3 million new houses.

Members online

Which glory days are these you speak of? I guarantee that this line is full of holes.
I certainly do not refer to them as glory days and never ever said so.. My reference to how it used to be before the relaxation of bank requirements for the right to buy in the early mid eighties. Before then most people rented private but mostly council houses.

There was throughout the 40's-50's-60's and 70's huge demand for housing from rebuilding from WW2, slum clearance and modernization, baby boomers (increase in population). There was full employment. I remember people still living in timber framed asbestos prefabs in the early 1980's in Coventry.

My points is the demand was always there. There was not much of a private house market until the late 1970's. There was a house shortage and had always had been to where Labour governments seized private land to build council estates. People just didnt have the huge debt in those days as very few had a mortgage let alone not being able to pay it.

I left school when Milton Keynes was coming out of the ground ....same spec on million pound plots as little 2 bedders.
It's been Shiite for 25 years mate.

Only sand cement houses we did were play boy mansions schools hospitals gyms etc.

Even selection boxes were better value back then :rico::rico::rico:
Was also called 'Milton Keynes New town' at the time as well I believe.

It was on radio today some guy in Sheffield says solution is to build houses out of steel storage units

It was on radio today some guy in Sheffield says solution is to build houses out of steel storage units

Sheffield people don;t exactly have a good reputation for good housing ideas, do they?
1546976710564.png

Steve flats are not a great idea. They were a late 50's - 60's idea already tried and caused more problems socially than the housing problems they were supposed to solve.

If they throw anything up similar now they will never call them flats,,,,,they are luxury apartments and only a few storys high.

Steve flats are not a great idea. They were a late 50's - 60's idea already tried and caused more problems socially than the housing problems they were supposed to solve.

If they throw anything up similar now they will never call them flats,,,,,they are luxury apartments and only a few storys high.

Green Quarter Manchester

1546978192755.png

Salford Quays
1546978110513.png

Manchester skyline when the current works are complete.

1546977972819.png

Flats or apartments?

Don't split hairs. It's the same thing and you know it. They're not luxury most of them, no matter what the developer says My not very luxury flat here is a whole lot bigger....they come with a modest kitchen diner, one single room, one double and a nice bathroom and that's yer lot.

Most of them would look something like that inside.

1546979052994.png

Yes I know I lived in one..........They knocked it down......It was called a 'Flat'. ..... New idea back then.

Yes I know I lived in one..........They knocked it down......It was called a 'Flat'. ..... New idea back then.
Unfortunately mate they are going down the route of flats again, Newham council have agreed plans to build 40.000 homes and majority are flats. When flats were first built we had a different people and they were kept as half decent homes. Now we have a atomized society with no cohesive groups. They became septic. All I can think is with cctv and on site security they think will achieve a different outcome. Maybe so for a few years until the security are the one's selling drugs or funding is cut or they need the cctv rooms for additional home.
Stevieo is wrong in thinking social housing will reduce spending, the council home of the past has Gone, they are classed as affordable housing now and much closer to private rental market than before. And until they reverse the immigration problem, there will be a never-ending shortage.
As for right to buy, that has been in part to blame for the inflated house prices we are now faced with. Buying a house with up to 75% discount gave way to more spending power. When just before the boom they brought for 40000 with discount and a few years later selling for 400000.
It took generations of tax payers money to build those homes for the English just to sell them at a loss to new immigrant arrivals. The amount of scams going on in east London buying council houses through 2nd party was sickening.

It's probably an age thing.

Council houses rents was strictly enforced and kept low. So there was no need for a housing rent allowance in the way that there is now. They were very affordable and kept private rented stock low as well. Trouble was the councils never made enough dosh to maintain them so the government had to bail them out. Which is why the governments were always at odds with councils because they always squandered the dosh on other things. Especially Liebor councils.

This was one reason besides boosting the financial sector why the 'right to buy' was bought in. Because it stopped the councils from wanting cash from the government. But now with the rent allowance being so huge (wonder which government allowed that?) everythings back to square one and probably costing more.

Flats/apartments are a good idea but the problem is........An area starts of great but eventually goes down. Areas never go up unless they are redeveloped. So the area of your flats/apartments will eventually become infested with low life. Then they become a terrible place to live.

Wonder if Stevio can produce figures of who is actually claimed housing allowance. May be interesting when broken down?

Last edited:
It's probably an age thing.

Council houses rents was strictly enforced and kept low. So there was no need for a housing rent allowance in the way that there is now. They were very affordable and kept private rented stock low as well. Trouble was the councils never made enough dosh to maintain them so the government had to bail them out. Which is why the governments were always at odds with councils because they always squandered the dosh on other things. Especially Liebor councils.

This was one reason besides boosting the financial sector why the 'right to buy' was bought in. Because it stopped the councils from wanting cash from the government. But now with the rent allowance being so huge (wonder which government allowed that?) everythings back to square one and probably costing more.

Flats/apartments are a good idea but the problem is........An area starts of great but eventually goes down. Areas never go up unless they are redeveloped. So the area of your flats/apartments will eventually become infested with low life. Then they become a terrible place to live.

Wonder if Stevio can produce figures of who is actually claimed housing allowance. May be interesting when broken down?
A small council I worked for formed a housing association and transferred all housing stock over. After a couple of years they were making over 7 million annual profit.
Our council's are incompetent fools, where half of them have only been employed to tick a box instead of by merit.

I spoke with someone I know in management at Newham council. Apparently they had some in house plumbers working PAYE on general maintenance earning nearly 150000, basic was 50000 they rest earnt through call outs during day (when they are being paid anyway).
Even if I had the opportunity to earn that I still would not move back.
East Anglia is giving my kids a nice childhood.

Yep all the 70's sitcom tv series jokes/sketches about unions, council workers, Liebor politicians and the rest are all very accurate. I think they have recently made a comeback as well.............or perhaps they never really went away.