1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

What is this horizontal moulding and how do I replicate it?

Discussion in 'DIY Plastering - Plastering Help - DIY Plastering ' started by FogWatch, Nov 13, 2017.

1. FogWatch

FogWatch New Member

I have a 1920s brick house that has an internal lime render. The kitchen had a fireplace, but this has been removed. Where it was needs rendering. Around the room at about 1.5m there is an 85mm horizontal moulding.

There is enough information around for me to have a crack at the rendering. But, I've got the wobbles about the moulding. Does the moulding have a name, and are there descriptions anywhere as to how to make one?

Cheers. site.jpg
    match.jpg cross1.jpg cross2.jpg

2. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

Just use a piece of timber there is no detail on it I would rip it off to be fair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FogWatch

FogWatch New Member

One of things I was wondering about was whether it needs to be constructed of anything in particular owing to the surface being proud and prone to knocks?

4. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

Timber would be fine but I would remove the lot, skim the walls completely thenreplace with a nicer detailed one if you wanted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Marshy

Marshy Private Member

Looks it was ran in situ too? Basic cement moulds were like that at college. Had to be as the sand lime mix we used was used over and over again. Quality was shite

6. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

Remember it well :) I'm running a cornice in today so all them years of training payed off :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Marshy

Marshy Private Member

Put some pics up mate

8. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

See how it turns out first ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Marshy

Marshy Private Member

Come on you know your stuff pal

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ajax123

Ajax123 Member

Based on pics 2 and 3 it looks like you'e already matched it....

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. malc

malc Private Member

your real problem is the soot on the brickwork !

12. beader

beader Private Member

Watered down cow poo is your solution.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

It's been run in. You find the French still do it as a local hotel got running coving that's about 600mm deep. They use various guides of different shapes and sizes to run along plaster to build up to the finished shape. You can do the same or use wood. Most coving was run in on older properties and so was the picture rails ect

• Like Like x 1