Skimming over Artex?

Members online

How much bonding would you put in a mix? Say if you put a bag of mukti how much donding would you add?

I just price to bonding agent, bond and then skim. If they don't want it done that way then feck em.
Bonding plaster as undercoat is far superior,,, to multi only on artex in my opinion,,,,obliterates pattern better.
Yes I know multi does job but.

Do you put a bit of cement in to make it set fast or just hang around for it to dry up a bit
a bit of variables on this one.
I add around half a gauger worth of lime to around 7.5 ltrs of water.then mix with grey bonding plaster.. if the mix is larger adjust.
The thing is if you use that pinkish bonding it sets like a rocket in mins. Hard to control.
It depends what one.
No issues,takes about 45 mins to set.
The more lime the quicker it goes but then you weaken bonding I wouldn't recommend that.

2 big heaped brimming bucket trowels per bag of skim...if really realy heavy artex work or walls with chases and holes, tile Addy residue etc upto 4 max 1st coat only
Might give that a go, ive heard it on here a few times but not tried it and I got a few coming up on ceilings with not to heavy stipple.

Might give that a go, ive heard it on here a few times but not tried it and I got a few coming up on ceilings with not to heavy stipple.

Its worth doing mate 100% I asked the question about 2 years ago and @zombie told me the technique its just like laying on slightly thicker skim, as soon as you run your second coat over (skim only) its heavenly no sweat.

Just finished one today. Got the tip from here also like a lot of others!

I always do it now when the customer wants it skimming over.

Said it before and I'll say it again on all refurb work with walls with chases. Skirts removed, artex, flakey paint, bits of wallpaper residue, tile adhesive etc etc...

1 bag of multi to 2 big scoops of bonding per bag for 1st ciat then 2nc coat as normal...

I've not gone around and backfilled with backing coat alone before 2 coat of skimming for over 15yrs....

Takes a massive chunk of prep work out of the job...me and my lad used to do 5 kitchens a week for a firm with this approach plus bathrooms and full refurbs for a property developer...all high end work

Said it before and I'll say it again on all refurb work with walls with chases. Skirts removed, artex, flakey paint, bits of wallpaper residue, tile adhesive etc etc...

1 bag of multi to 2 big scoops of bonding per bag for 1st ciat then 2nc coat as normal...

I've not gone around and backfilled with backing coat alone before 2 coat of skimming for over 15yrs....

Takes a massive chunk of prep work out of the job...me and my lad used to do 5 kitchens a week for a firm with this approach plus bathrooms and full refurbs for a property developer...all high end work
Sounds clever that, especially for the bits of wallpaper, spend probably an hour on every job getting rid of all little bits of backing paper that have been missed.

Bonding 60 would come in on these jobs, i dont like using too much in the first coat cos of blistering on final coat.
Bonding 60 will only work if price point is correct.

If it's considerably more expensive than current bonding why buy it when I can already make it set in less than 60.
They made mistake with uni price, though I think it's b*ll***s anyway.

Bonding 60 will only work if price point is correct.

If it's considerably more expensive than current bonding why buy it when I can already make it set in less than 60.
They made mistake with uni price, though I think it's b*ll***s anyway.

I agree on the bonding i wouldnt pay any extra.

Going over artex this morning small ceiling. I offered to board over existing, and said my concerns over content. Late 80s, and the artex is thin with the odd peaks to knock back. Ill hold a bucket under what needs to be scrape back, and stick a mask on. No rush just go quietly, and disturb as little as possible.

I always tell them the risks involved, and not just the content, but ive never had an artex ceiling fail or give me any particular problems. I dont use no bonding, but try, and get the prep spot on.

Going over artex this morning small ceiling. I offered to board over existing, and said my concerns over content. Late 80s, and the artex is thin with the odd peaks to knock back. Ill hold a bucket under what needs to be scrape back, and stick a mask on. No rush just go quietly, and disturb as little as possible.

