Vertical scratch

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
agree 100% with simplythebest.the longer you leave the scratch coat the better,it allows the scratch coat to move and shrink, and then hopefully with a weaker top coat it anymore movement will be more forgiving. if it cracks arfter that at least you know youve done all you can to reduce it.

Last edited:
Just to resurrect an old thread, heres a couple of pics so ya know what I'm on about :RpS_thumbup:

2012-10-19143804_zps772c5f02.jpg

2012-10-19143759_zps075d8fa0.jpg

I never leave my scratch 2 weeks or go back and wet it down day after day. It's like bell metal and doesn't crack unless the wind or sun hits it.

I was told to do wavey lines because its better on the eye than straight... if you do straight lines it can make the building look pissed....lol

Each to their own hey...lol
Aha...then that would explain the vertical scratches...its a house thats been tiped up:RpS_blushing:

Reasons I've been told for vert scratch, is to let rain water run off?reduces cracking? And the best one was... Because brickwork is built horizontally, you should scratch vert?? Lol:RpS_lol::RpS_scared:

still do know why its called the " I love man " scratch..................:RpS_confused:

A nice wavy scratch is a sign of a good wrist action... And I have one living with our lass :rolleyes)

I always go across except in the angles where I'll do a vertical one. I have wondered if you do a heavy scratch pattern it'll show through into he top coat as it dries (could be interesting :RpS_cool:)

its done wavy to stager the top coat sitting on the scratches, helps to reduce cracking along a single fault line and structure.

Not buying it, when render cracks the direction of the crack has feck all to do with whether it's scratched wavy or straight.

Not buying it, when render cracks the direction of the crack has feck all to do with whether it's scratched wavy or straight.

you dont get it, the scratch coat its self helps to solid up the back ground and the wavy gives less chance of a crack following a straight line in say the mortor joint etc. plus its a key for the top obviously.

Rubbish, if the substrate decides it wants to crack then a wavey scratch wont stop it. Render is brittle as fook, it will just crack whatever pattern you put in the scratch.

Pin an pole!!! That's a blast from the plast !!! Health safety would go nuts. lol.....:RpS_lol:

I hacked a job off last 2 days and the scratch underneath was vertical

the render mix was about 2-1 too and like friggin granite - barstewards

Status
Not open for further replies.