, a plasterers stipple brush is bigger and has bristles about 2 inches in length.
the plasterer in the above video is using a block brush to do the same thing.

find out what the customer wants the tapped finish with a grass brush is very easy. both finishes are very quick and easy you just do not want the render to dry before you apply the finish.
before we had a stipple brush we would use either a soft or a stiff broom head just pat the render to give the required finish.

Stipple we used to use a stiffest broom head, if it's hit with a brush that is a double knotted grass brass loved doing that you can cover loads of meters but keep the same person hitting with the brush otherwise the effect looks different, if you need the grass one drop me a pm can send you it as got about 4

Can anyone show me a picture of the finish. Am doing float and set tomorrow I'll have a play with a wall.

I would spike my hair and bang head on the wall to get the same effect:muyenojado:. I've lost some of my hair now :(