slight play in plasterboard join

Status
Not open for further replies.

worz

I boarded an oddly laid out stud wall, having finished this I noticed in some parts where the boards join, there is a bit of play when pressed as there is no joist behind that part.. it's only slight

Will skimming the wall strengthen it or should I take the boards off and add a joist in there? i worry that once skimmed if you leant on that part it might crack..

Thanks in advance

If it cracks,your going back. Better safe than sorry do as kgreigh suggested :RpS_biggrin:

Boards should always finish on a stud if it doesn't work out to full boards and theres too much wastage on cuts id resi bar it then pass the cost on to whoever set the stud out.

shame you did not think of this before you boarded it, what did you think would happen to the joins with no timber behind them ?

shame you did not think of this before you boarded it, what did you think would happen to the joins with no timber behind them ?

It's hard to explain, it's not like a full on flimsy board.. it's maybe a few mm when you press hard in a certain area. At the time I thought the other joists would provide enough support, and they actually might but having checked it now I have doubt, hence the thread and hence me sticking a joist in there to be safe..

It's hard to explain, it's not like a full on flimsy board.. it's maybe a few mm when you press hard in a certain area. At the time I thought the other joists would provide enough support, and they actually might but having checked it now I have doubt, hence the thread and hence me sticking a joist in there to be safe..
ok mate, better safe than sorry, your doing the right thing sorting it out before you set it, always best to make sure every join has a nogin behind it,

ok mate, better safe than sorry, your doing the right thing sorting it out before you set it, always best to make sure every join has a nogin behind it,

Cheers, will 100% add the nogin in. It's only very very slight as I think stevie wonder set the joists out on this wall, but as you said best to do it before plastering

Status
Not open for further replies.