Wet dash on ICF

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc33033

Hi, I have self built an ICF house in the outer hebrides and am looking to now get it rendered - I've looked at loads of different finishes and although I was originally wanting a flat finish I'm now thinking that I'd prefer a wet dash.

Now there have been quite a few houses locally that have had EWI and these all seem to have had a dry dash finish, the schools with EWI locally have all had flat finishes.

What options do I have for a wet dash finish on top of the polystrene? K-Rend I have found do a wet dash product and it looks like Wetherby do one as well which appears suitable. Does anyone have any experience of either of these products or suggest any other suppliers? Any potential problems to highlight?

Thanks.

Been around the Hebrides and seen a few different builds. Krends kdash is popular but you need look no further than enewall they have a great wetdash being Scottish n all roughcast is their forte.
Seen the wetdash system on Skye, Harris/lewis, uist. You can have anything you want really.

Thanks guys for both replies, I have got in touch with both Weber and Enewall for samples and pricing, Enewall seems to be on the ball and quick to respond will wait and see what the samples look like.

The sample of wetdash will look nothing g like what you get. Every hand that harls wet casting will be different.

You need the applicator to do a test panel for you.

I have the samples here they look nothing like the finished article but give you an idea of the system build up.

Just had the rep from Weber onsite this afternoon as he was on the island doing a training course today. He's telling me I should not go for a wet dash product as they will not guarantee that it will hold and says others who offer this for installation onto insulation have suffered badly when the weight of the dash has pulled away from the wall. He's going to send me a spec for their acrylic finishes instead. The Weber rep seemed to have been around the external insulation scene for a good few years so I don't want to discount his advice but is this really a big problem with dash finishes? All the dashes I have seen done locally are dry dash, and these are all new jobs so can't really tell long term.

The ICF the render is going onto is high density extruded polystyrene which has lines cut in specially to help the render adhere, I would have thought it much better in this regard than most others.

Never heard of that crock before. We are currently installing a weber spec and I have to admit I have been less than impressed with them.

The grooves in the EPs on the icf block are not for render adhesion. Someone has told you that because they prob thought it sounds good.

You whole house will need a full rasp with an insulation rasping plane.

This will aid key. The hi polymer base adhesive will bond immensely onto the eps. The wetdash will bond to that immensely and the Wight overall at 20mm will not be a problem if using enewall.

Perhaps weber don't have such a dedicated product. I never seen them promote it ever and it sounds like they may just not want to lose the sale. They ain't known for wetdash. Enewall and kdash are designed for purpose and that base adhesive is very very sticky more so than weber lac base coat.

Sounds to me you have not been informed impartially. Get the sample from enewall see for yourself.
Seen plenty of it stuck like sh1t to a blanket.

I'm on Lewis JFE if you fancy a wee trip! Thanks for your input, good to hear that the enewall stuff is stickier than the weber, that would explain why he was going on about delaminating. I was planning on the rasping - the surface is a bit dusty with the UV. Enewall are due to send me a sample any day, I'm going to ask them for a enough materials for a panel of the specific ICF to be done onsite first.

The UV eats EPs. Make sure it has a good old rasp. Your arms will grow an inch wider after, its a graft rasping. Get your base on within 2days of rasping. Go bang on a few doors the proof is in the pudding. Plenty up there.

Must be Nice to be able to nip to luskintyre for the day.......

Last edited:
Luskentyre is on hold for a year till I finish this :)

Expect to hear reports of snowing on Lewis in a few weeks time once the rasp is broken out!

Status
Not open for further replies.