I always tell them the risks involved, and not just the content, but ive never had an artex ceiling fail or give me any particular problems. I dont use no bonding, but try, and get the prep spot on.
Thing with that overboard is then you need to tape angles,come back sand down unless cove,,,then wee ceiling has turned into bigger job.yes overboard is way to go in ideal world but up here I would be under if I suggest overboard every artex ceiling.

No need to tape angles into wall just up to wall at worse just advise thin bead of decorators cork when decorating!

Plastering quickly turns to crypton factor on this place!

What do you guys say to a customer that has artex on walls,,rip it down, overboard, new skirting,checks etc,,
Why treat artex on a ceiling any different to walls.
Don't hit me with gravity.;)

Reactions: Pug
What do you guys say to a customer that has artex on walls,,rip it down, overboard, new skirting,checks etc,,
Yes in that order and I throw at them a new kitchen or bathroom idea quickly as well

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Gravity plus foot traffic if downstairs ceiling...

But yeah don't disagree judge each job on merit....BUT ALWAYS advise best practiceciscyo board but offer price for both and letvthem make can informed decision albeit that they then take full responsibility....

Obviously if its lat and lathe always overboard or don't do the job period!

Lath,ceilings are always kicked into customers hands.it's the plasterboard ceilings that are artexed I'm on about.

Just finished one today. Got the tip from here also like a lot of others!

I always do it now when the customer wants it skimming over.

Finished a small kitchen one over artex today aswell. I give it a pva day before, and on the day. Multi on both coats. First filled out ok then second flew on, but it picked up faster than i thought it would. I wasn't dragging my feet either. Ill try the bonding like others have suggested next time.

Ooh ahh yeh got two bags went out date on the 1st of this month £5 specials for a artex ceiling tomoz not heavy pattern n chuck handfuls of bonding or 2 carry over pattern a bit easier

Not being funny all this pissing around boarding, pva ing,
Stuff that.
:birra:

It ain't no better job any way..

Mad the lot of ya.:hola:

Not being funny all this pissing around boarding, pva ing,
Stuff that.
:birra:

It ain't no better job any way..

Mad the lot of ya.:hola:
I know u love the gear,,,why are the majority of spreads not buying it.
Most have tried it.
Videos are last ditch attempts to promote the stuff.
I'm thinking should I give it another chance for the fifth time.

I know u love the gear,,,why are the majority of spreads not buying it.
Most have tried it.
Videos are last ditch attempts to promote the stuff.
I'm thinking should I give it another chance for the fifth time.

It's not a last ditch mate ..tbh it been 2 years which probably isn't that long to be fair plus all the ding dong with mark 1 .Think it's hard to show things in a video, it's not just people on here that don't buy it even my mate doesn't he refuses to pay the £12 at Bnq.imo that's the problem £5/£5.50 it would be sold .fair enough high suction is always going to be crazy quick time to use it on or the 3 c rule (let's not go there) but I can remember therma boards say 8 -10 year ago I was saying myself I ain't using them but now it's totally different story , people ask for them and they are cheaper plus the benefit of them is more widely known.
I'd say stick to the painted surfaces if you do have another shot with it and maybe over the artex get that first coat on thick enough to cover but swoosh it in tight , that's the only thing I can think to why your previous goes with it lasted longer than normal.

I was only pulling leg on overboard as well if it's thick artex or caput ceiling under artex but if I honest most artex I do over skim with uni even though the zombie trick is good idea , I don't bother I just bang it on thick and stiff instead but that's me we are all different.
Note wrong with that.

I don't get how people think it's too expensive it's only and extra £6 over a 10m2 area, if you can't add that into your price there's something wrong. Exterior guys are all happy using prebagged renders which cost alot more than traditional sand and cement

Can't find it in my town. 4 big builders merchants and 3 diy stores. None of them stock it. I'd use it if I could get hold of some. Don't have the volume of work or anywhere to store a pallet load.

I am the same mate. would use it if it was available, only jewsons and b&q stocked it but it never sold. initially it wasn't advertised until it was out of date