Want to have a go at venetian

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niro06

Help please!
just want to try venetian (marble) plastering on a couple of boards as it looks quite interesting, just been on the decorative plastering website looking at materials and dont really know which to buy, so could someone give me a list including materials tools etc I would need, as i say only to try on a board or 2 i will scrap afterwards so only need enough for a couple of meters.
Thanks

Hi there, can't help myself sorry but have you tried using the search at the top right of the page. You'll find loads of discussions there about everything

I have just bought some gear to try same as you never done it before had a couple of 4ft/4ft boards to test on then going to do a wall in my house I got some primer, 8kg marmorino classic had to mix colour in myself some wax all enough to do a 10 metres
a small trowel from them and a spatula cost about £150 for the lot delivered watched loads on you tube ,did my test panel with 3 coats and looks good

go to polished plastering company and you will find that there gear is already coloured for you. They dont sell too many different products so not too confusing. Get some primer and maybe three or four of the finishes mix them up thoroughly an hour before use and experiment.

I have just bought some gear to try same as you never done it before had a couple of 4ft/4ft boards to test on then going to do a wall in my house I got some primer, 8kg marmorino classic had to mix colour in myself some wax all enough to do a 10 metres
a small trowel from them and a spatula cost about £150 for the lot delivered watched loads on you tube ,did my test panel with 3 coats and looks good
your a bit quicker off the mark than me i aint ordered out yet

Bought some materials to have a go, just one question can i use classic as a base coat or do i need carrera? (as this is how its done on the decorative plastering dvd) again just messing on some boards so will it work ok all done in classic?

Bought some materials to have a go, just one question can i use classic as a base coat or do i need carrera? (as this is how its done on the decorative plastering dvd) again just messing on some boards so will it work ok all done in classic?

Whatever surface you are going onto you need to prime it first. Two main types of primer are a resin based smooth primer or a gritty primer. If you use the gritty primer you will be able to undercoat with classic. If you use the resin primer you will need to undercoat with carrara to provide a key for the classic. Two coats of carrara (the second one being applied homogeneously to the dry first coat will give you a really smooth finish) are ideal

Whatever surface you are going onto you need to prime it first. Two main types of primer are a resin based smooth primer or a gritty primer. If you use the gritty primer you will be able to undercoat with classic. If you use the resin primer you will need to undercoat with carrara to provide a key for the classic. Two coats of carrara (the second one being applied homogeneously to the dry first coat will give you a really smooth finish) are ideal

Its the resin primer i have, so just to clarify classic will not stick well to this? I understand that doing the job properly i would need to use carrera as a base coat for this reason but will it give me a feel for the materials if all done in classic. (not bothered if its falls off a couple of days later lol)

The thing with cararra is that when two coated wet on dry it makes the surface nice and flat to receive the classic first coat but not smooth. As you layer up the various coats the plaster gets flatter and flatter. Its worth a try but wont really give you the idea of how its done. The easiest way to be honest is to do a good course with someone like Gold Trowel or polished plaster company. They have all the tools, facilities, materials and knowledge to get you into good habits from the beginning. Good luck buddy!!!

The thing with cararra is that when two coated wet on dry it makes the surface nice and flat to receive the classic first coat but not smooth. As you layer up the various coats the plaster gets flatter and flatter. Its worth a try but wont really give you the idea of how its done. The easiest way to be honest is to do a good course with someone like Gold Trowel or polished plaster company. They have all the tools, facilities, materials and knowledge to get you into good habits from the beginning. Good luck buddy!!!

Thanks, I'll buy some carrera and give it a go but think i will also look at doing a course.

Status
Not open for further replies.