Skimming on top SBR

Members online

Well every day is a school day I guess ....... All them years making sure it's still tacky hmmm could of been thinking about something else instead lol

I use to waste hours waiting now I just lash it on and go and do the whole load of PVA'ing then go back and start skimming :D

Yup sika latex I used in pool few years back that was then being painted . Still good now.
I also make my own slurry with it adding sand and cement works great.

Good call, I'd forgotten about that. A landscaping company we used to sub to used it to make up their own tanking slurry for small jobs like little ornamental ponds or the back of little retaining walls for beds. Basically anywhere that didn't justify buying 25kg bags, but the small amounts of pre-mixed slurry were very dear.

Pva a bit of a wall..let it dry then brush a bit of water on it... You'll see it becomes tack again @Natwasere (y)...
Sbr doesn't.

Yes, so would conclude that plastering onto dry pva is ok, dry sbr not. However, mixing kiln dried into sbr and letting it dry would be ok as this is effectively pre-grit?

I always throw bit cement in helps all and can see clearly where been although clients often comment looking like dungeon pre plastering.

At least they're prepared for when you get the gimp mask on then.
IMG_0891.JPG

Ive been using Bondit a lot recently and i dunno , i think its a bit of a con.
Firstly its messy and needs 24hrs to dry.
Then its needs mixed as the grit sinks to the bottom
Then you hit the ceiling with it or a dead wall.
ive also noticed it peeling a bit , if i poke at it , it will peel off.
Also it makes the skim slide about? Isnt that what its supposed to stop? if its real heavy it slides more than PVA would.

I dunno , it is great for skimming over most of the time but its price vs simple PVA , i think its a bit of a con

Ive been using Bondit a lot recently and i dunno , i think its a bit of a con.
Firstly its messy and needs 24hrs to dry.
Then its needs mixed as the grit sinks to the bottom
Then you hit the ceiling with it or a dead wall.
ive also noticed it peeling a bit , if i poke at it , it will peel off.
Also it makes the skim slide about? Isnt that what its supposed to stop? if its real heavy it slides more than PVA would.

I dunno , it is great for skimming over most of the time but its price vs simple PVA , i think its a bit of a con

Yes, the peel thing has concerned me in the past.

Yeah its weird , i imagine it all coming off in a big slab with the weight of the skim.
Doesnt inspire confidence thats for sure.

Depends what surface I find, but I've always gone over it and never had a call back, have crossed my fingers a couple of times though. Part of the reason I went back to pva after some on here saying going on dry is fine, such a great product pva. If you kiln dry it and let it set and then compare it to bond-it, I think it's much stronger. Cementone green grit is my fave if I do use it though as the grit doesn't sink, no stirring.

I haven't bought any for ages but I used to get blue grit delivered off eBay for £20. This made it almost as cheap as pva. The tubs were always about 60mm from the top. So I filled them with sbr to water down the grit. I found it made it roller on easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah its weird , i imagine it all coming off in a big slab with the weight of the skim.
Doesnt inspire confidence thats for sure.
Are you mixing PVA with it? I used to to stretch it and this is what I think brings it alive when there is moisture in the room. The stuff I've used lately I didn't mix with PVA and noticed the difference.

No, just a quick whirr with a paint mixer and roller it on, although I've a good masonry paint brush and ive been using that recently , less mess of it pinging back at me and can do the angles.
Ive a full tub here and am only using it on bathroom paint etc.
Back to old school Pva.