what was your most challenging project

Status
Not open for further replies.
what was that project that really made you think hard?

I did a barn conversion and it was a huge headache everything was done in teh wrong order and generally was a ballache but it all came out ok in the end.

customers make projects harder... had to reskim a whole 5 bed house after they fitted new flooring throughout that was a challenge

The most challenging stuff is normally made stuff that should be easy. Going around fitted kitchens etc, when you should have been in first.

This one tested my patience.

Attachments

• what was your most challenging project
    image.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 429
This one tested my patience.

That is a cracking job! Fair play to you. Mono?
How long ago was that? I'd think that will stain easily with all the quoins and Ashlar being the worst place to catch the water.
Would the sealers weber etc sell stop that from happening?

That is a cracking job! Fair play to you. Mono?
How long ago was that? I'd think that will stain easily with all the quoins and Ashlar being the worst place to catch the water.
Would the sealers weber etc sell stop that from happening?
No all done using sand & cement hand applied last year.it probably will stain although it's not my problem!!
Lost a load of dosh as it took 6 weeks longer than antisapated but the end results are superb.

No all done using sand & cement hand applied last year.it probably will stain although it's not my problem!!
Lost a load of dosh as it took 6 weeks longer than antisapated but the end results are superb.

6 weeks longer... how do you justify that? What did everything take longer than planned?

on a more serious note ---- every day is challenging working with people with behavioral problems and that's just the managers:inocente::lol:

Long story dan.me underestimating the job and architects adding on details that wasn't on the plans

Underestimating is your fault unfortunately, but when the architect adds something to the plans you have to be able to add something to the price.

Back in the mid 80's my Dads company took on the largest stucco job ever done in Alaska, eight month long project. It was a large middle school in Anchorage, we had to lath over heavy gauge metal studs and stucco all the outside walls, inside hallway walls & ceilings, and gymnasium walls, and they also had an inside rifle range & we did all those walls and ceilings. We got started over two months late, the job was behind because everything was getting built on 'tundra' permanently frozen ground and the company that did the dirt work went bankrupt on the job. We started in August which was still good weather. We couldn't bring most of the crew up there because of Union interference we had to hire most labor out of their jurisdiction. They would send us concrete finishers to do plaster's work, we had to train them to get the job done, same with most of the lathers. We probably had around 16 people working on the job. Materials had to be ordered up to 6 weeks ahead of time because they came up from Seattle on barges. Our estimator had figured all those outside and inside walls but the lazy ass missed the interior suspended stucco ceilings. I was running the plaster crew and there was another guy running the lathing crew and my Dad was only up there for two months to get it all going. We should have been done on the outside before the cold winter hit but everybody started two months late. That meant that we had to cover and heat EVERYTHING even the loads of plaster sand. The lather foreman quit as soon as the winter hit and headed back to Seattle and my Dad had to go back down so I ended up the Superintendent of both crews and was left in charge of the worst of the job. I was under so much stress that my hair started to actually turn white and I was still in my 20's. I really learned a lot going through all that.

We couldn't bring most of the crew up there because of Union interference we had to hire most labor out of their jurisdiction.

are the unions still powerfull in the states ?
i do have an old plasterers union pin do you still have these ?

are the unions still powerfull in the states ?
i do have an old plasterers union pin do you still have these ?

The sad thing on that Alaskan job was that their union wouldn't recognize you as a union plasterer unless you moved your card up to their local, then all your benefits got paid into their pension and medical plans and if you didn't put in enough time up there you lost everything that got paid in to your benefits (thieves) they stole thousands of dollars from me. The unions that have retained their power are mostly in the government sector, transportation, education, "sanitation engineers", & grocery workers to name the ones that come to mind. If you have a contract with the government you have to either pay a union worker or pay union scale wages to a non-union worker for that job. I haven't been the union since 1989, but at that time we carried a "card".

Status
Not open for further replies.