23 year old Looking to learn the trade badly

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carld92

Hi there sorry for wasting your time but im just wondering if any plasterers would be willing to help me out , im really looking to learn the trade of plastering , ive been saving up for a 6 week plastering course the last while its gonna cost me £ 2300 and also 6 weeks paying rent an not working so basically its gonna cost me about 5 grand which is a lot of money for something that might not be worth it , im absolutely under no illusion that im going to be a qualified plasterer and take on the world after 6 weeks training, but on the other hand i couldnt afford to look for an apprenticeship so im trying to weigh up my options,im a painter and decorator by trade i really take pride in my job i served my apprenticeship and im in the trade 9 years but i always liked plastering and need a change as theres only so much painting you can take!if anyone is looking for a hand and is willing to train me up i would really appreciate it and work for free im 23 years old im originally from dublin but i live in london im a neat and tidy hardworker and i certainly wont waste your time time im reliable and well used to working on all types of projects i live in greenwich and willing to travel anywhere in London im available to start anytime after the 1st of january

thanks,Carl.

Learn plastering badly?,them short courses produce a lot of lads who do bad plastering!.Nearly had a heart attack when I read the money involved.Only my opinion but you'd be better off with a good oldtimer who won't take any messing and he'll teach you (over a few years) properly.Anyway good luck in your quest.

At your age best way to get experience is in a 1+1 gang, mixing for a spread and then catching your own small areas as well as trowelling beading cleaning etc. Working for free is a no go as far as I am concerned. Always concentrate on giving your employer value for money goes much better in my head and is the only sustainable option. Dublin is starting to pick up big time by the way

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

At your age best way to get experience is in a 1+1 gang, mixing for a spread and then catching your own small areas as well as trowelling beading cleaning etc. Working for free is a no go as far as I am concerned. Always concentrate on giving your employer value for money goes much better in my head and is the only sustainable option. Dublin is starting to pick up big time by the way

thats exactly what id be looking to find and what i had in mind as i wouldnt learn much labouring for 3 plasters simply mixing all day , i know theres plenty of work at the moment in dublin but im in london for atleast two years with the missus shes studying here so wont be heading home anytime soon ! a bit of luck someone will get back to me and give me a start thanks gor the message !

Learn plastering badly?,them short courses produce a lot of lads who do bad plastering!.Nearly had a heart attack when I read the money involved.Only my opinion but you'd be better off with a good oldtimer who won't take any messing and he'll teach you (over a few years) properly.Anyway good luck in your quest.

learn badly ha i didnt exactly word that correct! but yeh thats deffo the best way to learn i imagine ,i would be more than happy with that if i could find someone but the only problem would be how long id have to wait untill i can earn some money (300 would be enough to cover rent and stuff)if i could get that after 2 or 3 months, obviously wouldnt expect to be getting close to a time served plasterers wages

cheers for the advice

learn badly ha i didnt exactly word that correct! but yeh thats deffo the best way to learn i imagine ,i would be more than happy with that if i could find someone but the only problem would be how long id have to wait untill i can earn some money (300 would be enough to cover rent and stuff)if i could get that after 2 or 3 months, obviously wouldnt expect to be getting close to a time served plasterers wages

cheers for the advice
If you get a start doing a bit of labouring and gradually picking up the plastering you'll still have to be getting a wage,you can't live on fresh air especially in London so don't let people take advantage of you.Maybe some of the members here from the London area could advise on what money to expect starting off.Wages differ depending on where your based and obviously what you can do.I'm in Kildare so would'nt know the crack over there.

If you get a start doing a bit of labouring and gradually picking up the plastering you'll still have to be getting a wage,you can't live on fresh air especially in London so don't let people take advantage of you.Maybe some of the members here from the London area could advise on what money to expect starting off.Wages differ depending on where your based and obviously what you can do.I'm in Kildare so would'nt know the crack over there.

Yeh your right the thing is i dont want to just labour for plasterers throwing on mixes all day ive done that before for a mate giving him a hand for a month i wont learn much that way ,although i woukd get paid more for that , maybe the best thing for me is to try my best to find a plasterer who is willing to train me up and id happily work for free for atleast a couple of weeks anyway ive a bit of money put away that i was thinking about spending on that 6 week course that could keep me ticking over for awhile and then try get even 250 a week after that maybe

Thing is Carl, every plasterer needs to be a pretty hot labourer also, after all he needs to understand all the mixing process Int and ext, scaffolding and most of all cleaning and preparing, if you don't know how these are done proper and fast how can ever train your own labourer, labouring is the first part of the training.

Thing is Carl, every plasterer needs to be a pretty hot labourer also, after all he needs to understand all the mixing process Int and ext, scaffolding and most of all cleaning and preparing, if you don't know how these are done proper and fast how can ever train your own labourer, labouring is the first part of the training.

One of the best comments I've read on here in a long time.

I was talking to a tiler the other week on a job the other week. he said he'd been on a 5 day course plastering. he said you don't plaster the way we were shown on the course. and the way he explained was a load of bollox .... it makes you wonder if the guys teaching these courses are actually spreads ..... made me laugh when I said did the guy give you a demonstration he said no he wrote it all down on a white board. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.