Not open for further replies.

dodgy01

i have a 1960s house and every wall needs re plastering as they are all un even
the walls are very wavey as you run your hands over them
i am a very compitent diy er and a electrician by trade
i can not afford the cost of having every wall re plastered so
i am considering doing a 5day plastering course to get me started
my question is
i understand how to plaster a dry lined wall that is flat but hoe do i plaster a very wavey wall to get it flat and level

many thanks
darren

depends how bad the walls are and how competant you are. if you can dot & Dab this would be one or the easier ways to get the walls plumb and flat or frame the walls out and screw the boards on. then scim them. a 5 day course is only going to get you to patch walls to a reasonable standard not scimming a whole house.

Hi the walls would need to have a couple of coats of PVA, then a tight coat of bonding, which is ruled off flat with a straight edge.
Then skimmed in the usual way.

ok
the course is with gold trowell and about 350
i believe that i would be able to do it ,i rendered my out building to quite a good standard and did a conservatory wall awsel
could you please axplain how to straighten the walls with a ruls please
thanks
darren

lol post some pics you either want to use bonding coat and rule it off or dab them if there really really bad dab them tight if you're confident and tape joint them

they are not really really bad but you can feel them if you run your hand over the walls

when you say rule it off do i apply bonding coat with a float type trowell then pull it back with a straight edge
or have i totally got it arse about face

how good is the existing plaster, the substrate? Might be worth hacking it off altogether.

You could do a course and then try and start off slowly, plastering a wall a day for instance. You'll have to learn to live with a lot of disruption for a long, long time. Doing a whole house straight from a course might put you off plastering for life or you might take to it like a duck to water.

Just being honest mate

Show us some pics of you're missus tits first

If You insist, HugeTits01.jpg

350 on a course. could u not ask a plasterer how much work he would do in your house for 350. and if he will let u labour 4 him and show u how to do a room. that way u will see what u need 2 do the tools u need and some of the house skimmed .

I prefer a featheredge, although you really need two or even three. You can saw up a smaller one to fit in awkward areas.

have a really good read of this forum

350 on a course. could u not ask a plasterer how much work he would do in your house for 350. and if he will let u labour 4 him and show u how to do a room. that way u will see what u need 2 do the tools u need and some of the house skimmed .

think if I was doing a one to one it'd be different rates

i did not think of that
mmmmm
thanks for the input

funny how no one is taking the piss out of the course now you know its goldtrowel

knock all the old plaster off and get it boarded, i take it you will be living in it after it is done, if ya renting it, well sod it use it for practicing on

funny how no one is taking the piss out of the course now you know its goldtrowel

knock all the old plaster off and get it boarded, i take it you will be living in it after it is done, if ya renting it, well sod it use it for practicing on

Whats good about gold trowel?

Dodgy have a go buy the straight edge in you're link and see how you get on go on the course if you want it's you're money good luck, where are you based by the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.