Single skin blockwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselpower

Looking for a wee bit of advice, builder friend has asked me to do a job, reluctantly agreed to it as to busy but anyway.
He has a couple who are selling(have sold actually) their house, anyway the side wall of their conservatory is pissin water in, it's only single block then dry dash finish, on inside its wooden straps then plasterboard.
Told them there's 2 options but can't guarantee either, 1- chip off, scratch coat then come back and top coat or, 2- put a silicone dash receiver over existing Skye marble and hit again, bish,bash,bosh job done.

P.s, definitely coming through the roughcast that's there,checked everything else, don't want to touch it but !!

Scratch and rub up outside with normal Sika w/proofer in both coats. Render inside using sovereign w/proofer and skim. Bib and braces, put membrane under furrings on inside and line with vapour shield board over internal render

Cheers for the replys.. Found the problem, whoever done it put a pishy weak coat(bout 5mm thick) of snowcrete/white sand straight onto the blockwork then hit it with Skye marble, no scratch or feck all!

So chipped it off, sbr/cement slurry and scratched it, will finish it next week..

Just looked at a job tonight, it's an extension to a garage and the guys spent a bit on a steel frame with a super insulated roof, however his pal has just built a single skin of blockwork round it ( no not me) and surprisingly enough on the side that gets most weather the blocks are getting soaked and the water is coming straight through which is causing condensation which is killing his collection of cars!
Anyway, he wants the cheapest way to rectify this so I have said to him I could scratch coat blockwork, then top coat and wet dash roughcast, then if needed a silicone waterproofer before painting..
Do you guys think that will stop ingress of water? Any other suggestions welcome apart from knocking it down and building it properly... Thanks in advance..

Thanks for reply guys, yeah was gonna put waterproofer in both coats, what do you mean with the sbr rigsby? Was initially gonna seal blockwork with sbr/ cement mix but figured waterproofer through mix would be good enough? Thanks again..

yes that should be enough and has always worked for. But a sbr/cement slurry is a tanking solution as well.

Warn him him though that with it being a waterproofed single skin wall he might get condensation settle on this wall and still be damp.

batten and clad the oootside

Cheers jessop, suggested that to him over phone but when I looked last night he's not got enough overhang at eaves to bring gutters out any.. Plus, handy wee job for me if temps stay like this, 10.5 degrees yesterday so managed about 80m2 of dry dash, pity about daylight but unreal for this time of year..
Thanks again for help..always good to hear others thoughts..

Status
Not open for further replies.