Shaking house, will my render crack?

Members online

Laura Stevenson

Hi,
Apologies if this is not the correct place to post this. I have a 1970s house with upvc cladding which I was hoping to have ripped off and rendered. However the house backs onto a main road (it's just the front we want rendered) and the house does shake a fair bit. Is there any point on us going ahead or will it inevitably crack and be a waist of money? I really want it rendered as its so ugly!

Hi,
Apologies if this is not the correct place to post this. I have a 1970s house with upvc cladding which I was hoping to have ripped off and rendered. However the house backs onto a main road (it's just the front we want rendered) and the house does shake a fair bit. Is there any point on us going ahead or will it inevitably crack and be a waist of money? I really want it rendered as its so ugly!

Use a thin coat render system designed to go over timber frame builds
It'll be fairly flexible and will withstand a bit of movement for sure
How much does it shake like??!'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has a gentle vibrantion during most of the busy periods but every now and again if something big comes down the road it can shudder quite a lot.

It has a gentle vibrantion during most of the busy periods but every now and again if something big comes down the road it can shudder quite a lot.
Wow, that must take some getting used to it to live there then

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The two companies I have coming to quote use Weber, that's the monocouche right? Would that be the best option?
It's not that bad that it bothers us, probably not as bad as living near a train line but there are some small cracks on some of the plaster work on the ceilings which I was told was from the movement of the house. So I have panicked and thought would that happen outside too?!

The two companies I have coming to quote use Weber, that's the monocouche right? Would that be the best option?
It's not that bad that it bothers us, probably not as bad as living near a train line but there are some small cracks on some of the plaster work on the ceilings which I was told was from the movement of the house. So I have panicked and thought would that happen outside too?!
Me personally think weber is a good choice the cracks inside the house are from the structure moving slightly over time which is normal for most houses .. Only a few mm each year creates hair line cracks inside I very much doubt the render weber will have any problems at all.

Me personally think weber is a good choice the cracks inside the house are from the structure moving slightly over time which is normal for most houses .. Only a few mm each year creates hair line cracks inside I very much doubt the render weber will have any problems at all.
Stay away from sand & cement and mono!!
Thin coat render system all day long!!!

Stay away from sand & cement and mono!!
Thin coat render system all day long!!!

Any particular reason you think that is better bobby, the op said timber cladding being ripped off ,I'm presuming it's brick built house.Nothing wrong with weber

If there movement as there sounds like there is it'll crack to f**k
Thin coat renders are flexible to a certain extent
Full mesh through and it should be fine

If there movement as there sounds like there is it'll crack to f**k
Thin coat renders are flexible to a certain extent
Full mesh through and it should be fine

Fair enough ,no pictures as of yet ,I'm presuming if it was built in 70s ,cracks in the inside just normal from any house so basically you think a weber mono full mesh would crack.. So what would anyone of done to render this house before thincoat systems were use in u.k.. All I'm thinking is there 2 poor plasterers going to quote this job and now op is going to have had the shitters put up them if they say they won't or dont do thincoat just don't seem like best advice to be giving if I'm honest

Fair enough ,no pictures as of yet ,I'm presuming if it was built in 70s ,cracks in the inside just normal from any house so basically you think a weber mono full mesh would crack.. So what would anyone of done to render this house before thincoat systems were use in u.k.. All I'm thinking is there 2 poor plasterers going to quote this job and now op is going to have had the shitters put up them if they say they won't or dont do thincoat just don't seem like best advice to be giving if I'm honest
The advice Bobby is giving is spot on weber will crack

Because mono is a very friable material it cracks and you can mesh all you like it will i have it on my back extension base coated fully meshed top coat mono and i meshed that aswell crack by bathroom window which is small and never really gets opened

Because mono is a very friable material it cracks and you can mesh all you like it will i have it on my back extension base coated fully meshed top coat mono and i meshed that aswell crack by bathroom window which is small and never really gets opened

That's not down necessarily to the render though is it truthfully? Almost any movement of the substrate/structure is greater than the strength of the render it will crack any type of finish put on it no matter what you use.

Granted some materials may be more flexible but you still put a heavy base coat on the wall at least 10mm probably more on older properties with wonky walls. The base coat will be meshed but will still be cement based even if it's high polymer.

To the OP........ As long as all possible precautions are taken then there is little you'll do to stop the movement of the building creating problems in the render.

To be honest, until the cladding is removed it's hard to tell what the best possible option is.
Can you be certain it's building 'shaking' as you say and not just the cladding which could be quite loose and poorly fixed?

All the best with your project and get as many opinions as you feel necessary. Make sure who ever you use is recommended and reputable. Check out there work and get references. You shouldn't go far wrong that way.

That's not down necessarily to the render though is it truthfully? Almost any movement of the substrate/structure is greater than the strength of the render it will crack any type of finish put on it no matter what you use.

Granted some materials may be more flexible but you still put a heavy base coat on the wall at least 10mm probably more on older properties with wonky walls. The base coat will be meshed but will still be cement based even if it's high polymer.

To the OP........ As long as all possible precautions are taken then there is little you'll do to stop the movement of the building creating problems in the render.

To be honest, until the cladding is removed it's hard to tell what the best possible option is.
Can you be certain it's building 'shaking' as you say and not just the cladding which could be quite loose and poorly fixed?

All the best with your project and get as many opinions as you feel necessary. Make sure who ever you use is recommended and reputable. Check out there work and get references. You shouldn't go far wrong that way.

Thanks for the replies if I am wrong I would happily admit it and say fair do's.
New to the monocouche myself and am honest enough to say I not used thin coat systems.
Always on the render threads see people have there favourite render system of choice just makes for an all round better read if it's spoken about tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE that's what i said if you read it

I don't think we're getting the full story here, I think it's activities inside the house that's causing the shaking ;)