Sound proofing recessed window, (plasterboard sheets?) - please help.

Members online

danton133

I want to sound proof a bedroom window from loud road noise as much as possible (I don't need to see through the window).

Sound is not really coming through the walls since they are thick stone (it's an old building).

Window is about 1.2 meters square, and has a 0.5 meter interior recess.

Solutions would need to be temporary/removable.

From the research I've done possible options include; drywall/plasterboard or OSB board cut to the size of the recess and stuffed in, or acoustic/sound blocking blanket (with mass loaded vynl) draped over the window or fitted to the interior wall and covering the recess.

I'm drawn to the drywall option, using multiple layers, but I've read it requires insulation foam between the layers to work, I can't see how this would be possible though and hoped I could just use multiple layers (3, 4 or more?). Also I'd read it's not great for low frequency road noise, this true?

My budget is around £150.

cheaper to just gag 'em pal

fox broadcasting GIF by ScreamQueens

I want to sound proof a bedroom window from loud road noise as much as possible (I don't need to see through the window).

Sound is not really coming through the walls since they are thick stone (it's an old building).

Window is about 1.2 meters square, and has a 0.5 meter interior recess.

Solutions would need to be temporary/removable.

From the research I've done possible options include; drywall/plasterboard or OSB board cut to the size of the recess and stuffed in, or acoustic/sound blocking blanket (with mass loaded vynl) draped over the window or fitted to the interior wall and covering the recess.

I'm drawn to the drywall option, using multiple layers, but I've read it requires insulation foam between the layers to work, I can't see how this would be possible though and hoped I could just use multiple layers (3, 4 or more?). Also I'd read it's not great for low frequency road noise, this true?

My budget is around £150.
foam satisfying GIF