Work-at-home mum with a render headache

Members online

TJohno

Hi everyone,

Seeking some expert advice on what's becoming a headache on our patio.

We've recently had a patio overhaul, including the building of a bar/BBQ area and raised planters. Both were built using breeze blocks and then rendered using regular cement render. For the finish we wanted, our builder recommended using K-Rend or similar. We opted for Johnstone's 1mm Enhanced Silicone Render. On the planters, the relevant Primer was applied first and then a couple of coats of the silicone render and it seems to have worked well, with a nice finish.

The Bar has turned out to be a nightmare. It's built on a curve which makes it a bit trickier, but after several coats of the silicone render, it looks patchy in places and has what look like air pockets. It also now looks like it has little cracks in it. Our builder is is still adding more coats of the silicone render to try and fix it, but it's just looking awful. Is the problem being made worse by adding more coats to try and fix it?

Any suggestions on how best to deal with this would be very welcome please. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• 20200825_160747.jpg
    20200825_160747.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 277
  • 20200825_160805.jpg
    20200825_160805.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 314
  • 20200825_160809.jpg
    20200825_160809.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 269
And on the eight day

God created Thermalites

Eden was looking a bit shabby

the base coat was not finished well enough to accept the acrylic finish. it looks like he tried to produce the bark finish by taking the roller round the shape of the wall.
you need to employ a plasterer with experience of this finish. not a builder/chancer.

Hi everyone,

Seeking some expert advice on what's becoming a headache on our patio.

We've recently had a patio overhaul, including the building of a bar/BBQ area and raised planters. Both were built using breeze blocks and then rendered using regular cement render. For the finish we wanted, our builder recommended using K-Rend or similar. We opted for Johnstone's 1mm Enhanced Silicone Render. On the planters, the relevant Primer was applied first and then a couple of coats of the silicone render and it seems to have worked well, with a nice finish.

The Bar has turned out to be a nightmare. It's built on a curve which makes it a bit trickier, but after several coats of the silicone render, it looks patchy in places and has what look like air pockets. It also now looks like it has little cracks in it. Our builder is is still adding more coats of the silicone render to try and fix it, but it's just looking awful. Is the problem being made worse by adding more coats to try and fix it?

Any suggestions on how best to deal with this would be very welcome please. Thanks so much.
just needs someone who has good experience in curve rendering not all plaster's can doo it I managed to master it myself tho it's still attention to detail that's required .I would of done 2 scratch coats normal sand and cement to get the levels near on point for and easy 5 /8mm top coat witch for me if your good enough once the render has set off enough that a sponge only no float finish works well . trying to silicon render a curv and finish it with the required finishing float to me is not easy /impossible . what is key to getting the perfect finishing on curve is getting the scratch coats perfectly flat and consistence all over . Wavey scratch coats useally mean shocking top coat finish and your fighting against to many thicker areas too to many thinner laid areas and thats recipes for bad finish. plus with curve rendering it should only be left to right spreading not vertical spreading . so I would put it down to the person doing it not having a great deal of experience doing curve's